1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The Faults of Gen III

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation III Discussion' started by RileyXY1, May 26, 2018.

1. ((JAWS))

((JAWS)) Johto Boy

I really enjoy Hoenn. Maybe a better rival perhaps but besides that it’s fine.

FRLG on the other hand really lacked PG besides the Sevii Islands.

FRLG should have added
    - Gym leader rematches
    - Orange Islands was a missed opportunity. Come on GF. Really.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    MockingJ likes this.
  2. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

They probably could've used a level increase in the post-game, and since R/S/E had few training spots, perhaps that would've been a good way of leveling up our Pokemon more conveniently.

MockingJ likes this.
  3. MockingJ

MockingJ Well-Known Member

Gym Leader rematches should've definitely happened but the Orange Islands were an anime creation so of course GF didn't use them.

Daizy likes this.
  4. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

And, the Sevii Islands actually used the same real life inspiration as the Orange Islands.

5. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

Gym Leader rematches in the Kanto remakes would've been fine I suppose, although the Vs. Seeker seemed like a good alternative since we could get lots of training done with that alone.

6. Daizy

Daizy I call you honey

The ingame trades in R/S suck. Every Pokemon that was offered was common in the wild so trading for them felt pointless, unlike half of LG/FR's trades.

Leonhart likes this.
  7. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

That might be a good thing, however. I disliked how so many rare Pokemon were restricted to in-game trades in FR/LG, so R/S/E's trades seemed far more reasonable.

8. DarkPoke001

DarkPoke001 Dark Pokémon Master

For me, FR/LG could've (should've) had animated sprites at the beginning of a battle, as they had in Emerald. It's a small touch but was something I liked. Gym leader rematches should've also been been possible and maybe a battle facility akin to Emerald's Frontier would've been a nice addition .

9. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

Well FR/LG came out before Emerald, and I figure that Game Freak didn't decide to bring back animated sprites until Emerald was in development. At least the FR/LG sprites bounced a bit on the status screen.

10. Boss1991

Boss1991 A real hardcore Pokéfan!

Gen III is my favourite generation overall, and here are it's very few flaws imo:

-the Eastern Water half of Hoenn's routes are a mess and it's easy to not know where you are going.
    - no physical- special split
    - no visible day-night cycle

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  11. Sceptile Master

Sceptile Master Survivor of the Great Avatar Depression

While Gen 3 is my favorite 5 is close:

The Roar glitch with the legendary dogs in FR/LG is glaring and requires severe soft-resetting and luck, nearly if-not a Masterball for the effort it requires.

And this is more a personal thing, but this error:

Due to the general unpredictability of when flash memory is going to die, especially on a GBA cart and how often you save or not, this error is just terrible. I shut off my first game (Emerald) as the clock was spinning and the save was being checked because it was taking so long and scared me, and my file got deleted. Though, apparently, I may have not been able to really continue or trade my Pokemon away anyway, since it seems the output so often is that new saves cannot be made. I'll never know, but enough time has passed, I'm over it.
    I don't know if Gen 3 in particular was more prone to flash saving errors or what, because it happened to me 1-2 years after getting my cart (to be fair IDR how many times I'd saved my game), seems to have happened to others, and I've yet to hear about it happening to anyone outside of Gen 3, not Gen 1 or 2 (not counting the save battery or glitches corrupting things), not even DPP, which is now 12 years old.
    That all being said the error is still incredibly rare as a whole, but it sucks for those of us who've had to deal with it :p

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  12. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

While irksome, this limitation was more of an issue with the original GBA's somewhat dark screen. I don't think Game Freak could've added visible day and night changes since we didn't get a built-in back light until the SP.

13. The Teller

The Teller King of Half-Truths

Oh, so this is Gen 3 all around, huh? Well then...

Colosseum and XD never got another game. Colosseum limited you to 48 (?) Pokemon, and some just weren't any good (though this is because most were Johto Pokemon, and this was before most of them got evolutions to make them any good). XD was perfect, you monster. I mean...XD had that annoying kid sister and Chopin.

FRLG didn't really do much to add to the original, and when you have to remind yourself that Dark and Steel types exist in the games, there's a problem.

