• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Fat Acceptance Movement?

BJPalmer85

From what I remember, I'm pretty sure it's the first option you described. Some believe in "health at every size" (obviously complete b.s.) and that diets almost if not always fail, which is why it's not the person's fault that they can not lose weight if they try. Some leading figures of the movement also believe that the overweight don't need to substantially alter their lifestyle to become healthier, along with it being okay to accept who they are.

I was afraid of that.

Health at every size is to open ended and not complete BS. My meaning: I am currently 245lbs, I could drop down to 220lbs and be healthy but I could also jump up to 275-280lbs and be healthy as well, it all depends on my body composition. I do understand that that is not what they are talking about, but I also wanted to point out that "health at any size" is relative.

The whole thing with "all diets fail" kills me. By calling it a diet you are setting yourself up for failure to begin with. All these "fad diets" are absolutely insane, and while you will lose weight, you do it in the wrong way and when you stop following these "diets" you will nearly always gain the weight back and then some.

Your last statement
Some leading figures of the movement also believe that the overweight don't need to substantially alter their lifestyle to become healthier
is actually somewhat true. You do not have to make drastic changes in your lifestyle to become healthier. Cutting out sodas or going for walks every other night have a noticeable impact on your health. Eventually these benefits will start to plateau and to see more improvements, more changes will need to be made.

In a sense though these idea of this FAM are killing people. They are trying to further the obesity epidemic, well maybe not further it, but they are making no attempts to halt or reverse it.

B

c1234

Trainer Since '98
I think that obesity isn't something that should be accepted in society. You are given only one body in your lifetime, if you want to waste it and not realize its full potential that is up to you, but don't tell me I have to respect or accept you because you don't have enough self respect to take care of yourself.

Some people would argue that they don't have enough money to eat healthy, or for a gym membership, but these same people spend their money on video games, junk food, and dining out. If you shop at a grocery store, or buy your food in bulk it really isn't that difficult. As for the gym membership, it costs no money to go jogging or do crunches, push ups, or other body weight exercises.

Losing weight is incredibly simple: burn more calories than you take in.

Profesco

gone gently
Losing weight is incredibly simple: burn more calories than you take in.

Something that the 40% of American adults who are obese have not yet cotton candied on to, I take it (let alone all the fat folks in the rest of the world, and every professional medical and scientific organization out there that hasn't yet figured out how to fix fatness). If it's so incredibly simple, why, we wonder, haven't all the fat people just, well, lost their weight? They might be too stupid to recognize such a simple answer, or maybe they're too lazy to bother burning any extra calories, or quite possibly fat people all just have some kind of generally awful personality trait that makes them not care how gross and unhealthy they are.

But in case there's any room in our skinny jeans left over for a more complex and realistic conversation, here's a fine article to start with.

If the fat acceptance movement means not treating obese people like disgusting sloths and gluttons for facts which might very well be not entirely in every individual's complete control, then I'm behind it. If it means ending positive social, medical, and scientific attempts to reduce the incidence and near-inevitability of obesity, then I'm against it. We want everyone to be healthy and safe, but we also want to still respect those who can't be.

Last edited:

Zazie

So 1991
It's worth mentioning that somewhat overweight people actually tend to live longer. I am also not clear whether people are unhealthy because they have a high body weight or because of poor diet and excercise, which can lead to the former.

This of course discounts extremely high body weight, which is obviously very hazardous to your health. The basic ideas of not trying to shame or police other people for their bodies is good. The only issues I can see are the cases of people with extreme body weight or the idea that a good diet and exercise can still be helpful to your health.

BJPalmer85

If the fat acceptance movement means not treating obese people like disgusting sloths and gluttons for facts which might very well be not entirely in every individual's complete control, then I'm behind it. If it means ending positive social, medical, and scientific attempts to reduce the incidence and near-inevitability of obesity, then I'm against it. We want everyone to be healthy and safe, but we also want to still respect those who can't be.

I like this. Sums up how I feel

It's worth mentioning that somewhat overweight people actually tend to live longer. I am also not clear whether people are unhealthy because they have a high body weight or because of poor diet and excercise, which can lead to the former.

This of course discounts extremely high body weight, which is obviously very hazardous to your health. The basic ideas of not trying to shame or police other people for their bodies is good. The only issues I can see are the cases of people with extreme body weight or the idea that a good diet and exercise can still be helpful to your health.

