1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The Faults of Gen IV

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation IV Discussion' started by RileyXY1, May 22, 2018.

1. Baggie_Saiyan

Baggie_Saiyan Well-Known Member

A terrible dex, the Evolution gimmick was stupid, too many Legends & Mythics and most of the actual new Mons were unfortunately forgettable.

Agree about HMs and Surfing and Zubats in cave like above.

The Park thing to catch migrated Mons was cool at first but then got kinda annoying but thankfully not as annoying as the BW2 method.

Ubermuk and RedBlastoise like this.
  2. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

May I ask, what was so bad about the transfer method in Gen V? Personally, I thought it was superior to the method in Gen IV because it took less time to play the mini-game in Gen V than it took to search for the transferred Pokemon in the wild in the Pal Park in Gen IV.

Ubermuk and RedBlastoise like this.
  3. Baggie_Saiyan

Baggie_Saiyan Well-Known Member

I for some reason really struggled with it lol.

Ubermuk and Leonhart like this.
  4. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

I found it annoying that you could only transfer Pokémon to Pal Park from a GBA game once a day AND after you caught all of the Pokémon you transferred beforehand.

Leonhart likes this.
  5. jaden767

jaden767 Red Trainer

You know how IGN hated ORAS because of there being too much water? Well my issue with Gen 4 is the lack of water and far too much land. I like surfing around so I was sad that Sinnoh was such a land heavy region.

Ubermuk, KyogreThunder and Leonhart like this.
  6. Mr.Fiend

Mr.Fiend She is too precious for this world.

Considering how slow surfing was in D/P, i consider it as more of a blessing.

I really didn't like how you couldn't get most regional evolutions until you have beaten D/P. Special mention to tangrowth, who was completely unavailable ,unless you transfer tangela over (who by the way was flat out not available in sinnoh at all). Thankfully, platinum fixed this problem.

Even with the improved dex in platinum, certian types like ice and fire still felt like they could've gotten one more line in the dex (spheal or seel for ice, numel or slugma for fire).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Leonhart and Ubermuk like this.
  7. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I disliked that limitation as well, and now I actually wonder if Game Freak purposely did that in D/P as a way of planning ahead for Platinum version so that they could make those regional evolutions one of the main selling points of that game.

RedBlastoise and Mr.Fiend like this.
  8. NeganTheSavior

NeganTheSavior Well-Known Member

D/P/Pt: Just like everyone else, I agree that things are wayyyyyy too slow. I also would've liked to see more options for fire types. Other than Chimchar and Ponyta, there's not many other options that come to mind. Platinum fixed most of the smaller problems I had with Diamond and Pearl.

HG/SS: I don't have many problems with these games other than some of the changes made to the soundtrack, the Kanto gym leader theme being the worst.

Also, the number of HMs in this Gen is completely ridiculous.

TwilightBlade and Leonhart like this.
  9. PokePlatinum14

PokePlatinum14 Pokemon Platinum Master

I feel like in Platinum, after you complete the storyline, there was no reason to come back to certain cities other than things like the day-care and poffin home. I honestly spend my time in the pokemon league.

Venomshock likes this.
  10. PokePlatinum14

Yeah, I still need Feebas in my pokedex. Been having a lot of trouble finding it in Platinum.

Leonhart likes this.
  11. PokePlatinum14

I still think Platinum could've used more fire types.

Venomshock likes this.
  12. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

During the main storyline there was the Hikozaru (Chimchar) line, the Buby (Magby) line, the Ponyta line, the Delvil (Houndour) line, and Booster (Flareon). Wasn't that enough?

PokePlatinum14 likes this.
  13. PokePlatinum14

Chimchar was optional, I can't find magby anywhere, I have Ponyta, and you only get one Eevee. With the Eevee, I got Jolteon so I can't get Flareon anymore. I just would've liked to see and area dedicated to fire types, that would've been good.

RedBlastoise and Venomshock like this.
  14. RedBlastoise

RedBlastoise Cerulean Blues

You can't find Magby in the wild in Platinum but you can find Magmar outside of Fuego Ironworks.

PokePlatinum14 and Leonhart like this.
  15. TwilightBlade

TwilightBlade Well-Known Member

Places like Veilstone were important after the postgame because of the department store and places like the massage house and Game Corner. Even Jubilife was sorta important because of the GTS building and the daily lottery.

Leonhart and PokePlatinum14 like this.
  16. PokePlatinum14

good to know, thanks :)

17. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I remember going to Tobari (Veilstone) City a lot to massage several Pokemon that evolved via high friendship, although it was tedious and irksome work. The only problem that I have with that city in general is that it looks awful in D/P. Its Platinum version redesign is a lot better.

PokePlatinum14 and RedBlastoise like this.