• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Fan Fiction Mafia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sike Saner

Peace to the Mountain
How do you get past a rut in the planning stages of your fic?

Movies. Movies, movies, movies, movies, movies. As many as I can find time for. Helps with visualizing things and thinking sequentially.

What was your main motivation for joining the Serebii forums? Was it the stories you read, the community, or just a whim? If it was the stories, which one was it?

It definitely had to do with the ff community here, and I think the final straw was the original version of Dawn of a New Legacy. I'd been reading pokéfic here and there whenever I could get to the library, but that story was the thing that made me decide okay, I'm getting in on this soon as I have internet access at home.

CuriousHeartless

What was your main motivation for joining the Serebii forums? Was it the stories you read, the community, or just a whim? If it was the stories, which one was it?

I actually joined the forums to participate in the Games forum. I actually was a lurker for years by that point. I decided to join as, get this, a Christmas present for myself. I was kind of odd back then. I still am weird, but a different kind of weird.

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord

Just "joined" would be too short of a story, so I'll do why I joined and why I re-joined.]

Why I joined was simply to socialize with other Pokemon fans. Fanfic-wise I was quickly attracted to and inspired by fics by Elvyorg and Sike Saner and Dragonfree, but my initial (unpublished) attempts at fanfic didn't go anywhere and I eventually left because I worried my behavior was too newbish.

However years later I came back to review a friend's fic and later entered the Interpretations and Alpha and Omega contests. I've stuck around ever since.

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
JX Valentine said:
Y'know, oddly enough, we had a discussion about that a couple pages back.
Oh, uh, I didn't mean starting from scratch and doing a complete re-write. I would keep the same thread and keep SOME of the chapters the way they were, just go back and edit certain parts. But either way, your advice along with Umbramatic's and bobandbill's was really helpful :) Thank you so much! Now I know the direction I want to go; it's just a matter of actually getting going XD

I take time off and think about it. I might go for a swim or on a bike ride, though I do most of my brainstorming when I'm about to sleep. When I lie down, I used to make up stories in my mind to help me fall asleep; now I use this time to plan on where I want my fic to go and how it's going to go about. As many have said, taking a break works for a lot of people.

And you say you know where you want Protagonist A to go, so think of the different ways that s/he could get there. I know it takes a lot of time, but I find that when I write down one way then go back and look at it later I can decide whether or not that way is plausible or turns out how I want it to.

Well, THIS is going to be pathetic, but here it goes....

I actually didn't get into fanfiction until after I joined the forums. Around the time I first found Serebii, I didn't have many friends and was really lonely a lot of the time. Then I found this site, which was pretty much a bunch of people coming together and talking about Pokemon, my favorite thing in the world at that time. Realizing that other people held this nterest, I joined, and was actually really happy for a while. THEN I found fanfiction, (and did not have a good first experience >_<), left that area for a bit, but would occasionally come back to participate in contests and such.

Now, I'm only on the forums for fanfiction and a select few people I keep in contact with.

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
Oh, some questions from the archive I felt compelled to answer:

Have you ever seriously considered a career in writing? And if so, what sort of stories would you write?

I'm pretty damn sure that's what I want, but at the same time I'm pretty damn sure I'd need a day job too. I'd probably be writing fantasy, but as Spiteful Murkrow mentioned writing video game scripts would be pretty cool.

How far ahead do you plan before you start writing?

Depends. Some of my older stuff I started writing as soon as I got the idea. Crater Dreams took a couple weeks before I actually wrote it. Caging Destruction took a few months to get written. Truth and Heroes After All will have been in the planning stages for over a year by the time I start writing them. And there's one fic for further down the line I've had the idea for since 2007.

Does anyone in real life know that you write fanfiction?

I'm actually pretty open about it, at least with my friends and family. ^_^; No one seems to mind.

EDIT:

Oh, uh, I didn't mean starting from scratch and doing a complete re-write. I would keep the same thread and keep SOME of the chapters the way they were, just go back and edit certain parts. But either way, your advice along with Umbramatic's and bobandbill's was really helpful :) Thank you so much! Now I know the direction I want to go; it's just a matter of actually getting going XD

Glad I could help! And what you said you wanted to do is a way I'd recommend tackling it.

Last edited:

Dragonfree

Just me

Heh. When I first joined the Serebii.net forums, back in 2003 (my registration date is in 2004, but that's because the forum got wiped and everyone had to reregister), I didn't know what fanfiction was! I was thirteen and did not know the word "fiction", so when I saw this weird section called "Fan Fiction" I just saw "Fan Somethingweird" and ignored it. I was here to talk about Pokémon.