I have to disagree slightly. Weight is not the issue and it is something that people focus on much to often. Your body's composition and more importantly its fat percentage is what is important. I am 6'3" 245lbs with 23% bod fat (down from 31 and still falling :) ), I am overweight and have to much fat in my body and according to my BMI I am obese (BMI is less that worthless though so whatever). My goal is to get down to 220lbs with 15% body fat, this would put me at an ideal body composition and give me an extremely lean physique. However, if I wanted to alter my goal and get up to say 275lbs while still achieving 15% BF than I would still be healthy. My BMI would of course tell me that I am obese but we all know that BMI doesnt mean ****. Conversely, if i were to drop to 220 but still had a 31% BF i would not be healthy. People would assume that I am because they would note the change in my physical appearance (with clothes on) but they would have no clue as to how much of that is lean muscle.

That is why I stress that it is more important to focus on BF percentage and lean muscle mass than it is on your total weight. 2 reason to focus on your weight 1.) so that you can calculate how many pounds of fat and lean mass you have in your body, 2.) if you are a fighter trying to make a certain weight class.

B

Last edited:

Maedar

Banned

Who in the world told you THAT?

I defy you to find ONE competent doctor who will tell you that being overweight is healthy.

Or one lucid person who will tell you that a fat person is attractive. (Trust me, on this one, I should know.)

c1234

Trainer Since '98
Something that the 40% of American adults who are obese have not yet cotton candied on to, I take it (let alone all the fat folks in the rest of the world, and every professional medical and scientific organization out there that hasn't yet figured out how to fix fatness). If it's so incredibly simple, why, we wonder, haven't all the fat people just, well, lost their weight? They might be too stupid to recognize such a simple answer, or maybe they're too lazy to bother burning any extra calories, or quite possibly fat people all just have some kind of generally awful personality trait that makes them not care how gross and unhealthy they are.

But in case there's any room in our skinny jeans left over for a more complex and realistic conversation, here's a fine article to start with.

I don't think that fat people should be treated like less than people, I just don't think it's right that people can be sued for not accommodating to them (airlines, restaurants etc). If you want to be fat, that is your right, but don't disturb other people's lives.
Obamacare is an attempt at government funded health care, why should I, the taxpayer have to front the costs of the increased healthcare cost incurred by obese people?

Zazie

So 1991
I have to disagree slightly. Weight is not the issue and it is something that people focus on much to often.

I am talking about extremes only. Like putting putting stress on your entire body. I believe you can have issues from too much muscle mass too. (steriod abuse can cause stress on ligaments) You are right in that physical weight in pounds is generally not the most important thing to focus on, as a lot of factors play into weight.

I defy you to find ONE competent doctor who will tell you that being overweight is healthy.

I read it in a college sociology textbook. And it doesn't mean that being overweight is healthiest and that you should totally try to get as big as possible. It means that a small amount of extra body fat can be beneficial in some circumstances. I suspect the reasoning is that having some excess fat can help you weather illness and other health issues a little better.

Or one lucid person who will tell you that a fat person is attractive. (Trust me, on this one, I should know.)

I know a few people of higher body weight that manage to get dates fine. I don't know wy you bring it up anyway as I never mentioned the subject.

I often hear the argument that shaming fat people encourages them to lose weight. Let me know how that's been working out for your smoking habit.

BJPalmer85

I often hear the argument that shaming fat people encourages them to lose weight. Let me know how that's been working out for your smoking habit.

Shaming never works in any circumstance. I dipped for years and was shamed constantly, still haven't quit. Though now that I have read and seen what it can do I am fully prepared to stop.

B

JDavidC

'Overweight' may be misleading. As other people have said, BMI (at least by itself), doesn't cut it. Having massive muscles will obviously increase your weight, but that is nowhere near the same thing as high body fat. BMI together with body fat percentage might be a reliable way of figuring out whether someone is overweight, considering fat as opposed to muscle. There are even scales that do these calculations for you automatically if you weigh yourself on them with bare feet (there's a set of scales in my house that not only measures weight, but stuff like BMI and body fat percentage).

As for shaming people, that's basically harsh judgmentalism (which often is inaccurate and just goes wrong), and pretty much forcing your own moral standards on others (self-righteousness, which is a VERY bad idea). Yeah, it's not going to work.

BJPalmer85

'Overweight' may be misleading. As other people have said, BMI (at least by itself), doesn't cut it. Having massive muscles will obviously increase your weight, but that is nowhere near the same thing as high body fat. BMI together with body fat percentage might be a reliable way of figuring out whether someone is overweight, considering fat as opposed to muscle. There are even scales that do these calculations for you automatically if you weigh yourself on them with bare feet (there's a set of scales in my house that not only measures weight, but stuff like BMI and body fat percentage).

