• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Fan Fiction Rules - Please Read

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncan

As far as I know, there is no strict limit on the length of a prologue (barring something ridiculously short like a paragraph). So yes, I would say you would do fine to post a one page prologue by itself. Good luck starting your new fic. :)

ilocar

Thanks I'll get right on it, I just wanted to make sure, I don't want to break the rules the first time I post something.

I was also wondering how gorey warrants R rather than PG-13/14/15

duncan

It depends, really. As a rule of thumb, I would say if you could describe a scene in one word as 'gory' then it's most likely going to be R (which of course means it needs to be approved by a moderator). Minor depictions of violence and gore that isn't that detailed would likely fall into the PG-13 rating, but any well-described gore would almost certainly be R.

One thing you may want to try, if you are unsure, is to attempt to avoid describing the gore directly. Let's say you are describing a war scene. Unless it is vital to the plot, try and have your character focus on other things besides the carnage. You really can be creative about it, whether your character is trying not to think about it or simply isn't paying attention in his concentration to the task at hand. Minor, PG-13 descriptions of it here will often work well, as not only will you avoid having to rate it R but it can also leave a good amount of what is happening to the readers imagination. Certainly this will not work all the time, but you would be surprised how you can pull it of sometimes.

Cipher

Nothing to be done
I have a question. I absolutely never come to the Fanfic section (and haven't even dropped by Serebii Forums in a few months). But is there a spot on the website to get feedback on non-"fanfiction" stories?

Like, if I wrote a twenty page short story, not related to any existing media, and am looking for feedback, is there a section on here where I could post it?

If not, there totally should be.

Llama_Guy

Awesomely awesome
Out of curiosity, are summary chapters allowed? Say, you have written twenty-five, fifty or some other neat number of chapters and you feel that a summary might be good, for example to attract new readers who might be frightened by long fics. Could one do that then?

Damnit Ducan beating me to it. Anyway.

A little summary editted into the first post, even in a spoiler tag if need be, would be fine as THATS what they'll be seeing first. However still be a prefernce for the actual work in the first post unless the character limit screws it up too much.

Sandra

the blade of light

im really sorry
hello im new to the fan fic forum and forgive me if i ask kind of dumb questions but i want to include a friend of mines character in my fic if i get permission can i? do i need to do something else? or is it just a no way?

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner
hello im new to the fan fic forum and forgive me if i ask kind of dumb questions but i want to include a friend of mines character in my fic if i get permission can i? do i need to do something else? or is it just a no way?

If your friend gives you permission, then there's no reason why you can't. So yeah, feel free, but give credit in your fic to him for creating the character.

eevee909

Your ladyship
can i post a colaberation story? it just that im the only one with an account on this site.

As long as it's very clear it's a collab and if possible a name for the other person even if they're not on here cus saying "eevee909 and he/she/it" is a bit insulting :c A username they might use elsewhere is fine long as you say they're not on here in case there happens to be someone with it on these forums.

Sandra

Netbug009

Wait, so, on the subject of drabbles, we start a thread with one and update it with new ones? Or just wait till we have several, post them at once and be done with the thread?

Venia Silente

[](int x){return x;}
I know it's more than one month (I think that was the bump limit...) but since I have a particular question regarding the interaction between two rules I *hope* I can avoid a bashing... it's about Rules 5 ("Proper Quantity") and 6 ("One Chapter per Post").

The thing is I am finishing a work and want to submit it here. It's a story about how a Fossil Pokémon perceives humans. I wouldn't have trouble to post it here if it weren't because I'm not sure what to do with its current structure.

The fic itself is composed of several sections of sorts (20 so far), of varying lengths. Most of them fulfill the "at least two pages" requirement, at 2½~3 pages length, but some other sections the introduction among them, fall... quite short of that rule. They are somewhere in the 600~800 words range (1⅓ page with my current OOo settings).

What do I do with these particularly short sections? Can I eg.: post them together with another section in a single post, to make post length more consistent? Or should I take the risk to post them alone?

Thanks in advance.

An introduction would be like a prologue so thats fine. Shorter ones as long as it's done delibrately, may as well post them together with another one, a sorda two for the price of one dealie. Problem solved :) It is appreciated you actually took the time to ask rather than steamed right ahead.

Sandra

MikeHill005

Resistance Member
Instead of a first chapter, can you post a "demo chapter" first?

by that I mean a random chapter in your series to see if people like it.

You either post a first chapter or you don't. This isn't a place to test the waters. Sides more imporant you write for your own enjoyment with other people's being a bonus over being forefront.

Sandra

- Is it allowed if I have a foreword for my fic in my first post, then immediately the second post the first chapter (double-posting).

- My first chapter counts seven pages on word (I'd rather call it six and a half). Should I divide it in two chapters or post it as a long chapter?

Yami Ryu

- Is it allowed if I have a foreword for my fic in my first post, then immediately the second post the first chapter (double-posting).

Rules say. First post must have prologue or chapter. Or is your forward a prologue, as I really didn't give it a second glance when I reviewed your story.

- My first chapter counts seven pages on word (I'd rather call it six and a half). Should I divide it in two chapters or post it as a long chapter?

If I remember right, now that I remember, posting limits have atleast a 10k word count, and you think seven pages is to long and needs to be split into two posts?

No unless it does NOT fit when you try and post it, aka get an error of THIS POST IS xx OVER THE WORD LIMIT, you post it as ONE PART. ONE CHAPTER ONE POST, unless it is TO big for one post :/

Status
Not open for further replies.