• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Faults of Generation V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Besides Dream World being eliminated, my only problem was with the lack of pokemon before you beat the first gym.

only half of those 4 pokemon are even good. though i wish the monkeys and Purrloin were better

I disliked the limited wild Pokemon prior to challenging that Gym as well; at the very least, I wish we had had access to a Flying-type before facing the first Gym.

Baggie_Saiyan

So much.

1. Hated the region map it was just so boring. Absolutely despise chargestone cave my god, nothing but sour memories of that place.

2. Overall designs and feels of the new Mons very little I was feeling and hate how BW1 restricted you to them (later fixed in BW2).

3. While animated sprites were a cool concept I hate how the back was pixalated.

4. Introduced the concept of shiny locking and lower catch rate for box Mons thus getting rid of the feeling of accomplishment.

5. BW2 did a poor job of following up the story and new character designs weren't as good.

I have probably played Gen 5 the most after Gen 2 but it just doesn't do it for me. I've given it more than a fair shot but I just think it's a Gen I'll ever like.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
-The regional design is horrendously linear, and the majority of the bridges weren't really needed (I do like Village and Skyarrow ones, though)
-The post-game is boring despite its large number of areas (fixed in the sequels)
-You can't grow berries in-game at all (whyyy?)
-The Black City/White Forest actually punish you for taking your time to explore everything in Black/White
-Some of the good/decent TMs were replaced with lame ones (like Struggle Bug, Incinerate and Smack Down)
-Musicals were even worse than Super Contests
-The back sprites are too pixelated
-I do like the experience scaling, since it makes it difficult to beat the game with just one overleveled Pokemon, but it is very poorly implemented (the Gym Leaders never use more than three Pokemon, the Elite Four only use four in the first battle). Their movesets also leave much to be desired. Yet for some reason in B/W, the trainers you face after defeating Ghetsis all use Pokemon at very high levels.
-Mienfoo, Pawniard, Vullaby and Rufflet evolve too late (the Deino line and Larvesta are more understandable)
-In the sequels, the key system is really poorly implemeted
-Again, in B2/W2, many Pokemon in the regional Dex are unobtainable until the post-game

Leonhart

Imagineer
The shiny lock in these games seemed somewhat unnecessary to me in hindsight. I still cannot figure out why Game Freak was against players catching Shiny Zekrom, Reshiram, and Victini.

GarchompTheAssassin

Water starter fan
- Too many filler mons, and too many of these seemed analogous to certain gen 1 pokemon, giving me the impression they were 'borrowing' ideas
- I felt gen V's sprites were worse than gen IV's, both in battle and overworld
- Maybe being a bit picky here but the constant animation of the pokemon was a little off putting (seemed a bit too mechanical?)
- BW2's protagonists had far inferior designs compared to Hilbert/Hilda
- I know there was a new EXP system, but levels some mons evolved at were pretty ridiculous... like what's so special about Bisharp that Pawniard needs to reach level 52? It has less than 500 BST lol

Nebbygetinthebag

-Pokemon like Larvesta and Deino evolve way too late

-Pokemon musical was boring

-Zorua and Zoroark are events only in Black and White

-The region is linear

-Some Pokemon are rehash from Generation 1.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Nebbygetinthebag said:
-Zorua and Zoroark are events only in Black and White

That was annoying for most players, although at the time I had a few spare Zoroark in Black version, so I made a lot of good trade deals by exchanging them. So for once a flaw in Gen V benefited me.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
After replaying both BW + B2W2 I've got a few things to say about Generation 5 as a whole. In regards to its faults I'd say:
  • I now understand what people mean by the leveling system being unbalanced. Since gaining levels took forever I resorted to only battling Audino while holding a Lucky Egg.
  • The Dream World was a flawed idea to begin with. I remember only using it several times to see what it had to offer. In the end it was just an awkward browser game that nowadays can't be accessed.
  • The fact that so many wild Pokemon have the same moves. Specifically Doubleslap, a move they'd keep using and always hit 5 times. It got frustrating!

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
Recently played the game again can confirm some faults.

1. The Pokemon in the early game suck. They all have crappy stats, horrendous movepool, or a mix of both. Pokemon either evolve too early making them unusable in later game play or evolve too late making them impossible to use during your journey. Even the regional bird Pokemon is crap. It's gets no good moves.

2. I like Unova's map design, but the problem is that it's pretty linear.

3. The post game is infuriating. Pokemon's levels are wayyy to high, trainers can beat you easily if you're not prepared and it's pretty unsatisfying to play the games post game because it doesn't feel fun. It feels like a chore. Who thought having 60+ Pokemon after barely reaching level 50 was a good idea?

