• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Faults of Generation V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
The fact that in BW you couldn’t revisit N’s Castle after defeating Ghetsis was a bit disappointing since it had some interesting visuals and it’s easy to forget to get all of the items.

Some of the HA given to certain Pokémon made them worse than before especially in the case of Delibird which basically had the same Ability as it normally could get and Durant.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
If Durant's HA being Truant isn't a troll by Gamefreak, I don't know what is

Miar

Wigglytuff Guild recruit
Five complaints:

1: Dream World. It's gone! It was the only place to plant berries and encounter secret ability Pokemon, which is a bummer for players now. And before it was gone, it was locked to one per version, and B2W2 had less than a year to enjoy it.

2: Musicals were worse than DP's contests.

3: The way too late evolutions. Remember that all 3 enemy Hydreigons are underleveled. I was so glad Braviary (Best bird!) and Volcarona could be found early in W2 (Mandibuzz in B2).

4: B2W2's midgame is a too similar to the BW's. The games as a whole are OK but once you hit Castelia, it's the same 4 badges with minimal story changes and new Pokemon.

5: Even with Cilan and a better TR, the anime fell flat. Ash's character was weaker. Iris was bad. Team Plasma was poorly handled (Yes there were some IRL reasons for it but still). And after THAT, we got what's basically Orange Islands II minus the league.

Now before I start, I want to mention my team I used in my play through of Pokemon Black:
Emboar (Back in the day, Tepig was my favorite pokemon)
Stoutland
Swanna (Great HM slave kinda)
Sawk (Probably my favorite fighting type)
Chandelure
Carracosta (Ended up being replaced by Reshiram)

Now then, one thing I should complain that I'm surprised no one mentioned is that GEN 5 IS LITERALLY THE ONLY POKEMON GENERATION TO NOT INCLUDE PIKACHU ANYWHERE IN THE GAME!!!!!!!!!! Otherwise, I also disliked that beating the elite 4 was hard. It took me longer to prepare for the E4 in Black then I did in Diamond. In Diamond, I literally had a Lv 33 Croagunk in the hall of fame. While in Black, all my pokemon were above LV 50 except for my Carracosta which was LV49. And lastly is how it is easier for the NPCs to destroy your high level pokemon. I am recently trying to evolve some Diamond pokemon (5 at a time), and I saw my Reshiram go down quicker than if I were to do it in Alpha Sapphire or Ultra Sun.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
If they ever remake Black and White they need to include the ability to obtain Pikachu in-game without transfer/trading. Pikachu is the series mascot and not being able to obtain it in G5 was a travesty. It looked even worse considering Ash took his Pikachu to Unova in the anime.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
If they ever remake Black and White they need to include the ability to obtain Pikachu in-game without transfer/trading. Pikachu is the series mascot and not being able to obtain it in G5 was a travesty. It looked even worse considering Ash took his Pikachu to Unova in the anime.
Especially if Dexit is still a thing by the time they remade Black & White. Pikachu would literally not be in the games' data at all.

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
I didn't find anything wrong with it other than poor movesets and stats for them and high level evolutions. I love Gen 5 more than any other generation.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
The worst things about Gen V was that you couldn’t have Black and White Kyruem on 1 save file,musicals were useless,and they haven’t made black 3 yet I mean come on

Leonhart

Imagineer
Pikachu Fan Number Nine said:

I personally found it refreshing that Pikachu wasn't available in the wild in Black and White. It almost reminded me of how Pikachu could only be found late in the game in G/S/C. Sometimes seeing less of Pikachu is a good thing considering its overwhelming presence in almost all forms of Pokemon media.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Humilau City was a bit of a mess in terms of music and Marlon being the final Gym. The music sounded too Christmasy and as if it’d fit better in a icy location like Snowpoint or Snowbelle. The bells were a really odd choice for a tropical inspired local. Marlon was laughable easy to one shot even on the Hard difficulty even if you were very much underleveled. I literally decimated his team once on Hard Mode with a level 37 Gavantula just by using Thunderbolt alone. And he just let it happen and barely attacked me. A final Gym Leader should not be that easy to defeat.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
I found the leveling to be a bit off.It seems like you can't skip a single trainer battle if you wanna be the same level as the gym leaders.Also didn't like how once you beat the elite four every post game trainers pokemon are like 20 levels above you so you can't battle Alder yet unless you did a lot of grinding.

