• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Fan Fiction Rules - Read Me~

Fossildude747

Fossil Fighters Fan!
Ok thanks! I will check out the art shops!

I'm doing a one-shot, but it's about a character's life in the real world and how he's grown up with Pokemon. What section would that go in?

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
I'm doing a one-shot, but it's about a character's life in the real world and how he's grown up with Pokemon. What section would that go in?

Tough question, but if it's centered on the "growing up with Pokémon" aspect to the point where that's extremely integral to the story, then it's still welcome in the main forum. If the Pokémon aspect is pretty much incidental to the story of this kid growing up (as in, you could take out all the Pokémon bits and come up with a story that still makes sense), then it'd be better off in Non-Pokémon.

Buuuuut it seems like you posted something that fits this description already, so it seems like you figured it out, which is cool. But casual note for future reference, if you're ever particularly uncertain about whether or not you're posting in the right place, don't be afraid to ask a mod/consult the rules before posting your story. That way, you're sure to avoid any issues, rather than risk dealing with possible consequences. b)'')b

Last edited:
Buuuuut it seems like you posted something that fits this description already, so it seems like you figured it out, which is cool. But casual note for future reference, if you're ever particularly uncertain about whether or not you're posting in the right place, don't be afraid to ask a mod/consult the rules before posting your story. That way, you're sure to avoid any issues, rather than risk dealing with possible consequences. b)'')b

Yeah, sorry about that. I posted it and then thought about the potential problems with not being in the Pokemon universe itself.

By the way, since I do post my fanfictions in various places, do I need to prove that they're mine and that I didn't take them from someone else? (Granted, everywhere else I post them, I have the username PaperLuigi3, but I can prove it anyways)

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Yeah, sorry about that. I posted it and then thought about the potential problems with not being in the Pokemon universe itself.

By the way, since I do post my fanfictions in various places, do I need to prove that they're mine and that I didn't take them from someone else? (Granted, everywhere else I post them, I have the username PaperLuigi3, but I can prove it anyways)
No, you do not. That's common practice and we don't require people to prove it's the same person by default. If someone feels otherwise they can always report it to a mod and we'll follow up on it however.

J.J. Knight

So, I have two question. I post my chapters on deviant art, and I was thinking about bringing them here for additional exposure.

My first question is it acceptable to post a series thread with a link to the main DA page with a summery of the overall series, updated information such as Pokemon used by the main protagonists, the schedule of chapter release and etc, or should I simply copy and paste it here? I'd like to keep the focus a bit on my DA page, but if it's a problem, I can post it here as well. I wouldn't cry over it, just curiosious how it would be best handled for the series overall.

My second question is if I did have to copy and paste them here, would I have to post them as seperate threads, or would they be in the same thread? I haven't looked around yet, I just checked out the rules as a first stop and I didn't see anything in the rules about it.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
So, I have two question. I post my chapters on deviant art, and I was thinking about bringing them here for additional exposure.

My first question is it acceptable to post a series thread with a link to the main DA page with a summery of the overall series, updated information such as Pokemon used by the main protagonists, the schedule of chapter release and etc, or should I simply copy and paste it here? I'd like to keep the focus a bit on my DA page, but if it's a problem, I can post it here as well. I wouldn't cry over it, just curiosious how it would be best handled for the series overall.
Copy and paste it here. We don't allow linking to chapters that are hosted elsewhere, and that's the case with other forums (like how you wouldn't link to a fic here on dA, you'd post it in full).
My second question is if I did have to copy and paste them here, would I have to post them as seperate threads, or would they be in the same thread? I haven't looked around yet, I just checked out the rules as a first stop and I didn't see anything in the rules about it.
If they are chapters or parts of the same story, then they go in the same thread, with chapters in separate posts. Separate stories get separate threads, and sequels count as separate to the original tale.

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
All right, I didn't see anything on the main page about this and I didn't see anyone else ask the same question (so please excuse me if this has already been answered), but how is it with posting something from a different author? My situation is that one of my characters recites The Seal Lullaby by Rudyard Kipling, but since that isn't mine I don't know if I'd be allowed to include it. Is it okay if I point out that part is not mine at the beginning of the chapter, or have the character acknowledge it, or just leave it out completely?

Thanks!

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
All right, I didn't see anything on the main page about this and I didn't see anyone else ask the same question (so please excuse me if this has already been answered), but how is it with posting something from a different author? My situation is that one of my characters recites The Seal Lullaby by Rudyard Kipling, but since that isn't mine I don't know if I'd be allowed to include it. Is it okay if I point out that part is not mine at the beginning of the chapter, or have the character acknowledge it, or just leave it out completely?