Some months later, I curiously clicked this link in a guy's signature on a post in General Pokémon Discussion or something that said "From Rookie to Champion" with the Gold and Kris sprites from G/S/C around it, wondering just what that was and why he was linking to it. What I found, to my great surprise, was that it was a story about Pokémon, and it was in that weird Fan Fiction forum and actually everything else in the Fan Fiction forum was also stories about Pokémon and actually lots of people wrote stories about Pokémon, not just me and a couple of other people.

Then I plowed through all the chapters of that fic and posted my first review. I remember for some reason I thought the little Butterfree icon in the smilie box was really cool and wanted to find some excuse to include it in my post, so I started the review with "Now that I've read through this whole story, I feel as free as a Butterfree! ;012;" 2003 me was kind of a ridiculous dork.

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH

I remember reading a few fanfics while lurking back in 2006 and one of Saffire Persian's stories that inspired me to write Pokemon fanfiction. I don't remember the title, but the basic plot is a trainer who lost their Charizard and remembering some stuff they did together.

Knightfall

Blazing Wordsmith

It was two stories, actually, that piqued my interest. I'm not sure how I came by the stories, but my first interaction with the Fan Fiction forums was around 2010 when I clicked a banner for Chibi Pika's Legendarian Chronicles and proceeded to binge-read the whole thing.

The story that got me into writing however, was Pokenutter's Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Journal. Considering I love the PMD series and my younger self thought "hey, if Pokenutter can write a story based on my favorite game, I can too!" So, that's the gist of how I came to join the forums and begin writing.

Knightfall signing off... ;005;

Here's a new topic:

Besides Pokémon, what is your favorite fandom, and would you ever want to write a story within that fandom?

Personally, I'm a huge sucker for the Fire Emblem series, and would love to see a story written within its mythos. I don't know if I'd personally want to write one myself, but I'm sure that others have, and if I did, it would probably have to do with either Awakening or the Tellius Saga. (Or maybe I could just wait for the new one to come out in 2016.)

Penny for your thoughts.

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Besides Pokémon, what is your favorite fandom, and would you ever want to write a story within that fandom?

Digimon. And yes, considering I've written and completed my longest story yet for that fandom and am currently working on a sequel. I'm pretty happy with the way it's turning out.

I'd also kinda like to try a fic for the Mass Effect fandom just because the worldbuilding is so great, but I wouldn't know where to start.

Dragonfree

Just me

Breaking Bad is currently my favorite work of fiction. I once attempted to write a short fic for it, but I didn't get very far (like, a paragraph or two) and it wasn't turning out right, so I don't really count it.

I've written somewhat more substantial stories/beginnings of stories for ReGenesis, Community, Ace Attorney and How I Met Your Mother. It's not so much proportional to how much I like the fandom in question as to whether I happen to get ideas (or happen to have a friend who likes to encourage me to write fic, as with the Community fic which is the only non-Pokémon fanfic I've actually finished).

Sike Saner

Peace to the Mountain

The big ones right now are Homestuck, OFF, and Brütal Legend. I've written a couple of short, intermission-centric fics for the first of those, but none of them will see the light of day without major overhauls. The latter two fandoms I mostly just RP in (or used to, in the case of OFF), but I did type up a little Brütal Legend ficlet last year. It will never see the light of day under any circumstances.

elyvorg

somewhat backwards.

My past self would never have believed this if you'd told her, but I have actually started writing some fanfiction that isn't Pokémon. Since the thing about Pokémon fanfiction, at least for me, is that you can write it while only ever writing your own original characters because the main point is the world itself, the idea of writing fanfiction in any other fandom has still always seemed like quite a different thing in my head. But now I'm writing, like, proper fanfiction about canon characters that aren't mine. This idea used to terrify me, because what if I get a character I like even slightly out of character that would be the worst thing ever. I still can't quite wrap my head around the fact that I'm casually doing this now.

The fandom in question is Persona 4 and its spinoffs, which I've been inordinately obsessed with ever since watching an LP of the game - although "fandom" doesn't really feel like the right word because I don't participate in the actual fandom beyond warily peeking in from the outside, but. Initially, for Dragonfree's birthday (having been the one to encourage her to play the games) I wrote a silly crossover between her fic Morphic and Persona 4 in which a couple of characters from each inexplicably meet and interact because we'd joked about them doing so once and I thought it'd amuse her. I say "silly", but I still did everything I could to keep everyone in character, because the amusingness of their interactions would mean nothing if it wasn't really them.