TwilightBlade

Humilau City was a bit of a mess in terms of music and Marlon being the final Gym. The music sounded too Christmasy and as if it’d fit better in a icy location like Snowpoint or Snowbelle. The bells were a really odd choice for a tropical inspired local. Marlon was laughable easy to one shot even on the Hard difficulty even if you were very much underleveled. I literally decimated his team once on Hard Mode with a level 37 Gavantula just by using Thunderbolt alone. And he just let it happen and barely attacked me. A final Gym Leader should not be that easy to defeat.

I didn't have a problem with Humilau City itself but I do agree that Marlon wasn't a challenge. Also I never really liked his character because he helped us access the Plasma Frigate and then he just took off without helping to stop Team Plasma afterwards.

Leonhart

Imagineer
TwilightBlade said:
I didn't have a problem with Humilau City itself but I do agree that Marlon wasn't a challenge. Also I never really liked his character because he helped us access the Plasma Frigate and then he just took off without helping to stop Team Plasma afterwards.

I do remember that, although in his defense he had other priorities since he was a Gym Leader and he didn't need to directly involve himself with the Plasma-dan's plans. It was already nice enough of Shizui (Marlon) to lower the boarding plank, anyway.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Yeah. Marlon was too much of a pushover and way too laid back to be taken seriously. Even the anime did a terrible job at making him both interesting and a competent Gym Leader. At least with Wallace and Juan they each had Pokémon that not only had coverage moves but also a Kingdra that was a nightmare to get rid of because of Recover and also if you had no Dragon Pokémon since that was its only weakness at the time. And even if you DID have a Dragon on you, another Kingdra was your best bet at winning because Wallace and Juan’s had Ice Beam which did 4x damage to every other fully evolved Dragon Pokémon found in Hoenn. Marlon could have at least had a Seismitoad to take care of Electric Pokémon.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
If they would’ve given Marlon a team like this

Jellicent

Wailord

carracosta

Seimitoad

And given seismitoad ice punch I might’ve been a challenge

TwilightBlade

I do remember that, although in his defense he had other priorities since he was a Gym Leader and he didn't need to directly involve himself with the Plasma-dan's plans. It was already nice enough of Shizui (Marlon) to lower the boarding plank, anyway.

I get that he was a gym leader and all that, but then I remember how eager and willing all the other Unova gym leaders were to help at N's Castle in B/W, so the fact that this new gym leader guy wasn't so committed to stopping new!Team Plasma just rubbed me the wrong way.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Emboar_Rulez said:
If they would’ve given Marlon a team like this

Jellicent

Wailord

carracosta

Seimitoad

And given seismitoad ice punch I might’ve been a challenge

I question if him owning a Gamageroge (Seismitoad) would've made a real difference. Personally, even though I thought he was a pretty easy final Gym Leader in B2/W2, I can't think of a way for Game Freak to have made him more challenging since Water-types are typically easy enough to deal with even when they have a secondary typing. At least they introduced difficulty settings in B2/W2 to raise the levels of trainers' Pokemon, although one of the flaws of that feature was needing to link with another game to use the Key System.

Leonhart

Imagineer
NeganTheSavior said:
I'm replaying Black 1 and everything feels super awkward now that the Dream World is gone.

I wish that Nintendo had found a way to support that feature even after Gen V stopped being the hot commodity. I actually really liked the Dream World's mini-games, so I at least wish that they could still be played.

Status
Not open for further replies.