• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Faults of Generation V

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeganTheSavior

I'm replaying Black 2 right now. I almost didn't get it because of some of the review scores it was getting at the time. I'm so glad I ignored the critics and I love it.

I also completely forgot about the medal system. That was pretty neat.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Yeah plus in White 2 you could also get Braviary at level 25 which has a quite frankly an awesome movepool with great physical options. It was only available on one day but for something like Braviary that's worth the wait.

That Braviary (with Defiant, its HA) was available on Mondays if I remember. Thursdays in B2 get Mandibuzz with Weak Armor.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I also completely forgot about the medal system. That was pretty neat.
It was a nice addition to the games but now it is impossible to 100% the system as several Medals dealt with the Dream World. The Wailord Medal isn’t too hard to get if you go into the Marine Tube between 3-4 PM as Wailord will appear a bit more.

Luthor

That Braviary (with Defiant, its HA) was available on Mondays if I remember. Thursdays in B2 get Mandibuzz with Weak Armor.

Yeah precisely. I like Mandibuzz too (and it also had a better movepool than Unfezant in gen 5) but I prefer it with overcoat myself.

NeganTheSavior

It was a nice addition to the games but now it is impossible to 100% the system as several Medals dealt with the Dream World. The Wailord Medal isn’t too hard to get if you go into the Marine Tube between 3-4 PM as Wailord will appear a bit more.
I just realized I posted that in the wrong thread. Whoops.

But yeah, anything with the Dream World has aged like milk.

FloatzieDPPT

playing Version X
The day/night cycle will always put me off, i enjoy Gen III a lot because i usually play during the evening yet it is still sunny and vibrant, but with later Generations the game feels quite different for people like me who play 6pm-9pm, not the good type of different.

I can excuse Generation IV with the noticeable changes with the instruments but after that generation it gets pretty jarring.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I did hate a lot of things people mentioned about the Dream World too (going out of their way to keep HAs rare and prevent you from distributing them, shutting it down leaving the game feeling incomplete). But I'll highlight something that hasn't been mentioned, did they really have to lock berry planting to the DW? Even at the time that seemed like a dumb decision to make a standard QoL feature like that exclusive to a browser based expansion without even knowing it was eventually going to be shut down.

Really 5th gen got rid of several QoL features from the first few generations that made it feel like a step backwards from 4th gen. No berry planting in the main game is a big one, but it goes further than that. Trainer rematching was nerfed to the sports stadiums in Nimbasa whereas previous games have had a system for rematching random trainers since 2nd gen (the Pokegear Phone in GSCHGSS, Trainer's Eyes/Match Call in RSE, Vs. Seeker in FRLG). Unova's regional gadget in the C-Gear was much less useful than the likes of the Pokegear, Pokenav, and Poketch which all had multiple QoL features for tracking certain mechanics, whereas the C-Gear was mainly just a glorified syncing device used to access the DW and Entralink with little else of value. It did introduce some of its own QoL features, but in general it felt like one step forward and two steps back.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Gen V also had a really disappointing use of Dive in the overworld. Diving in Gen III and ORAS was amazing because you get to explore a whole new world that is underneath the ocean and see things that are extremely easy to miss from the surface and discovering ancient ruins and even a hidden entrance to what seemed like an inaccessible city was fun. Gen V only had one Diving location and it was rather lackluster as the ruins weren’t visually that awe inspiring and we had the Safari Zone step count limit inside. It was too much work and frustration just to get the highest paying sellable items in the games.

Kamex25

In B/W, Ghetsis' Hydreigon was OP. It has Fire Blast to beat Ice and Bug types, so you cannot really counter it unless you have a strong fighting type. It does help that you can use Reshiram/Zekrom in the battle and I think Cynthia's Garchomp in Gen 4 was harder, but otherwise it was overwhelming to face Ghetsis. You pretty much have to rely on healing your Pokémon with potion and revives. You also need to come prepared to the fight by grinding a lot in Victory Road. I don't think Ghetsis was as hard to beat in B2/W2 though.

The game also has a lot of hand holding. Your rivals Cheren/Bianca guide you often and show up more frequently than in previous games. You also encounter Team Plasma at almost every city and route in Unova. In most of the Pokémon games, you normally don't encounter the villainous teams until you've earned you're first gym badge and they're less prevalent in the games. However, in Gen 5 you literally cannot walk into another location without being interrupted by Plasma like first at Accumula Town, then the Dreamyard, then the route after that, then the next town, and after that Pinwheel Forest, then Castelia and so on. You're also forced to listen to Ghetsis' long speeches throughout the game. All of these constant interruptions by Plasma and the other characters take away freedom to explore the region at your own pace.

Alder looks like he's almost a rip-off of Dakim from Pokémon Colosseum. You're forced to do a lot of grinding in to postgame in order to beat his Pokémon that are above level 70. Though it does help you're given the Lucky Egg and that you can do Audino battles in Gen 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.