1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The Faults of Gen IV

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation IV Discussion' started by RileyXY1, May 22, 2018.

1. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

The molasses speed in surfing was pretty annoying

2. Ducolamia

Ducolamia SAYYYY WHAT???

Holy crap. Playing through Diamond again ( I know, I'm one of those people who play the vanilla games) made me realize how crappy surfing is and how much they screwed it up so much.

I think the main problem (or at least my theory) was that the game's movements are grid-based compared to gen 6 and above. In previous games surfing would take the amount of space as if moving one tile. In RSE it's pretty easy to see that as while the surfing was a bit slow, it was still smooth. In gen 4, surfing is a nightmare in D/P because the walking speed seems to be applied to the tiles for surfing instead of an increased speed. So instead of giving us a speedier surfing process they gave us the speed akin to just walking.

D/P are the only games with this problem though, so I suspect it was an issue they figured out with the engine later on. Doesn't change the fact that it makes me never want to touch water in D/P again.

3. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

There were may too many times HMs needed to be used despite only half of them actually being good moves. Defog was the absolute worst