As for shaming people, that's basically harsh judgmentalism (which often is inaccurate and just goes wrong), and pretty much forcing your own moral standards on others (self-righteousness, which is a VERY bad idea). Yeah, it's not going to work.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, BMI is pointless and should be thrown out. It does not take into consideration someone's build which is important when talking about over all health.

B

JDavidC

I've said it before and I'll say it again, BMI is pointless and should be thrown out. It does not take into consideration someone's build which is important when talking about over all health.
Ah, but I didn't say BMI by itself this time. BMI and body fat % would actually take the person's build into consideration, although even that may not be entirely accurate.

BJPalmer85

Ah, but I didn't say BMI by itself this time. BMI and body fat % would actually take the person's build into consideration, although even that may not be entirely accurate.

that is true, you did not, but even in that context I still feel that it is worthless. Fat % on its own is enough because no matter your height, weight or build if you fat percentage is to high, you are unhealthy.

B

c1234

Trainer Since '98
that is true, you did not, but even in that context I still feel that it is worthless. Fat % on its own is enough because no matter your height, weight or build if you fat percentage is to high, you are unhealthy.

B

I think the argument was being made against the reliability of those online calculators (where you put in your height and weight). Those things are horribly inaccurate because they don't take into consideration muscles (which weighs more than fat).

Yami Ron

Elite Member
Sometimes though, genetics can play a role in a person not being able to lose troublesome fat no matter how much you work out. I was 285 lbs and got down to as low as 164 with lots of exercise and eating right over a period of three-four years (even skipped lunch and stopped drinking sodas many a time). I'm back up in the 180's now because of muscle growth. I still have some problems with losing fat in some places that I just have to work even harder to get rid of with more cardiovascular activity.

Personally, it is all about treating people the way you would want to be treated (which can be applied to other political topics).

B
Ah yes, the BMI. It is so broken now that it shouldn't be held in consideration at all, yet it is still frequently referenced. BMI is so messed up that it will occasionally call bodybuilders obese, because a huge amount of muscle wasn't even a factor during its creation.

I've seen this debate on TV before with a FA member vs a nutritionist a year ago and I've always wanted to share my thoughts. Personally, I am all for it. No, me being overweight has nothing to do with it. I just feel that if people feel comfortable in their own skin, you should let them be.

Believe it or not, me being comfortable with how I look... not only improved my mental health greatly but it also has helped me lose weight along the way. Why? Because I stopped caring what people thought and focused on myself. Let's face it... we have the media telling us how we should look and you have others telling us we should be happy with ourselves. Problem is, most of the time, they only tell that to thin people. Wait... you are telling me to be comfortable with myself so long as I am a size 0?! Hell naw! Most of the time, these people that debate against it on TV... are ****ing thin. Nothing wrong with it but unless you have personally lost weight for a long time and know the feeling, most of these people have no room to criticize. Sorry.

Am I for people not giving a crap about their heath... no. Personally, I want people to be at their best, but I also am for people being happy with who they are. Whether you are 30kg or 200kg... if you are happy with you... let it be.

Last edited:
Believe it or not, me being comfortable with how I look... not only improved my mental health greatly but it also has helped me lose weight along the way. Why? Because I stopped caring what people thought and focused on myself. Let's face it... we have the media telling us how we should look and you have others telling us we should be happy with ourselves. Problem is, most of the time, they only tell that to thin people. Wait... you are telling me to be comfortable with myself so long as I am a size 0?! Hell naw! Most of the time, these people that debate against it on TV... are ****ing thin. Nothing wrong with it but unless you have personally lost weight for a long time and know the feeling, most of these people have no room to criticize. Sorry.

Am I for people not giving a crap about their heath... no. Personally, I want people to be at their best, but I also am for people being happy with who they are. Whether you are 30kg or 200kg... if you are happy with you... let it be.
It's not so much about how people should treat them socially, but how they should be treated economically that I seeas the real issue. Busses full of overweight people lower gas mileage. Seats on a plane meant for one become a seat for one and some guy's fat. It's not fair for others to have to shoulder the economic burden obese people place on certain areas of interest.

Mr.FusRoDah

Fat people are cool, I have no hate to them. I prefer not to date someone who happens to be too fat, but I definitely don't date twigs either.