• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Faults of GenII

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
In hindsight, Game Freak making Tattu (Horsea) and Seadra half Dragon-type could've easily worked since they had no problem making the Coil (Magnemite) line into half Steel-types in Gen II. I don't think that Yorunozuku (Noctowl) would've worked as a half Ghost-type, however. To me it doesn't resemble a spirit or ghost at all.
Noctowl always felt more like a Psychic Type. I mean it could learn Hypnosis, Dream Eater, Confusion, and Reflect by level up back then and the only Ghost attack it could learn was Nightmare. It is also said to be very intelligent which is a trait shared by many Psychic types.

TwilightBlade

ive got 4 gen 2 cartridges and every single one of them is out of battery : (

That sucks but it seems like almost everyone's Gen 2 carts are completely dead at this point. The only one that I've seen that worked was in a recent YT video where the video maker showed his old Silver save file but I have no idea how his battery was still alive.

iCakeify

Luxray Fanboy
That sucks but it seems like almost everyone's Gen 2 carts are completely dead at this point. The only one that I've seen that worked was in a recent YT video where the video maker showed his old Silver save file but I have no idea how his battery was still alive.
they all work; they just won't save.

Leonhart

Imagineer
iCakeify said:
they all work; they just won't save.

Which makes the G/S/C cartridges redundant unless you plan on starting a new game just to see how far you can get before shutting off the console.

bme™

"Could it be... the legend...?"
One of the main faults of Gen II is most of the time it feels very easy. Sure Whitney can be difficult for first timers, but otherwise none of the other NPCs offer much challenge (excluding Blue and Red). It felt like most trainers had slapped together teams with little variety.

Speaking of Red, for what was going to be the last games, he was kinda underwhelming. At first his levels seem scary, but some things about his team are silly and give convenient ways to beat him. For an optional final boss he should've been way harder.

Another annoying fault is learn able moves. For example, Crobat can't learn Sludge Bomb, making it less appealing to use. This was improved in later gens thankfully, but doesn't help this old gen.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
One of the main faults of Gen II is most of the time it feels very easy. Sure Whitney can be difficult for first timers, but otherwise none of the other NPCs offer much challenge (excluding Blue and Red). It felt like most trainers had slapped together teams with little variety.

Speaking of Red, for what was going to be the last games, he was kinda underwhelming. At first his levels seem scary, but some things about his team are silly and give convenient ways to beat him. For an optional final boss he should've been way harder.

Another annoying fault is learn able moves. For example, Crobat can't learn Sludge Bomb, making it less appealing to use. This was improved in later gens thankfully, but doesn't help this old gen.
Well Clair can be rather tricky to deal with if you had no one to help you evolve Seadra to deal with her Kingdra.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Captain Jigglypuff said:
Well Clair can be rather tricky to deal with if you had no one to help you evolve Seadra to deal with her Kingdra.

She was a challenge, although there were Ice-types available at the Ice Path to counter her three Hakuryu (Dragonair), as well as wild Miniryu (Dratini) that could be found via fishing on Route 45 and received as prizes from the Game Corner in G/S.

Sakuyamon

Not a fault per say but I got so annoyed with the constant Pokegear phone calls. I would be walking around minding my own business when I'd get a call about something stupid that I didn't care for. I only liked the Pokegear because some people would call you about swarms but that was VERY rare.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Sakuyamon said:
Not a fault per say but I got so annoyed with the constant Pokegear phone calls. I would be walking around minding my own business when I'd get a call about something stupid that I didn't care for. I only liked the Pokegear because some people would call you about swarms but that was VERY rare.

I disliked getting interrupted with pointless phone calls as well, although at least in Crystal version several NPCs would call you to give you rare items occasionally, and not just random bits of trivia or wasteful conversations.

WaterTypeStarter

The two region seems cool until you realize in retrospect that the Kanto of GSC is just a watered down version of Kanto in RBY, with "Rock Tunnel" being the only long dungeon to still be (Diglett's Cave was small in the original games) and everything else being cut down or gone. And the gyms either have their puzzles removed or the same (except Janine with a new gimmick). And Mt Silver is just a cave.

chozen

Man I still remember playing as a kid and hating how slow the beginning was. Running shoes weren't a thing, so you had to wait until Goldenrod to get a bike. Walking in these games was one of the worst things ever.

The movepools are also.. bad. Don't know if there's any other way to put it. Still remember using Flame Wheel as my strongest stab move on my level 45 Growlithe. It doesn't learn Flamethrower until level 50 and it's not a TM in these games. Shoutout to that one guy who would call you when he got Fire Stones though, he helped my Growlithe forget those tough times.

Like the above poster mentioned, Kanto is cool the first time, but soon becomes a speedrun. You have one sidequest with the rocket guy stealing the power plant part, and a rival battle. Literally nothing else, story-wise, happens.

Venomshock

I'd say it isn't much of a problem that Kanto has little plot. The problem is that you can explore the same region but better in gen 1.

So what you're saying is that they should not have included Kanto in the generation 2 games? If that had meant a bigger Johto region then I wouldn't have had a problem with that idea.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
So what you're saying is that they should not have included Kanto in the generation 2 games? If that had meant a bigger Johto region then I wouldn't have had a problem with that idea.
I think the issue is that Kanto was heavily altered to the point it was barely recognizable due to memory restrictions of the GBC carts. At least the remakes made it more like the Kanto of Gen I And remakes. Mt Moon became a two floor cave with what was essentially just a storefront with a tiny pond, Viridian Forest was too small and linear, and you couldn’t even explore Cerulean Cave because it was completely erased from existence and the NPC claiming it caved in story is one I’m not buying. There were no evidence of a cave being once there at all. Legend of Zelda Oracle of Ages managed to show a ruined collapsed cave and it was released the same time as GSC.

WaterTypeStarter

What I am saying is that the two region thing of gen 2 is not as impressive as it may seem at first, given the second region is essentially a copy of Gen 1 except with barely exploration.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
I liked Kanto in general back in the early days of the franchise before it became overexposed, so I personally don't think that my dislike of Kanto's design in G/S/C stems from the novelty wearing off. I just thought it was a shame that so many places that could be explored in Kanto in R/G/B/Y were removed in G/S/C.

DJWT

I am ready.
I personally thought that having Kanto included in the game seemed like a really cool addition. Seeing the difference between Kanto and Johto really felt like something special to me and the idea of having eight more badges to collect after beating the e4 was awesome. I do admit that I was annoyed at times from pokegear calls that were complety useless and Kanto could have had much more exploration, but overall I thought that gen II was an amazing generation and I will always remember my time in these games.

Baggie_Saiyan

Not many:

Baby Pokemon worst kind of Dex filler at least like Gen 4 gave us mostly new Evolutions for the Dex filler. Some of the cut Mons were cool pretty much everyone agrees the fire seal was amazing.

Kanto. Just basically a collect gym bades quest which I guess is fine but maybe a little bit more story would have been a nice. Maybe Kanto would build up to Red better.