1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The Faults of Gen I

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation I & II Discussion' started by RileyXY1, May 27, 2018.

1. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

Inspired by similar threads for Gens 2, 3, 4, and 6, you can use this thread to discuss your gripes with the 1st generation.

2. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff

Glitches were quite a problem. Especially with how Lick didn’t even hurt Psychic Pokémon.

3. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

In Gen 1, Ghost-type moves did nothing to Psychic types. This was an error in the code and it was fixed in Gen II.

4. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

The lack of a post-game for sure. Game Freak was still new at this when they produced R/G/B/Y obviously, but I still dislike how pointless the Generation I games felt after the main storyline.

Denko Sekka likes this.
  5. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria 4th anniversary of ORAS, 16th anniversary of RS

There were a lot of flaws in RBY, especially game-breaking glitches and the unbalanced battle system. The player could get Lv 100 Pokémon before Brock because of Growl and opponents having Pokémon with a Special stat the same index number of Nidoking, resulting in the experience underflow glitch, which allows Pokémon to be instantly levelled up to Lv 100. And there was the more known variation that allowed players to catch Mew in the game. The battle system favoured towards Pokémon with a high Speed stat, making them land critical hits more often than slower Pokémon while the Special stat was all one stat and the higher it is, the more damage the Pokémon can deal with special attacks and the less damage it can take from special attacks.

6. KyogreThunder

KyogreThunder Call of Fate

-The glitches (although the Mew glitch was very useful)
    -Lack of post-game content
    -Battle mechanics are completely unbalanced
    -Sprites for Pokemon like Koffing, Cloyster, Moltres, and Golbat (they did fix them in Yellow, thankfully)
    -The lack of backstory for legendaries (barring Mewtwo, who is a man-made Pokemon anyway)
    -Useless TMs like Water Gun and Egg Bomb
    -No move deleter
    -A number of routes in Kanto are too short

Denko Sekka and RileyXY1 like this.
  7. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

I didn't mind the glitches in these games as much as other folks did since a few of them such as the cloning glitch and Mew glitch were useful. The Red and Green version sprites gave me the creeps, though: Just look at Mew's and Kairyu's.

8. The Admiral

The Admiral solid state survivor

So I'm not going to count the flaws that come up because this is the series we've come to know and love in its embryonic state, but seriously... this game is held together by duct tape and prayers. The glitches tend to have effects that are even worse than the code might suggest due to some of the things the Game Boy lacks, like, you know, memory protection. To make up for that, a lot of games do things like crash if they reach certain impossible states. Guess what RGBY don't do. First-gen Pokemon keeps going on the back of one principle, which I like to call the "Pfft, Who Would Be THAT ****in' Stupid? Principle" -- because whoever receives the bug reports looks at how the bug happened and says, "pfft, who would be THAT ****in' stupid?" They expect these to never trigger because that involves what seems like a violation of common sense.

Aside from this, we get minor "QA was asleep at the wheel"-type issues like Psychic being erroneously immune to Ghost. Things that can't be blamed on janky programming include weird TMs (Water Gun? Egg Bomb? Softboiled?) and the preponderance of Poison-types, which is so bad that the only ghosts were Poison-type too -- so even if the type effectivenesses were correct there, you still wouldn't really be able to field them against psychics worth anything! Then again, there was only one Ghost attack that calculated damage normally, and it was crap.

Denko Sekka likes this.
  9. Missingno.Fan

Missingno.Fan Well-Known Member

Since it was the first game, I’m willing to let most of this slide:
    • Psychic being immune to Ghost. I know it was a mistake, but come on.
    • Almost nothing to do after the Elite Four.
    • No way of knowing how strong or what a move does.
    • Daycare not taking Pokémon with HM moves.
    • Some Pokémon only available through in game trades.
    • Horribly unbalanced type charts.
    • Over abundance of poison and underuse of Ghost and Dragon.

Denko Sekka and RileyXY1 like this.
  10. raichu27

raichu27 Well-Known Member

These ones come to mind:

Bug being strong against Poison.
    Psychic being immune to Ghost.
    Not having a move deleter.
    Lack of powerful Ghost, Bug, and Poison moves. Although, Pin Missile can do 70 damage with 5 hits.
    The Elite 4 being too easy.
    Tri Attack not having a chance to burn, freeze, or paralyze.
    Frozen lasting forever.
    to name a few...

We were also able to delete HM moves at Pokemon Stadium 2's Pokemon Center for the Gen 1 & 2 games, though.

Leonhart likes this.
  11. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

The complexity of obtaining every Pokemon still rankles me. To fill the Dex, you had to waste time at the Safari Zone and then trade for version exclusives and the two other Starters, which was more difficult in Generation 1 than in later eras since there was no Wi-Fi.

12. Wabblebabble123

Wabblebabble123 Ultimate Fortnite Noob

-In yellow, Sabrina has overleveled psychic types. Psychic pokemon are already OP.
    -You can't rebattle trainers or gym leaders.
    -There's not that many good bug moves and poison moves.
    -The map is too small.
    -There's only 3 dragon types and 3 ghost types.
    -All of those 3 ghost types are part poison, so Psychic can one shot it.
    -Too many glitches. (some are good though)
    -When you run out of money you can't get more when you beat all of the trainers except the Elite 4.
    -There's not that much to do around Kanto.
    -Grinding pokemon is too slow. Have fun trying to gain a couple of levels!
    -A lot of pokemon designs are boring looking. (Well it's gen 1 so I'll give them a break)

Denko Sekka likes this.
  13. Tsukuyomi56

Tsukuyomi56 Blizzard Maiden

- Psychic-types were OP since the Bug-type moves available at the time were very weak.

- Can't rematch trainers outside of the Elite Four and Champion.

- Your trainer cannot run in the over world.

- Non-existent post game which is pretty just Mewtwo....and completing the Pokedex.

- Sprites of some Pokemon were ugly.

- Too many Poison-types, it does not help that Psychic-types were king either.

- Routes for the most part were boring.

Leonhart likes this.
  14. Wabblebabble123

Wabblebabble123 Ultimate Fortnite Noob

I think everyone realized this when FR and LG were released

15. Kage-Pikachu

Kage-Pikachu Well-Known Member

The movement reminded me of Dragon Ball Z: the Legacy of Goku... lol, Red was slow as heck.

Flash as an HM! lol, I didn't know Repel was a thing until late in the game (my own fault) and I had the most annoying times in dungeons.

Mega Altaria likes this.
  16. Mega Altaria

Yeah. You could still beat the game without it and its use was limited to one area. Legit.

Kage-Pikachu likes this.
  17. Kage-Pikachu

Yeah, I wish it had a better effect, I think will o Wisp would have been better as an HM back in gen 1 since it was actually useful.

Mega Altaria likes this.
  18. Mega Altaria

I think that Will-O-Wisp sounds a bit ghastly for an HM but its effect is definitely better than Flash in my opinion.

Seriously. Water Gun as a TM. Why would a basic move like that is even a TM.

Kage-Pikachu likes this.
  19. Kage-Pikachu

Right, Will-O-Wisp would serve the same function as Flash, light up caves but would actual be a useful status move.

Water Gun, lol, they should have made a TM called Super Soaker!

Mega Altaria likes this.
  20. Mega Altaria

I can see Will-O-Wisp having the same purpose on field, but I just find that it sounds a bit spooky for more regular use.

Yeah. I also believe that Hydro Pump is just enough for a TM.

Kage-Pikachu likes this.