• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Fan Fiction Rules - Please Read

Status
Not open for further replies.

VS

they/she
That's an excellent idea. If it's to bad to be PG than it's not PG though. Explain how bad it is to not be PG please.

I made a prologue, but it is only one page long. Do I have to make it longer to two pages like the chapters or can I leave it be and start creating the first post for my fan fic? I just wanted to make sure seince it wasn't all that clear to me.

~Thanks

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
No, prologues don't have to be full length chapters (see rule #9).

GalladeofSpades

Imaginative 24/7
Alright, so I'm currently writing a Total Drama/Pokémon Crossover. It has some romance in it, so I'm not sure if it goes here or on the Shipping Fics forum. Which forum is the right one?

if your fic centers around a relationship then it's a shipping fic, if it centers around something else even if it has some romance, then no.

KyuremCraze

Aspiring Author
Hey guys! I'm sorry of this question's been awnsered or explained, but is having two fics at the same time allowed? Some of you (not too much) will know about my fanfic (Exciting League Battles) and I wanted to know if I could start a fic that is happening at the same time as the mentioned fic?

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Is it okay to have a main character own a legendary or two?
I don't mean at the beginning but like near the end

SonicSceptile

Elite Strategist
Quick Question. If my fanfic has some violence (around maybe one non-pokemon fight scene in every four chapters and it's at about chapter 13 in development), low level swearing throughout (with a couple of moments where without certain language it doesn't feel right) and a couple of innuendos, is it PG or higher? I could always just tone down the cussing a little.

Psychic

Really and truly
Is it okay to have a main character own a legendary or two?
I don't mean at the beginning but like near the end
There's nothing wrong with it, you just have to be careful with how you do it. For instance, think about how you treat legendaries in your universe: are they gods? Are they just very rare species (so there's more than just one Moltres in the world, for instance)? Are they one-of-a-kind? Have many trainers captured legendaries before? Consider how strong legendaries are, and if your character will be strong enough to capture them. Also consider why they'd catch them - is your character a rare Pokemon collector, or do they just want Pokemon that will pwn all their opponents? Will the legendaries have an important role in the story, or do you just want your character to own them because it'll make him/her look cool? Think about it before you go ahead with it. :>

Quick Question. If my fanfic has some violence (around maybe one non-pokemon fight scene in every four chapters and it's at about chapter 13 in development), low level swearing throughout (with a couple of moments where without certain language it doesn't feel right) and a couple of innuendos, is it PG or higher? I could always just tone down the cussing a little.
It's less about how much violence there is than the level of violence. Are the fights the kind of thing you'd see in the Pokemon anime, or is there blood? Is the swearing above "damn" and "hell"? How explicit is the innuendo? Depending on your answers, it would probably be PG or PG-13. Hope this helps!

~Psychic

Liz Azzimagica

Angelic Trainer
question...I'm not gonna get in trouble for doing "^^" this alot in my fanfics am I? cause I do that alot to show happiness...and do this: >> << >< not all 3 in a row but, that, to show anger...not on their own though...O please don't say I'm in trouble...I-I've always done it in RP (cries)

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
question...I'm not gonna get in trouble for doing "^^" this alot in my fanfics am I? cause I do that alot to show happiness...and do this: >> << >< not all 3 in a row but, that, to show anger...not on their own though...O please don't say I'm in trouble...I-I've always done it in RP (cries)
I'm afraid that having done it in an RP before doesn't make it an acceptable writing form for here in regular dialogue.

You're not in trouble for it first time around, but it would be good to drop it for a number of reasons. I'll start with the rules:
6) Stories must be of the proper quality.
•If you're posting online, you're expected to use proper spelling and grammar. Otherwise the thread will be locked immediately. If it is readable but still below an average quality level, you will be warned and told to make improvements. These improvements must show in your next chapter, and anything with poor quality edited. If no changes are made, the thread will be locked.
(...)
•This also means that proofreading is essential. Proofread your fic at least twice before posting it; often you can pick up your own mistakes which the program you’re using won't always find. You’d be surprised to see how many things you can fix the second time you look at your work.
(...)
•Any stories that contain images or smilies (such as and ) instead of text will be closed immediately. If you wish to include pictures they should be in the author’s notes at the beginning or end of the chapter. Pictures do not replace words.
•We also ask that you do not change the color or font size (except for headings) of your text. It may make your story harder to read, especially for those using different forum skins.
Those are all a number of things that currently apply to your fic. Try any book - you won't see people using things like '^^' to show that a character is happy ever, unless there is a scenerio in which they are using chatspeak in, well, a chat program. Which wasn't the case in your story. So I'm afraid you'd have to drop that part.

It's also not adviseable because it's just not good writing. What is good writing is to describe how the character feels with description on what they do, how they speak, etc. For instance, a happy person is not going to mumble quietly and walk about slowly with their head down, but it's very hard to imagine someone is happy with a straight face when you just use '^^' to indicate it.

Liz Azzimagica

Angelic Trainer
guess I don't even cacth a break for being slightly autistic :( cause I always type "^^" when even talking to someone or texting when happy, or RP like I said...I don't do it on purpose, it's automatic...I'm not trying to press an issue, just saying I have odd querks I can't control sometimes

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
With writing, odd quirks are controllable though. You should only post work after editing it, so even if you find yourself putting in emoticons in your writing then editing is the time to look through it and fix such things. As such, I don't feel that being autistic is an excuse in this situation, as writing is not an immediate response thing. When talking to someone directly for example then sure, I can get that, but not so with writing stories when you have the time to edit/change what you say, how you say, before posting it.

shadow_zoroark

Think They Saw Us?
Quick question, you said not to post separate parts of chapters in different posts, but would it be okay to have a parted chapter, so long as I post all parts in the same chapter at the same time?

Quick question, you said not to post separate parts of chapters in different posts, but would it be okay to have a parted chapter, so long as I post all parts in the same chapter at the same time?

You mean if the chapter is so long that you need to continue it onto a second post? If so, then yes, that's allowed.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
If the story is better presented like that in your opinion and you're posting all the parts of the chapter at the same time then it's fine.

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
I have a question...I posted my story onto fanfiction, and I'm already up to chapter 3. Chapter 2 is of course already done. However, I kind of didn't want to post it here yet...Now I feel like it.

Whats the interval between chapters? I understand that if no one responds to the fic for a little bit I can post the second chapter. However, as I said before, I'm already done with chapter 1 and 2, meaning that they can both be uploaded technically.

All I'm asking is how long I should wait to upload the next chapter thats already done. What is the minimum time, or what is the time you'd recommend? I don't want to break rules...D:>

A side note, the chapters for this story usually take me a week less then a month to complete because i have other stuff to do and I just don't feel like it sometimes. But that could obviously change depending on the content of the chapter, or how many people want to see more. :/...

And yes the first chapter is horribly short compared to the second one. That was slightly done on purpose, and slightly done on accident. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.