4. Dream World was flawed in execution. Many of the objects you could get like berries or egg moves are now impossible to do.

5. Pokemon musical sucks. It's a waste of space and does nothing. You get no good items from it and it's more useless than contests.

6. The entire game could've been about N and his ideals but then they shoehorn the stupid Ghetsis subplot, taking a part away from the narrative.

7. The key system is dumb. Really really, dumb. Why do I need another game to unlock hard and easy mode? Why are certain character development scenes locked behind a second game? Why do I need a second game to get special Pokemon already available in the game?

Overall, fun and enjoyable. These gripes aren't the biggest concern but they are unfortunate.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
7. The key system is dumb. Really really, dumb. Why do I need another game to unlock hard and easy mode? Why are certain character development scenes locked behind a second game? Why do I need a second game to get special Pokemon already available in the game?
Yeah I didn’t like having to beat the game just to unlock difficulty modes. Even you have to connect to a copy of the other version just to get the other one and then you have to beat the game in both versions.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ducolamia said:
3. The post game is infuriating. Pokemon's levels are wayyy to high, trainers can beat you easily if you're not prepared and it's pretty unsatisfying to play the games post game because it doesn't feel fun. It feels like a chore. Who thought having 60+ Pokemon after barely reaching level 50 was a good idea?

I'm playing White right now, and this is a big issue. Even with Level 70 Pokemon that have Lucky Eggs attached, my team is still struggling against post-game trainers.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
I'm playing White right now, and this is a big issue. Even with Level 70 Pokemon that have Lucky Eggs attached, my team is still struggling against post-game trainers.

Me too. Playing through Black and in the Dreamyard. I'm thankful I have good pokemon to use because anything else would've been horribly beaten. The only good thing that comes from the high levels with the trainers is that I gain levels more easily, but I'm deathly afraid to defeat the Elite 4 in this game because they are TOUGH if you don't know what you're doing. I actually blacked out to Marshal because I poorly planned my strategy.

Black and White are fantastic games, but man did they have some kinks in them. Very grateful for BW2.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Me too. Playing through Black and in the Dreamyard. I'm thankful I have good pokemon to use because anything else would've been horribly beaten. The only good thing that comes from the high levels with the trainers is that I gain levels more easily, but I'm deathly afraid to defeat the Elite 4 in this game because they are TOUGH if you don't know what you're doing. I actually blacked out to Marshal because I poorly planned my strategy.

Black and White are fantastic games, but man did they have some kinks in them. Very grateful for BW2.
Well that has a lot to do with EXP scaling, where Pokémon gain more EXP if there level is less than the level of the opponent and they gain less EXP if their level is more than the opponent. Considering it's the first time it has been implemented in a Pokémon game, it wouldn't be too surprising if there's bits of sudden difficulty changes.

Daizy

I call you honey
Recently played the game again can confirm some faults.

1. The Pokemon in the early game suck. They all have crappy stats, horrendous movepool, or a mix of both. Pokemon either evolve too early making them unusable in later game play or evolve too late making them impossible to use during your journey. Even the regional bird Pokemon is crap. It's gets no good moves.

Pidove was a letdown compared to Starly for me. I also hated how we couldn't even catch Pidove until after beating Cilan/Chili/Cress.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Mamepato (Pidove) and its evolved forms had generic movesets in Gen V, which was a shame when compared to the previous regional bird Pokemon. That's why I preferred using Wargle (Braviary).

Denko Sekka

I'd say Musicals were a scam. I remember how the first reveal on Coro Coro made Musicals seem like Contests 2.0 yet they ended up being so bad with no real purpose.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Denko Sekka said:
I'd say Musicals were a scam. I remember how the first reveal on Coro Coro made Musicals seem like Contests 2.0 yet they ended up being so bad with no real purpose.

They have limited interaction for sure, yet I did kind of enjoy the fact that we needed to collect the props in B/W to get a Trainer Card upgrade. That was fun to me.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
-The lack of "good" Pokémon in the beginning. I'm probably one of the few who likes Pidove and the Elemental monkeys (I always use one) but my god is it hard to use them.
-The post game.
-The constant stops for talking about Plasma and the morals the game's trying to convey.
-Insane level jump in post game
-Alder.
-How you have to fight the Champion post game
-This being a story centered game. Ik it's a unpopular opinion. Just me tho :)
-Team Plasma minus Colress.
-Musicals
-Dream World being handled the way it was.
-Lack of planting Berries

Status
Not open for further replies.