RS...no day/night system, no ability to rematch trainers, no ability to trade to old games (yes, there was hardware issues, but it's a fault nonetheless), only one region after we've had years to experience a two region game, the later water routes were so big, you could get lost and not know where to go next without doing some serious wall-hugging, and do so would rob you of trainer battles, islands with items on them, and still might render you lost, and since RS weren't sequels like GS, RS started some divisive trends like the Regional Bird/Rodent/Bug, friendly rivals, and some types like ice and steel being locked away until towards the end of the game.

14. Ducolamia

Ducolamia SAYYYY WHAT???

I love gen 3 and have played them almost hundreds of times, but man they do have flaws. Not super big flaws that destroy the game, but still pretty bad:

Let's begin with R/S because I think it's unfair to lump it with Emerald considering Emerald fixed stuff that R/S needed to have fixed.

R/S:

-The lack of other region pokemon. R/S/E have a great diversity of types in my opinion. You aren't constantly running into old pokemon like in later gens and you aren't looking for new pokemon for over an hour. However, R/S have the worst case of not being able to get other pokemon from the older games because you can't transfer them. Add onto the fact that it's impossible to get some pokemon with SIDE GAMES that this is probably the hardest game to complete the pokedex in. It is not worth it and I can see people not being able to transfer their pokemon seeing it as a huge turn-off. I won't call them out for having to deal with hardware limitations. That will always be a thing, but I will chastise them for making alternative ways of getting these pokemon so notoriously difficult.

- No day and night cycle. This makes some sense actually as the GB has a notoriously awful backlighting system. I hated using it when it was sunny because I couldn't see anything due to how dark the screen was. However, if the predecessor was able to have a dark and night system this game should've had one too.

-In-game trades are awful. Every single one of them is not worth the effort. Don't bother.

-The sprite art is good, but not having movable sprites is weird to me considering on an inferior system, they were able to do it with 8-bit limitations

-No rematch-able trainers.

E: Not too many surprisingly

-The water in the routes are a bit tedious. The main problem is that it's really easy to get lost. They fixed this in ORAS by having it so you can skip the water once you do it once, but it can be a bit difficult to navigate through. Especially when you're diving.

-Contests are really bad early on here. Pokeblocks can be a pain to use considering you aren't really told how each effect works and the ratings for the contest I felt could be really unfair.

-The Elite 4 is pretty meh. They have repeats of pokemon for some odd reason. Why make an Ice type gym leader....but then give her only like a couple of pokemon to use?

-You're rival sucks. Underleveled Pokemon, a terrible team, barely even puts up a fight. The hardest battle you'll have with him is before you reach Mauville City. That's your challenge for the rest of the game. And it's only because he has an over leveled starter.

FR/LG: To be honest, as remakes...these games aren't that bad. They started the trend, but of course they have flaws.

-The VS Seeker is bad in this game. You can only challenge people after walking a certain amount of steps and you don't even know who will battle you until you try it or look it up.

-Post game is really bland. You get breeding and better pokemon but then you have to deal with so. many, battles. All the rest of the 4 islands are in the Sevii Islands are constant battles and the team rocket arc, which doesn't even add onto the story.

-The lack of pokemon diversity. The region layout for the pokedex is pretty bad. Certain pokemon while improved still suffer from no physical and special split. The best ghost type move you have against psychics is nightshade and the best dark move is crunch, but you'll be stuck with bite for awhile.

Overall, very fun games, but they definitely have their flaws.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    MockingJ likes this.
  15. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

Night Shade is actually a Ghost-type move.

Ducolamia likes this.
  16. Ducolamia

Ducolamia SAYYYY WHAT???

Thank you and fixed.

17. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria 4th anniversary of ORAS, 16th anniversary of RS

One problem I found with FRLG was that the later gen evolutions of Gen 1 Pokémon like Crobat and Blissey aren't available until the National Dex is obtained. Even so, Espeon and Umbreon are unobtainable in these games due to the removal of the time mechanic.

18. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

My issue with the newly added types was the fact that there are hardly any Dark-types available in FR/LG other than Yamikarasu (Murkrow) in the post-game I believe, which is a version exclusive.

MockingJ likes this.
  19. MockingJ

MockingJ Well-Known Member

The water routes are annoying but I think the main point is to explore the seas like real adventurers would. It's why I secretly liked the set up of random islands.

Boss1991 likes this.
  20. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff

Sneasel was a version exclusive to LG. It could be found in the Four Island Ice Cave in place of Delibird.