• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Faults of Gen VII

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Well, it's time to this thread to be made. What are your gripes with the seventh and current generation of the franchise?

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Gripe number one of mine: the fact that this generation has so much hate, both for the games and the anime! >_<

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
In my opinion, Gen 7 wasn't one of the worst generations but still had some flaws. I found Poni to be boring to explore before beating the game because it didn't have many locations and Melemele felt quite bland as well, especially when I expected more from Hau'oli City. I didn't feel the additional content in USUM offered much especially when there were a lot of insignificant side quests. I got put off by the Battle Agency in case I level up too much and there are heaps of Rank 0 players, which completely defeats the purpose of the Battle Agency. But at least Defog became a Tutor move.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Main faults of Gen 7 are the lack of post-game content in SM and making clothes version specific was not the right way to make the two versions different from each other. Not being able to upgrade the Festival Plaza shops yourself and USUM's Battle Agency been near unplayable once you reach high ranks thanks to more Rank 0 players you can shake a stick at (unless you go out of your way to register high ranking players) were also notable faults.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
SOS battles were something I did not like one bit as I was progressing through the story. Thankfully there was a tweak to them in USUM that made them more bearable.

Prepares to be had a go at by someone who will just say "you can just paralyze the Pokemon".

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
1) With its infamously sluggish introduction, persistent railroading, or Rotom Dex clogging up your bottom screen with forced advice...SM treats the entire player-base like we're all still in grade school.

2) Great innovations such as the Player Search System, DexNav or Super Training were all removed or replaced, and in some ways the game is less functional because of it.

3) Ultra Sun/Moon. After BW2 set a new standard for follow-up games, this sort of release just didn't measure up to me. Especially so soon after the originals.

4) Megas...Half of them went missing in SM, and the others were given back to us in time limited events. Now they're all available, but...64 BP a piece :/

nel3

Crimson Dragon
im not a fan of gen7 at all but i really do miss the fact they didnt include all the berries in SM or USUM. they really didnt make the effort to bring all those extra berries into gen7 even though the NPCs can use them in certain battles. i just want all the berries to be put into the game legally and i want that darn custap berry in the game so i can use my Aggron set. i can go on about many more gen7 flaws but i'll refrain from that. gen7 doesnt hold my attention half as much as gen6 did for me, ive lost most of my interest in gen7 within 3 months or so.

M.P.

Retired
I really liked Gen 7 (especially as it removed my biggest gripe of the Pokemon series: HMs), but it did have it's flaws: Constant hand-holding and long, unskippable cutscenes were the most annoying ones, imo: Tutorials especially should've been made optional generations ago. Festival Plaza was a poor replacement for much more handy PSS, and new fishing mechanics made fishing really tedious (good luck getting something else than Magikarp). I wasn't a fan of SOS battles, either.

Xuxuba

I think my main gripes were the lack of the national dex, the battle facilities being so frustating and unsatisfying, the grinding methods becoming even more repetitive and tiring and the story feeling kind of out of place and a bit of a clusterf**** too.

WalesNote

I always thought that Sun and Moon were not as 'adventurous' as other titles in the main series. It didn't always seem like an adventure on a large scale since the islands were somewhat small to me, and the professor was always there guiding you throughout each island, and you ended up seeing him very often. Was a bit annoying.

Not sure what else to say about the faults of the game. All I got.

Kage-Pikachu

For me, I guess it would be the length of Melemele Island, there is almost no story focus there other than the intro and I was hoping it would offer more.
The loss of triple battles was especially irritating since I found them very fun. Also, I dislike how Lusamine's role as a villain was retconned out of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon...

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
The fact that Revelation Dance, learned at lv 40, is the only attacking move of oricorio's non-flying type that it learns is disappointing.
Yeah and what's even more disappointing with Revelation Dance is that it can't be used with the Z-Crystal of the type Revelation Dance has become depending on Oricorio's form.

Kage-Pikachu

Why did you hate gen 6? Team Flare perhaps or the ease of the games?

I guess another fault would be that Sun and Moon is that none of the Kahuna's had Pokemon with auras. That made them less difficult than the Totems in my opinion.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I guess another fault would be that Sun and Moon is that none of the Kahuna's had Pokemon with auras. That made them less difficult than the Totems in my opinion.
Kahuna battles weren't too hard for those who chose Popplio as their starter because of type advantages on essentially every Kahuna. Maybe the auras can be used to give a heightened sense of difficulty, especially for those who chose Popplio.