• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Fan Fiction Rules - Please Read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firebrand

Indomitable
I have a question...I posted my story onto fanfiction, and I'm already up to chapter 3. Chapter 2 is of course already done. However, I kind of didn't want to post it here yet...Now I feel like it.

Whats the interval between chapters? I understand that if no one responds to the fic for a little bit I can post the second chapter. However, as I said before, I'm already done with chapter 1 and 2, meaning that they can both be uploaded technically.

All I'm asking is how long I should wait to upload the next chapter thats already done. What is the minimum time, or what is the time you'd recommend? I don't want to break rules...D:>

A side note, the chapters for this story usually take me a week less then a month to complete because i have other stuff to do and I just don't feel like it sometimes. But that could obviously change depending on the content of the chapter, or how many people want to see more. :/...

And yes the first chapter is horribly short compared to the second one. That was slightly done on purpose, and slightly done on accident. lol

As long as you like. It could be immediately after, or the next day, or the next week. I found that having chapters pre-written and staggering the release schedule gives you a buffer so you have more time to write chapters, but how you do it is up to you. Honestly, whatever timeframe you think fitting.

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
As long as you like. It could be immediately after, or the next day, or the next week. I found that having chapters pre-written and staggering the release schedule gives you a buffer so you have more time to write chapters, but how you do it is up to you. Honestly, whatever timeframe you think fitting.

Okay thanks. I understand. :3...

Now I uploaded it. lol Hopefully I got the right idea...

hawkeye721

なんと素敵な歌!!!!!!!!
If I wanted to do a retelling of a book, but with pokemon, would that be considered plagiarism? Ofcourse I will write it myself, but the story would be the same.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
If I wanted to do a retelling of a book, but with pokemon, would that be considered plagiarism? Ofcourse I will write it myself, but the story would be the same.

A lot of people do this kind of thing, and it's pretty kosher according to fandom. However, it's important to keep in mind that doing a fic like this has its risks. If you basically have the entire story be the same with very little changes in the plot save for the fact that the characters are now Pokémon (or Pokémon-related), that tends to come off as cheesy and uncreative. If you take the premise and base a story off it that's completely your own (completely your own plot points and everything), then it's a bit easier to swallow.

For example, if you want to write Romeo and Juliet but only replace all the characters with Pokémon, that's not going to be seen as creative. If you just have two Pokémon from warring species fall in love before offing themselves due to misunderstandings and if the rest of the story beyond that is basically your own invention, then it's seen as an interesting retelling.

Hopefully, that makes a bit of sense there.

johno1995

I've written a proper, feature-length Pokémon screenplay in PDF format... I cannot post it here then because it's a link to another site?

Or should I attach the full PDF script to the post & post just an example - or perhaps the first few pages of the script - in the original post?

Because I really want to share my script but the rules state I cannot link to another site and was just wondering if there were exceptions to that, or what my options are :D

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
I've written a proper, feature-length Pokémon screenplay in PDF format... I cannot post it here then because it's a link to another site?

Or should I attach the full PDF script to the post & post just an example - or perhaps the first few pages of the script - in the original post?

Because I really want to share my script but the rules state I cannot link to another site and was just wondering if there were exceptions to that, or what my options are :D

...You can't copy and paste the text from the original document? (If you wrote the fic via a PDF creator, I would be simultaneously impressed and confused as to why you did that instead of doing what most people do -- that is, write it via a word processor and then convert the document to a PDF.)

johno1995

I can copy & paste from the original document (written via Final Draft), but it's formatted as a film so it's just a matter of breaking it up into chapters, which might be a hassle because I'll have to pace it all over again.

Was just wondering if there would be an easier alternative, but if that's what it takes, I'll do it. :D

Last edited:

yiran

Is it acceptable to leave a review exclusively for early chapters if the story is too long to read in one sitting and I still want to give a review?

Dragonfree

Just me
Sure, although you could of course also read the story over multiple sittings and then post one long review.

yiran

Thanks for the answer. (As for why not the long review, to put it somewhat harshly, not all stories make me want to read on to the end or however far it has progressed, so…)

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
Hello there. I was wondering if you can help me find which one or few of the pokemon fanfiction(s) that Ash beat Paul and/or Trip into the pulp. The only one that I know for right now is called "From Servant to Stardom" where Abilityshipping takes place and Ash crushed his Sinnoh rival. The problem is that I don't know which one because it has a lot of stories and its hard to tell. If there's any other fics that Ash beat Paul at the very least, please let me know. I'll be more than happy to read it.

Last edited:

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
Hey there! I have a question. I have a fic in script format at the moment but I kind of miss writing it in paragraphs etc (not sure how it's called haha). It's against the rules to write it both ways but what if I write a note on top saying that script format won't be used anymore in my fic and I change it completely? would that still be against the rules? :s

Psychic

Really and truly
Hey there! I have a question. I have a fic in script format at the moment but I kind of miss writing it in paragraphs etc (not sure how it's called haha). It's against the rules to write it both ways but what if I write a note on top saying that script format won't be used anymore in my fic and I change it completely? would that still be against the rules? :s
The word you're looking for is "prose." :> And yes, it is against the rules to write half in script (bolded for clarity).
9) Types of Stories.
Scripts: The format plays and screenplays are written to instruct actors. No scripted fics are allowed unless they are properly written scripts. This means they include details on the setting, characters’ emotions/tone of voice, and stage direction.​
Scripts are generally discouraged here, as a lot of people write them out of laziness, and it shows. These are one of the hardest types of stories to pull off well, as scripts are not meant to be read, but performed by actors. Fics can not be written half in script form and half in prose - your format must be consistent. We know when it's being done out of laziness.
If you're going to switch to prose form, just edit your dialogue. We know it can be a pain to have to go through your entire fic changing it, but your readers will thank you for it. :>

~Psychic

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
Okay, weird question- in celebration of April Fool's Day, I sabotaged a chapter of my own fanfic. I just finished correcting it, but I'd like to give people the option to see the pranked version. I would rather not risk looking like I'm bumping my fic without reason, so would it be against the rules to provide a link to the pranked version on another site in the author's notes at the end of the chapter?

Psychic

Really and truly
Okay, weird question- in celebration of April Fool's Day, I sabotaged a chapter of my own fanfic. I just finished correcting it, but I'd like to give people the option to see the pranked version. I would rather not risk looking like I'm bumping my fic without reason, so would it be against the rules to provide a link to the pranked version on another site in the author's notes at the end of the chapter?
Sure thing. You can also include both versions of the chapter in the thread too, if you like - it's not bumping if what you post is actually relevant to the fic. :>

~Psychic

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
Alright, then. Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.