Thanks!

Nothing wrong with having a character quote another author's work or whatnot. It's if you take significant amounts of material (think, entire chapters, or enough material that your piece is basically actually that other author's words with the names changed) from another author without asking that poses a problem, but just a poem or a bit that plays an important role in your story (without plagiarizing)? No problem. b)'')b

Tl;dr, if it's a reference and not straight-up plagiarism, it's fine.

Creepychu

The horror

Thanks!

What the rules forbid (twice over in effect) is plagiarism, that is taking another person's work in part or whole and claiming it as your own either explicitly or tacitly (by failing to attribute the passage to the actual author). What you're talking about here is literary reference/citation (Reciting parts of a different work within your story for the sake of the associations/themes of that work) as long as you add a note to your story stating what part(s) of it are Kipling's and preferably name the poem as you did here. That's perfectly acceptable in literature without specifically asking for permission since Kipling's work is well-known enough to be considered part of common literary heritage and discourse (same vein as citing Shakespeare, the Bible etc.). Since you explicitly brought the question up, it's pretty obvious that you're not trying to claim credit for Kipling's poem so you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Side note of clarification/reassurance! The credit bit is actually kinda relaxed. For song fics, yes, it's definitely a thing you should do because songwriters can be a little iffy (and the song in question is usually a huge part of the work in those cases). For references, it'd be cool for those interested/to cover your bases, but it's not exactly necessary, especially if it's just a minor bit. Like, if you've got the poem formatted as a poem, it's generally understood that it's not your work, and sometimes, authors credit, but sometimes, they don't. It's kinda weird like that.

(For examples of this in action, feel free to browse Cutlerine's work. Cutlerine tends to make a lot of references to various literary bits of awesome, but these tend to be subtle and not really credited all that often in the A/Ns.)

So ... yep. That post there is 100% legit, but if you forget to credit, don't worry too much about it. b)'')b

Last edited:

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
Thank you both very much! I felt like it would be safe to do so, but I just wanted to ask and check anyway :)

Side note of clarification/reassurance! The credit bit is actually kinda relaxed. For song fics, yes, it's definitely a thing you should do because songwriters can be a little iffy (and the song in question is usually a huge part of the work in those cases). For references, it'd be cool for those interested/to cover your bases, but it's not exactly necessary, especially if it's just a minor bit. Like, if you've got the poem formatted as a poem, it's generally understood that it's not your work, and sometimes, authors credit, but sometimes, they don't. It's kinda weird like that.

(For examples of this in action, feel free to browse Cutlerine's work. Cutlerine tends to make a lot of references to various literary bits of awesome, but these tend to be subtle and not really credited all that often in the A/Ns.)

I was thinking of doing something like that and seeing how many people would be able to tell that I included something by Kipling, but since I posted about it here I guess it's a little late for that XD

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
I haven't been here in years. I don't remember the last time I came but o well ^^*

Er, well, this is awkward to tell you, but your last story was posted less than a year ago. ._. Just for your reference, really, should you be interested in picking your old stuff back up or if you'd like to head down memory lane. b)'')b

That said, I'm glad that the rules are easy to understand, and I hope that this means you're considering posting in the forum again. :D Please let us know if there are still rules that aren't entirely clear, and we'd be happy to help.

Last edited:

Jersey Jimmy

¿dónde está el FOUR DOLLA TUBA?
Quick question: I wanna copy over a story I posted on Bulbagarden, but a lot of the early chapters are short. Would it be okay if I posted a few of them in the same post to start off, then did one chapter a post?

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Quick question: I wanna copy over a story I posted on Bulbagarden, but a lot of the early chapters are short. Would it be okay if I posted a few of them in the same post to start off, then did one chapter a post?
It's okay if the chapters are short (as long as they're above the minimum length of two pages each in general), and we would rather chapters are in separate posts to each other (as the rules state):
Please keep in mind that no post should contain multiple chapters. One post = one chapter, simple as that. The exception to this is that a prologue can be in the same post as the first chapter if you so choose. Separating them is also fine.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant

Hmm. It's best to do one chapter a post for the sake of organization (It's easier for folks to keep their place as they read and whatnot, not to mention it makes creating an index—should you want one—a crapload easier.), but! We are lenient on short chapters if the fic in question is well-written. If it's clear that you've put a lot of thought into your work and don't, like, write a block o' text, it's probs all right. b)'')b

P.S. Welcome to the dark side our fic forum~! 8D