More recently I started writing an actually serious Persona 4 fic, taking a scenario from one of the games and altering it to allow for more interesting character interaction than the canon version of events had (because that was what I'd been led to hope for from trailers and was disappointed when it didn't actually happen in the game). I'd been toying with the idea of maybe writing it for some time - in some sense I used the silly crossover thing as a way to gauge whether I'd be comfortable writing these characters in a light-hearted context before I attempted something more serious. Then I also rather spontaneously wrote a completely different Persona 4 thing in the space of one evening because I was talking to Dragonfree about a dream I'd had involving the characters, started thinking more about the scenario the dream presented and ended up writing it from where the dream left off. It was only 300 words, but I really liked how it came out. I'm never actually going to post either of them anywhere, though; since I don't participate in the fandom, I'm just writing for myself (and Dragonfree, since she likes the games too and always wants to read anything I write).

It was interesting to discover that, for me, there's somewhat different thought processes involved in writing a character that isn't mine compared to writing one that is. If I'm writing a character that I created, I can easily simulate their thought processes completely, and all the questions like "how would they react to this?" get answered automatically since everything about them came from my mind in the first place, largely subconsciously. It's only after the fact that I look at their actions and come up with a conscious description of what makes them tick. If I'm writing someone else's character, though, while I understand them well enough to be able to subconsciously simulate a decent approximation of how they'd think and act (if I didn't, I wouldn't even attempt to write them), I constantly have to stop myself and check their actions against my conscious understanding of how the character works that I've already built up from all my time thinking about the source material, because I can't trust that I'll get it completely right from subconscious simulation alone. It makes writing take a little longer, but it can be fun, since it gives me more reasons to think about the inner workings of characters that I like.

...I did also once write a Doctor Who fic way, way back - just a more-of-the-same-adventures type of story, something the show's format lends itself well to - having apparently managed to lock away my fear of mangling characters I like for a long enough period of time. It's probably terrible, and I haven't looked at it for years and don't intend to ever again. So I don't really count that, even though I did finish it. (Part of me is afraid that once my obsession with Persona 4 eventually dies down, I'll start to feel that way about these fics I'm writing now, too.) I also briefly attempted an Ace Attorney fic, but quickly realised that I didn't understand the character involved well enough to be getting them right at all, so I gave up and doubt I'll ever go back to it.

There are a few other works that I've more recently toyed with the idea of writing stuff for - like Dragonfree, for me it's also less proportional to how much I like the thing in question and more just down to whether interesting scenarios cross my mind during all my time thinking about the thing - but I haven't actually started writing any of them due to the aforementioned fear of getting characters wrong. Hmm. Maybe now that my adventures in Persona 4 fanfiction have softened me up a little, I might consider going back and trying to make something of one or two of those ideas someday.

gorgonfish

ribbit-ribbit

Once Upon A Time, the ABC show. The first season was pretty good, with a focus on all the folklore/Disney characters and interesting flashbacks. Then it veered off into soap opera territory with themed characters from Frozen or Wizard of Oz to draw viewers only to put them on a bus at the end of the half-season arc. It's already built as a crossover series so why not bring in characters and worldbuilding from A Midsummer Night's Dream, Kingdom Hearts, Monsters Inc, Where the Wild Things Are, and a whole bunch of creepy fairytales from other cultures.

Boku no Hero Academia. The closest thing to describe this manga is Harry Potter meets X-Men. It brings the mysterious, steady worldbuilding and addictive characterization of Harry Potter with the eclectic superpowers of X-Men. The main character is a hardworking kid who's a fan of superheroes and takes detailed notes about all of them. My OTP is made up of a frog girl and a dude who shoots cellophane tape out of his elbows and swings around like Spider-Man. I want to write in this fandom a lot, but there are a dozen other things I want to write first and two or three that I have to update first. Highly suggest this series, it only has 39 chapters out right now, has tons of cool characters, and the artwork is superb.

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
@Elvyorg Oh hi, nice to see you! Good luck on that Persona fic!

It was interesting to discover that, for me, there's somewhat different thought processes involved in writing a character that isn't mine compared to writing one that is. If I'm writing a character that I created, I can easily simulate their thought processes completely, and all the questions like "how would they react to this?" get answered automatically since everything about them came from my mind in the first place, largely subconsciously. It's only after the fact that I look at their actions and come up with a conscious description of what makes them tick. If I'm writing someone else's character, though, while I understand them well enough to be able to subconsciously simulate a decent approximation of how they'd think and act (if I didn't, I wouldn't even attempt to write them), I constantly have to stop myself and check their actions against my conscious understanding of how the character works that I've already built up from all my time thinking about the source material, because I can't trust that I'll get it completely right from subconscious simulation alone. It makes writing take a little longer, but it can be fun, since it gives me more reasons to think about the inner workings of characters that I like.

