• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The faults of X and Y

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Venomshock said:
Very boring graphics. I know that Y and X were the first completely 3D pokemon games but like come on. Also I didn't like how easy leveling up was in these games even without abusing the Exp Share.

I never tried leveling up without using the Exp. Share since I never turned it off. I do remember how over-leveled my team was by the end of the main storyline in X version, though. When I played Y version I deliberately stopped battling wild Pokemon for extra experience and just battled trainers, but even then my Y team was still in the high 70s when I arrived at the Pokemon League.

Apparently someone thought that the reason there wasn't a Z version because they wanted to do something for it's 20th anniversary and do it with a new Gen. Although I feel that's speculation on my friend's part.

Sounds like speculation but could also be accurate. I always thought that maybe Nintendo pressured Gamefreak to move on to Sun and Moon because they thought it would be more profitable to end generation 6 and begin generation 7 as soon as possible. I always hated X and Y for being unchallenging so maybe it was a good decision.

Leonhart

Imagineer
carterfeygo said:
Sounds like speculation but could also be accurate. I always thought that maybe Nintendo pressured Gamefreak to move on to Sun and Moon because they thought it would be more profitable to end generation 6 and begin generation 7 as soon as possible. I always hated X and Y for being unchallenging so maybe it was a good decision.

I remember fans speculating that we would get "Gen 6.5" in "Z version" during the last year or two of the Gen VI era, and I often wonder if that was really something that Game Freak planned at one point before they moved on to Gen VII. Personally though, since I disliked Gen VI in general, I'm sort of glad that we didn't get a Kalos game sequel.

Leonhart

Imagineer
juiccbox said:
It was insanely easy and many of the story and characters were forgettable. But it did give us some cool Pokémon and fairy types at least

My issue with the introduction of Fairy-types is that it was done in a very contrived way as a method of weakening the dominance of Dragon-types. I also didn't like how Game Freak went ahead and retconned a lot of older Pokemon into becoming Fairy-types.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Zygarde definitely got ripped off in the games. There was no explanation of its connection to Kalos and the Box Legendaries And its forms were put into Alola where it to be seemed out of place. I guess you could argue that the threat of the UB sent it there but you didn’t even get Complete Zygarde until after the post game story line.

LusoTrainer

Retro Trainer
It may sound like I didn't like the games at all (I did), but since this is what the thread is about, here it goes:

Mega Evolutions - Completely unnecessary concept and gimmick. It breaks the balance of the whole thing. Makes an already easy game even easier, and worse, it's reserved to only some (fan favorite) Pokémon that are not even native to the region... They should have wasted their time and money creating new Pokémon. Or more importantly, fixing the problems I'll name below.

Team Flare - It's one thing to have antagonists that are not that serious, another thing entirely is to give then an hollow goal. And Team Flare has the latter, which makes them a group of nonsensical nuisances, instead of a problem I'm looking forward to take care of.

Friends - Too many, useless and forgettable. And that's including the rival which is not a rival at all. I know the games are targeted towards kids, but the whole "Maybe The Real Achievement Was the Friends We Made Along the Way" that's shoved in most modern kid stories, XY included, is something that sounds good on the surface but is a bad message with dangerous consequences. Kids want to be challenged, they want to fail, learn and grow. Timeless works, entertainment works that appeal to everyone and stick from generation to generation have those elements. The "everybody is a winner" mentality is unappealing and forgettable. And that's the gibberish these NPCs repeat ad nauseum.

Gifts - I'm a Kanto fan. I started with Red back in 1999. I don't mind the so-called "Kanto pandering". I welcome it, when it's done right. Being given things away without earning them is not right. Getting the Kanto starters, which are special Pokémon, so easily and so early in the adventure is a "cheat". And these are some of my favorite Pokémon. Lucario is another example, even though it's a Pokémon I don't like or even care about. Turns out I don't even need to have to look for a rare Pokémon with mega evolution. They are given away so easily.

Story - Pokémon games, at least those that I've played, always had a simple story. I'm not asking for a complex story, but if you're going to put a bunch of story elements, they are better not be left dangling or come out as forgotten and underdeveloped. That AZ side-story felt like it came out of nowhere and never had a proper pay off. It's like starting a movie on the third act. There's no build up. Why should I care about it at all?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.