• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Faults of Gen III

I thought gen 5 was worse enough, now this!

Leonhart

Imagineer
Sham said:
Team Magma and Team Aqua weren’t really villains you could invest yourself in and it’s bad enough to this day they have the most ridiculous goals ever (only be slightly ahead of Cyrus), your rival was boring and apparently secretly jealous of you, the water routes were confusing as heck (at least for my as a child), little to none of the Gym leaders are memorable besides your dad and just a lot more things I didn’t like about Gen 3. To this day it’s the only Gen I will outright refuse to play again.

I was irked by the fact that we could only battle one of the villainous teams in Ruby and Sapphire while the other team was meant to be "good" even though they still had extremist goals. It felt weird to take sides knowing that neither team was really trustworthy given their rather insane way of thinking, whether it was wanting to expand the seas or land at the cost of many lives.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I was irked by the fact that we could only battle one of the villainous teams in Ruby and Sapphire while the other team was meant to be "good" even though they still had extremist goals. It felt weird to take sides knowing that neither team was really trustworthy given their rather insane way of thinking, whether it was wanting to expand the seas or land at the cost of many lives.
That’s why Emerald is the definitive Hoenn game. It shows both Teams as being wrong and you don’t take either side.

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
I didn't like that the berry glitch happened a year after beginning Ruby and Sapphire or that those games had the same internal battery issues that Gold, Silver and Crystal had minus the deleted save file part.

TwilightBlade

This is kind of a minor flaw and mostly me nitpicking, but I didn't like how Nintendo of America ignored the Old Sea Map event. They could've easily distributed that event and also held an event that would give the Eon Ticket to Emerald players directly in the United States.

Leonhart

Imagineer
TwilightBlade said:
This is kind of a minor flaw and mostly me nitpicking, but I didn't like how Nintendo of America ignored the Old Sea Map event. They could've easily distributed that event and also held an event that would give the Eon Ticket to Emerald players directly in the United States.

I was a bit letdown that the Old Sea Map wasn't released outside of Japan as well. And speaking of the event items, apparently the Aurora Ticket and Mystic Ticket had hidden data that would've allowed them to be shared via record mixing in R/S/E, but Game Freak didn't bother programming them that way for whatever reason despite it being possible, which is a shame.

TwilightBlade

I was a bit letdown that the Old Sea Map wasn't released outside of Japan as well. And speaking of the event items, apparently the Aurora Ticket and Mystic Ticket had hidden data that would've allowed them to be shared via record mixing in R/S/E, but Game Freak didn't bother programming them that way for whatever reason despite it being possible, which is a shame.

I think that they just gave up on events at that point because maybe they cost too much money to set up. Also wasn't Celebi only given away in America and Japan during the 3rd Gen?

Leonhart

Imagineer
TwilightBlade said:
Also wasn't Celebi only given away in America and Japan during the 3rd Gen?

Technically there was a Celebi distribution in Taiwan during Gen III, but the Celebi that was given out was actually a Japanese Celebi. So you're technically right that only the U.S. and Japan had Celebi events back then.

Sakuyamon

Rebattles in Ruby, Sapphire & Emerald were too hard to activate. I remember it taking forever to get Wally to battle you again at Victory Road and some of the other trainers were hard to rebattle too like the couple in the Abandoned Ship.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Sakuyamon said:
Rebattles in Ruby, Sapphire & Emerald were too hard to activate. I remember it taking forever to get Wally to battle you again at Victory Road and some of the other trainers were hard to rebattle too like the couple in the Abandoned Ship.

I wish that the Vs. Seeker had been added to Emerald version now that I think of it. It was introduced in LG/FR which were released almost a full year before Emerald version was released, so it could've been adapted in that game if Game Freak had thought to do it.