That's basically how it is with me at first, but as I get enough practice and keep imagining the characters in different scenarios it starts to come more naturally. So keep at it!

Probably Paper Mario or Super Smash Bros. As for stories in those...

I've got a really vague Paper Mario idea featuring Bleck and Tippi but it's... really vague and I'm not sure what it would do to the original story spiritually so it's on the backburner right now.

As for Smash Bros... I've had a lot of ideas, and I'm actually working on one right now! It's a very silly, kinda crack-y oneshot that will hopefully help me move past my rut planning Truth and Heroes After All. As for the plot... I'll just say it involves Disney too.

Also because PhalanxSigil mentioned it I also love Fire Emblem and have a oneshot for that planned down the line.

Creepychu

The horror
How do you come up with chapter/story titles?

At the last minute and through relentless trial and error for the most part. I have a hard time coming up with titles that are relevant and succinct without feeling pretentious to me and much like with character names, it usually takes a while of working with a name for me to really get comfortable with it. My chapters in particular are often just called chapter 1, 2, 3 etc. until - and sometimes beyond - it's time to finalize them. As a result, I'm a big fan of coming up with some sort of overarching theme to apply to chapter names in my chaptered fics, since that way I can extrapolate the next name out of the previous one rather than having to go through the whole trial and error process each time.

Do you maintain a publishing schedule for your fic(s)? If so, how does yours work?

Only if I already have multiple chapters' worth of material written up ahead of time. In those cases, one per week or one per two weeks are the usual basic I work off, varied by reader interest and activity.

What words, or phrases, do you use too much?

Small interjections like 'However' and 'although' are regular offenders. In phrases 'on the other hand', 'as well as', and 'the fact that' are also quite common. I'm sure I have more, but I'd have to pay closer attention to my writing habits to ferret them out.

It depends on the cause of the rut. If I'm in a rut over wording or expressing the idea right, I'll just lay down a rough framework (typically bulletpoints) and either skip over to a different part of the idea or leave the clean write for later; if it's a rut of getting ideas out at all, I'll usually take a break away from the planning and let it hang on the back burner while I focus on other things. Things like this have a tendency to pop back up and develop on their own for me when given time, so if nothing's coming out it's usually a sign that the well's run dry for a while.

In my case, I actually joined twice. The first time was way back when 4th gen announcements were just starting to come out and was purely on a whim as I recall. I was just curious about some of the things going on around the forums, so I made an account and got a few posts in. Then real life got in the middle and I took an extended break from the fandom as a whole and by the time I thought of the forums again, my original account name and verification information were long lost to the ravages of time, leading to my second joining. At first, I just poked around to see how sections I had lurked at were doing, and gradually I got more and more interested about the discussion going on in fanfic. The triggering incident was reading Negrek's Salvage though. It had been a long while since I lost track of time reading fanfic, so by the time I put it down I just knew I had to get in and say my piece. Then once the initial barrier of setting up an account was behind me, I spotted a bunch of Author's café topics that caught my eye and then one thing led to another. Salvage was what gave me that initial push though.

Have you ever tried/want to write some other fandom besides Pokémon?

These two questions are very much in the same vein, so I'll just go ahead and give a one for two answer here and say I'm not actually that much of a fandom person usually. I have a ton of different game series that appeal to me, but I don't actually keep contact with the fanbase in all that many of them, and the ones I do do it for are mostly strategy games that interest me mechanically rather than narratively, so pass on the favorite fandom I suppose. I do get inspirations when I read, watch, or play something I enjoy all the time though, so I've at least dabbled with writing for most fandoms I've enjoyed.

That being said, Persona is a series I pick up and bounce ideas around for all the time. Tarot has always fascinated me as a storytelling tool, and when you throw in the delightfully alien aesthetic with the shadows and the series' potential for using environment and creatures as a tool for characterization there's a lot of appeal to go around. It also shares some common characteristic with pokémon in that it feels like a lot of these things are only lightly touched upon in canon, which leaves a lot of comfortably wide gaps for me to work with.

More specifically, I've toyed with the idea of trying to diverge from my normal creative process by writing a chaptered Persona fic where each chapter corresponds to a different major arcana from tarot. The idea is to firstly work with a set length (Prologue + 21 chapters tops) and secondly set soft limits on the wider dramatic arc of the story (through the arcana associations), both things I normally leave wide open when I write. Needless to say there's plenty of ways it can go horribly wrong, not least by winding up overly pretentious because of the arcana thing, so it's not really something I've planned to put out for general reading, but I'm hoping it'll be good exercise and it'd be nice to finally get some of my ideas for the fandom (and my enjoyment of tarot) into writing.

