1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The Faults of Gen VII

Discussion in 'Pokémon - Generation VII Discussion' started by RileyXY1, May 28, 2018.

1. Argentarus

Argentarus Decidueye know better~

Yeah, I've completed most of them. The side quests were a really nice touch to the atmosphere and look at the inner workings of Alola, but they were pretty come-and-go.
    The anime, on the other hand, has as much time and as many episodes as it needs to go over some stuff or character motivations that weren't able to be added to the game.
    The exact same thing happened with X and Y.

If we're being honest, these games would've fared better on the Switch, with an extra year of waiting. The game would've looked much better at a higher resolution and you would actually be able to see the smaller details that they put it in.
    And the Switch cartridge storage size and system specs would've been better suited for these games in terms of adding more story and content, the 3ds has a hard time handling them as is.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    Ducolamia and blizzardblaze like this.
  2. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

Here's some of my other problems with Gen 7:

Many of the new Pokemon are just too hard to find, either because they have low encounter rates or they have obscene requirements (this in the case of Marenie, who can only be found by getting a Corsola, which itself has a low encounter rate, to call one via SOS battles).
    I am not a fan of the revamped fishing. It just makes everything that isn't Magikarp too hard to come by.
    Making outfit colors version exclusive was a bad idea and was just a way to force people to use the Festival Plaza.

3. Ducolamia

Ducolamia SAYYYY WHAT???

I agree. Especially with the rarity of the pokemon in games like X and Y (as much as I'm not a fan of them), the distribution was nice enough so you got a variety of pokemon to chose from. Not with this game. In USUM it's better, but the encounter rate is so infuriating. I spent a half an hour trying to get a Pichu. In the first couple of routes. Ew.

Another thing that I think is a flaw is that festival plaza is garbage. You don't even need to use it because you get items cheaper with your money. But for some reason, instead of making things like battle items available to make the place more appealing, they force clothes colors and sometimes other things for you to get in there. They had to have known that no one would use FP is there was no reward for it. Why get clothes if they're already available in the game? The same with pokeball sets as well. Ridiculous. You didn't have version exclusive colors in X and Y (at least that I know of) What the heck? Also, you can't examine the facility you want before you get it.

Argentarus likes this.
  4. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

I do find fishing a much bigger hassle in S/M/US/UM, which is why I mostly traded for the new aquatic Gen VII Pokemon since I didn't want to hunt them down myself.

OshyHikari likes this.
  5. Argentarus

Argentarus Decidueye know better~

Another thing about the Festival Plaza is the Festival Coins and the global events that they had (the name is escaping me). If you start up a new game now, after they've done all of the global event things, you have to tediously grind for Festival Coins. You can't even get FCs for the events that were a success since the new save wasn't a part of the event. There's also some problems with the Festival Plaza minigames, the RNG is so up-in the air and the timer will NEVER STOP, even when at moments where it should.

And then each minigame varies on how many FCs are given out for each star, and it isn't standardized at all. The "type enthusiast" minigames seem to give out about 14-16 FCs for 3-4 stars, which probably makes it the highest-FC yielding minigame I know of. Everything just makes the minigames feel kinda cheap.
    (I avoid the "Show Your Muscles" minigame because there is absolutely no rhyme-or-reason to the NPC reactions, probably because I'm doing it wrong.)

EDIT: "Show your muscles" relies on the catchphrase the NPCs gives telling how awesome you are, and it gives out a lot of coins

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019 at 8:12 PM
    Ariki likes this.
  6. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Happy Minun

You should get FC by talking to plaza guests. Don't bother with the missions. Even without fortune tellers I usually get around 400-450 FC by doing one lap. Every hour you can do that again (the game gives the symbol on the Festival Plaza icon in the menu if you can talk to more guests). If you get quadruple FC for the day from fortune tellers you can get like 1600 FC for one lap, so if you do that like three times on one day that's about 5k FC. FC isn't that hard to get. I've got over 170k FC in my Ultra Sun file, and by far most of it gathered without fortune tellers. I gathered over 315k FC in total in my Ultra Sun file, so I spent about 145k FC.

I do think Festival Plaza is neat for EV training with bouncy houses. I can EV train to any spread in a matter of minutes (while finding a pokémon to SOS chain for a single stat can already take longer, and you always want to EV train multiple stats). Rare Kitchens are also nice for levelling stuff quickly to level 100. With two Rare Kitchens I can bring anything from level 60 to level 98 in like two minutes, and then use Rare Candies for the last two levels for Hyper Training.

7. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

I wouldn't call it a fault, more an absence or irritation, but...
    • The bias towards Gen I gets annoying. We only get Alola Forms of Kanto Pokemon, and we don't get new Alola Forms for anyone(much less non-Kanto Pokemon) in USUM. Gen 6 brought up new Megas in their next Gen 6 games(ORAS), why can't USUM give us new Alola forms?
    • The demonization of Mega Evolution in many Pokedex entries, saying it's negative for Pokemon, just to give some thinly veiled justification for why Megas aren't in the main game just because Z moves are the new fad
    • Lusamine's "redemption" and explanation for why she was a sociopath(she's high on Nihilego venom) didn't feel well handled and it comes off they were trying to find some redeeming qualities and avoid creating another Ghetsis. We're told, not shown, and the venom only eliminate inhibitions
    • Why does no-one specialize in Ice types and the Icium-Z? We could've gotten Wicke to use Ice types, it would be fun to battle her particularly now that Ice types have their own special evolution
    • The Ice Stone doesn't evolve any new Pokemon, only alola forms. They could've done more with the stone.
    • You can't have access to the National Dex. I get not having it normally because there are only a handful of Pokemon outside the Regional Dex you can obtain, but it would be nice if it was something you could unlock post-game as something optional
    • Despite being Pokemon Sun and Moon, you can't even get Solrock and Lunatone as an Island Scan. Those are so obvious inclusions. Also, I am upset you can't get the Oddish line, because Bellossom is based of hulas and luaus, and that's something associated with Hawaii, They gave us a flower wreath, but not Bellossom?
    • Comfey is yet another Fairy type that should have Grass in its typing. Even if it's more an "item" than anything, just making if Fairy/Grass instead of Grass/Fairy or just plain Fairy

OshyHikari likes this.