• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Faults of Gen IV

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
Are you including Heatran and Cressila to the number? Because I was fine with them not being included in the DP Dex given Heatran was only found in a post-game location and Cressila not being vital to the main story.

No I was excluding them in my head along with Regigigas because like you said they could only be unlocked in the post game.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I just thought of another flaw with Gen IV. The customization system of the Johto Safari Zone is rather flawed. I mean yeah it amazing that the programmers managed to include so many wild Pokémon but the objects and way of leveling them up made no sense. You had to wait for quite sometime before the owner calls you that new options are available and then you need to wait even longer jus5 to unlock every object you can put in the Zone and on to0 of that wait even longer for the objects to count as two instance of one just to catch certain Pokémon! Gibble and Bagon are nightmares to wait until you can get them.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
No I was excluding them in my head along with Regigigas because like you said they could only be unlocked in the post game.

Speaking of Regigigas, I thought it was a bad decision on Game Freak's part to make the Regi trio needed to activate the Regigigas battle. Getting the Regi trio in Diamond and Pearl required the use of the Pal Park, so you pretty much needed to have a R/S/E cartridge with the trio already caught just to unlock that one Legendary in D/P.

TwilightBlade

Speaking of Regigigas, I thought it was a bad decision on Game Freak's part to make the Regi trio needed to activate the Regigigas battle. Getting the Regi trio in Diamond and Pearl required the use of the Pal Park, so you pretty much needed to have a R/S/E cartridge with the trio already caught just to unlock that one Legendary in D/P.

I thought the requirement was hard but in Platinum you could find the Regi trio in the wild although you needed a special event Regigigas for that. Still at least they were easier to get and the same applies to the Kanto legendary birds in that game.

Leonhart

Imagineer
TwilightBlade said:
I thought the requirement was hard but in Platinum you could find the Regi trio in the wild although you needed a special event Regigigas for that. Still at least they were easier to get and the same applies to the Kanto legendary birds in that game.

I thought that getting the Regi trio in Platinum version was harder as a result since that event Regigigas that you mentioned was hard to obtain. It always made my chuckle a bit that the wild Regigigas found in Platinum was encountered at Lv. 1, though.

catzeye

Writer's Block
I'll speak only on D/P since those were the only games I played in Gen 4

Surfing speed was horrendous
Way too many HMs needed
The speed of the game is too slow
The Regional Dex had poor distribution
They added too many legendaries (I know Gen 3 started this trend, but Gen 4 and Gen 5 later did not help)
Saving was too slow

Nebbygetinthebag

-The game is way to slow especially in Diamond and Pearl it took forever to save

-The Sinnoh Dex in Diamond and Pearl was really lacking though they fix it in Platinum

-Way too many unnecessary HM was it necessary to have Defog

- They still haven't fix the terrible level gap in HGSS

- The legendaries is too much I couldn't care less about Phione or Regigigas who is a big disappointment

- Customization of the Johto Safari is pretty terrible

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
catzeye said:
Saving was too slow

I always wondered why that was. Saving always seemed to take longer whenever you moved Pokemon in the PC or after an important event had passed, and it infuriated me slightly that it took about 15 seconds to save my progress back then. I also remember that deleting an old save file took about a minute for whatever reason.

Sakuyamon

-The game is way to slow especially in Diamond and Pearl it took forever to save

-The Sinnoh Dex in Diamond and Pearl was really lacking though they fix it in Platinum

-Way too many unnecessary HM was it necessary to have Defog

- They still haven't fix the terrible level gap in HGSS

- The legendaries is too much I couldn't care less Phione or Regigigas who is a big disappointment

- Customization of the Johto Safari is pretty terrible

Yeah the Sinnoh games had way too many legendaries and most of them were saved for the post game. I hated Mesprit and Cresselia a little bit because they were roaming legendaries and I've always hated those.

curiousabra

Although I like Sinnoh as a game, and think it's one of the better Pokemon games-- other than battle/online related things, I don't think it really contributes too much to Pokemon as a franchise, like say, RBY, GSC, RSE, BW, and SM do. It simply doesn't have enough to set it apart from the other games.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Sakuyamon said:
Yeah the Sinnoh games had way too many legendaries and most of them were saved for the post game. I hated Mesprit and Cresselia a little bit because they were roaming legendaries and I've always hated those.

Roaming Legendaries are always a hassle, although one thing that I liked about Platinum, HeartGold, and SoulSilver is that Legendaries could re-spawn after you beat them. At least that way you didn't have to worry about accidentally knocking them out and never seeing them again like in the old games.

Monozu

この日、森の中・・・
Diamond & Pearl are the only main series Pokemon games I can't bring myself to finish. The plot and setting feels incomplete without Giratina's involvement, and like everyone says, the game... is... so... so... slow. (I loved Platinum, though).

Although I like Sinnoh as a game, and think it's one of the better Pokemon games-- other than battle/online related things, I don't think it really contributes too much to Pokemon as a franchise, like say, RBY, GSC, RSE, BW, and SM do. It simply doesn't have enough to set it apart from the other games.

While I don't think it's necessarily a flaw, Sinnoh does feel like it uses the same elements as the past three generations but more refined - the Battle Frontier, berry-growing, and contests were carried over from Gen III with a few tweaks; Poffins are a rehash of Pokeblocks in all but name and appearance. Sinnoh also solidified the physical-special split by extending it to moves, not just stats, and heavily involved legendaries in the plot a la RSE.