Last edited:

CuriousHeartless

A few answers to this. Firstly, Digimon. It's been a while since I've seen anything Digimon, but I still like the franchise. I might one day redo my old story Digimon: Spiral Force (Which died like two and a half years ago. How does time go so quickly?), and it had set-up to be part of a series that I might use. It's less likely, but I might also redo Tamer's War or do a totally new story. Although I'm never touching Digimon Season X, my first fanfic, ever again. EVER. Like, it's really bad and I'm embarrassed that I ever wrote it.

Then there's Yu-Gi-Oh! I'm not as big a fan as I once was, and this is one of the few fandoms where I actually hate the shipping part, but I might still be interested in doing a Yu-Gi-Oh! fic one day. I'd have to get caught up on like three years or so worth of cards and metagame though.

Kingdom Hearts. I love this series. I should probably get around to actually writing the comedy fic I said I'd write...I think three years ago. I actually started on it and then stopped working so long ago that the latest game and all of the Collections have come out since then.

Shin Megami Tensei (Including Persona, even if that is usually considered a separate fandom). These are amazing games and I love them, they've even helped me make a friend. I've posted one SMT one-shot and am working on a Persona chapter fic, and plan to do more stories for the fandom.

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH

I mentioned sometime ago I wrote fics for FMA and Homestuck. With FMA I have friends that are able to pinpoint anytime a canon character isn't themselves and bobandbill has been a big help whenever he checks my Homestuck fics. I've also participated in a few writing challenges for those fandoms and they're pretty fun.

One other fandom that I enjoyed was the Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire series. I found one livejournal community that has various fic prompts and there was one google doc document I created where I save the prompts I'm interested in. I haven't gotten to those yet and probably won't as I don't think I can do the characters justice.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod

The short version - it wasn't for fics.

I discovered the forums in the pre-DP days. It was during a boring computer class in school when I was telling people about a fake Pokemon Diamond game (pirate-translated version of the Telefang games) and hit google (and maybe wikipedia as a result) to show them some info about it. And then I found out that there was a real Pokemon Diamond (and Pearl) game being made, and it linked to serebii for info. Later on I read the forums, and then for whatever reason after another while made an account.

But I wasn't very active, just posting every now and again. (The bad server lag of those days did not help, haha). I found the fic forum via a banner in someone's signature within the DP section to a decent but sadly unfinished fic featuring a Kirlia and Combusken (called Kentucky) going on an adventure. Found a link! (There's an updated version too but also unfinished). I had found fics before that I think, over on the website trsrockin.com (now on the Way Back Machine) - the person there put up a few stories of their own.

Before that I had written some comedy scripts, and then decided to try something else. Then a friend lent me Pokemon Colosseum, i played and liked the heck out of it, and then wondered about some of the stuff in that. Soon enough i decided I might try a parody of the game, and then started my first fic. Blah blah rest is history. :V

I do not know which is my favourite, but I do have other favourites. Whole bunch - in no particular order, Pikmin, Paper Mario (particularly TTYD), Ace Attorney, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter... I like some shows too (Seinfeld :>), books (Diana Wynne Jones!), etc.

But I haven't been too motivated to write anything for other fandoms often, Pokemon is just my main interest with fics and articles. I did do a one-shot for Ace Attorney some years ago, and have toyed with some rough ideas for a longer fic for that, but not seriously. I've also had some ideas for flash fiction for animal crossing too.

Spiteful Murkrow

Early Game Encounter

If we're defining 'fandom' as in 'a group of people that care about something'... Does programming count as a fandom? Because I've already written a story dealing with that... Kinda. If you meant it more narrowly in the sense of 'a group of people that care about some work of fiction', then that's harder for me to say, since good works can have some fairly awful fandoms at times.

If the question is referring to 'franchises' like some of the earlier interpretations had it, then the obvious candidate is by and far MOTHER. It's a rather comfy series with some endearing writing that hasn't ever quite been dislodged from that special place in my heart. Its fandom is rather awe-inspiring at times, if a bit insular (and it forever holds my thanks for allowing me to play the third game in my native tongue). As for writing a fic related to it... I suppose never say never, but MOTHER feels like one of those series where there's significantly fewer open ends to work with and more canonical 'toes' to step on for fanfic than a franchise like Pokemon provides.

As for other things that I've grown particularly enamored with... It would be quite a list, but the big offhand mentions right now would be Paper Mario, The World Ends With You, Okami, The Wonderful 101, Calvin & Hobbes, and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. As for writing a fic about any of them, it would honestly boil down to me stumbling across something that I feel ought to be told about them someone else hasn't already that I felt confident taking a stab at.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.