1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The Faults of Gen III

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation III Discussion' started by RileyXY1, May 26, 2018.

1. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria 4th anniversary of ORAS, 16th anniversary of RS

It would have been quite a bit better if both of them weren’t version exclusive. There would be more access to Dark-types but anyway the Dark-type roster in FRLG felt disappointing.

2. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

Yes, although my main point still stands. The Kanto remakes just had a small number of Steel and Dark Pokemon, although I guess Game Freak just didn't want to add more Gen II Pokemon to keep these games as focused on Gen I as possible.

3. D*N

D*N Back from the death

I loved Hoen, the main thing that could have been better is the characters/story. Mainly the rivals. Brendan and May are probably one of the worst rivals the series has ever had.

Leonhart likes this.
  4. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

Yeah, and even Mitsuru (Wally) seemed weak in the sense that his final R/S/E team was incomplete and didn't get any stronger in the post-game.

FullmetalJackie likes this.
  5. shoz999

shoz999 No! That's impossible!

One interesting fault about Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire that had an substantial impact on the anime and manga was how much of a blank slate their villains were. I don't know if anyone realizes this but the ORAS depiction of Maxie and Archie almost practically makes them feel like new characters. There was never saving Pokemon or advancing humanity in the original Ruby and Sapphire. All they wanted to do was expand the earth or sea for unknown reasons and you can tell that GameFreak never really put any real thought into Team Magma and Team Aqua through how it impacted their adaptations in the anime and manga. If you've seen Maxie and Archie in the Adventures manga and anime, you know that they are so different from the remake version. This is because that Maxie and Archie in the games were pretty much just blank slates.

I suppose the difference between the Adventures take and the anime take is how it was handled. I don't know about you but it was pretty clear that the anime crew had absolutely no clue what to do with Maxie and Archie. They just had them in a two-parter in the middle of the 6th and 7th gym and that's it. In fact it felt like the anime crew just wanted to wrap it up as quickly as possible. The Adventures version is, this is my personal opinion, is leagues superior than the anime version. Because of this blank slate, the writer could be more creative with Maxie and Archie and with that, he actually gives a reasonable and logical explanation that makes TEN TIMES more sense that Maxie and Archie trying to advance humanity or save Pokemon. It's simply power, that's really it. It's a generic trope but its a generic trope that not only makes so much sense but is also executed so well that your actually kind of rooting for Team Magma and Team Aqua to win. I say that because unlike previous story arcs, Team Magma and Team Aqua actually feel like main characters here as well, you get to see them operate step-by-step making unexpected quick decisions to reach their goal. The generic trope about power is suddenly made ten times more interesting than the overcomplicated reason GameFreak came up with for the remakes. In fact, honestly. I kind of think the Pokemon Adventures writer captured GameFreak's vision for these villains, just simply the bad guys out for power, far better than GameFreak did with the remakes.

dannymusic and TheotherLati like this.
  6. dannymusic

dannymusic The Smiling Trombonist

I love Gen III and it's what I'm best at competitively, but despite the meme, I do feel that "too much water" is a legit criticism for Ruby/Sapphire. Once you get beyond Lilycove, there are a lot of bland water routes with the exact same pokemon available and trainers who all have other water pokemon. And if Team Aqua's the team you're up against, yeaaaah, too much water. >.<

FullmetalJackie likes this.
  7. Ducolamia

Ducolamia SAYYYY WHAT???

The problem with the meme wasn't that some of the criticism wasn't valid. It was that IGN worded it the worst way possible. They didn't say "tedious water design" or "tedious level design", they said too much water while playing Pokemon AS in a tropical themed region. If they said the former none of the meme stuff would've happened to begin with. People would complain but not nearly as much. (It also doesn't help they gave the original games a 9.5/10 but that's a debate for another day)

Honestly I'm fifty-fifty. On one hand I can see the complaints because the water Pokemon diversity is lacking. But at the same time if you have some repels and are willing to search for some heart scales and other stuff it really isn't that bad. Yeah, some water routes are blander than others but I don't think it's the worst. Doesn't make it great mind you, but that's just me.

Also, Team Aqua does not use that many water Pokemon surprisingly. They use standard grunt stuff and carvanhna. Wish they updated it more.