• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The faults of X and Y

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Programming AZ’s Floette completely into the game with actual stats and signature move yet never releasing it to players always annoyed me.

It kind of reminds me of the Azure Flute from D/P/Pt and how that wasn't officially released as an event item, although I understand why AZ's Floette was more desirable given its unique attack.

Missingno.Fan

• Terrible pacing. There is like 100 hours of gameplay between the first and second gym.
  • Hardly any post game story.
  • AZ felt tacked on.
  • The lack of a third installment about Zygarde.
  • Pandering to fans of older Pokémon. Stuff like getting a Kanto starters and battling Mewtwo. Which leads me to my next point...
  • Mega Evolutions. There I said it. The idea was cool in theory, but wasn’t fully realized. A lot of them looked like they asked a third grader to come up with evolutions to their favorite Pokémon. Also a lot of them are to Pokémon who were good enough in the first place.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Pretty much everything imo. The only things I actually liked from these games was the female playable character's design and some of the soundtrack (though most of it was pretty bland tbh)

tyranitar.armaldo

King of the reptiles
Quite frankly I feel that these were some of the worst pokemon games ever produced, and I would actually classify them as "bad games".

-Worst pacing in any Pokemon game I have ever played, perhaps even the worst pacing I have ever experienced in any game PERIOD.

-Megas. Designs were dreadful (bits tacked on to existing pokemon). Choices of who got Megas was biased towards gen1 and popular pokemon (regardless of whether the pokemon was already powerful). Implementation was poor (I could catch a random wild Kangaskhan, slap a megastone on it and go from there. No bonding needed). It was poorly balanced (basically 1 member of your team was now forced to be one of these powerful pokemon, and the fact some were so much more powerful than others meant it wasn't even a choice who you picked).
Also its existence now forbids some pokemon from ever evolving (Mawile).

-Gen1 pandering to an extreme I have never seen before. Kanto Starters. Majority of Megas were Gen1. Mewtwo & the legendary Birds formed the majority of the legendaries. Snorlax blocking the path. Viridian Forest instead of a new one.
All this sucked away the life of the region and stopped it feeling like a new place, and just a gen1 fan-service game.

-Exposition dumping. Almost all the plot was ham-fisted right at the very end in a long cutscene by AZ that I frankly didn't have time to care about and had not been built up to properly.

-Villains were nonsensical even by Pokemon's standard. Flare Grunts and Lysandre clashed horribly in their motives and attitude, felt like Lysandre had nothing to do with them, or two different design teams worked on Lysandre and Flare independently.
This felt even worse after coming off the back of Gen5's fantastic Team Plasma.

-Pokemon numbers at the lowest we have ever seen. I know we can't have Unova numbers every time, but dropping below Johto's low amount is pretty bad.

-Rivals were too numerous and irritating. No time was given to building all these rivals up, and I don't blame GF for that as there were far too many to realistically handle well. It was ok up until gym 3 and then it kinda all felt apart from there.

-Areas that seemed to be teased and in the distance, but never came to anything (Power Plant). Or were so small that there was basically nothing to do there (haunted swamp).

-Post game was lacklustre. Battle Tower, Safari Zone and 1 small quest. That's it. Almost the bare minimum was put into that.

-Difficulty. Even without the EXP-Share the game was a joke. I had it off all game (and refused to use Megas, and the Lucario thrust upon you at gym 3) and never struggled with anything.

Last edited:

Kage-Pikachu

I may be in the minority but I loved the rivals from X and Y, especially Shauna. Sure they didn't have as much impact on the story as Lillie, Gladion, and Hau but I loved battling them and all the scenes where they appeared together. That scene where we all (save for the main rival) battled on the bridge was one of my favorites in the whole game.

I agree that AZ was handled terribly, if he had been a character that had appeared earlier on in the story instead of simply in one small cut-scene before finding him imprisoned by Team Flare in his next appearance then his build up as the 3000+ year old king would have been a much better reveal. I really liked how Cyrus made an appearance in the very beginning of Platinum, I think the scene in which we first saw AZ contemplating should have come near the same time. We probably should have even had a double battle at some point to explicitly show he was against Team Flare and dwell slightly more into his character during a few dialogue scenes. But well...they didn't.

I found the Mega Evolutions to look much more visually attractive in the anime and official artwork than I do the 3d models so they grew on me despite my initial dislike (for cosmetic reasons). I do believe the requirements should have been greater like maximized friendship and happiness but i guess GF didn't want people who didn't want to spend extra time engrossed in the game to be able to battle online with each other (but maybe they could have made an exception for online but in actual gameplay have to have a strong bond. I mean Ash-Greninja can transform with no effort made bonding and his Ability is freaking Battle BOND!!!)

I also agree the pacing in the beginning was bad. Despite using 2 teams my Pokemon were often over-leveled and I did not have the willpower to turn off the EXP Share, lol.

Lysander was pretty interesting but I think he had a really obscured vision of beauty.... I mean 5 million Pokedollars to be able to live? What the hell does that have to do with beauty. Basically the poor are ugly to him with that logic and should be eliminated. Maybe he could have had a realization (even if he didn't change his ideals) that his and Team Flare's actions were clashing since their was nothing "beautiful" about anything they were doing.

I was so shocked by the lack of new Pokemon that despite going the entire year with no spoilers, I looked up all the Pokemon (ruining months of willpower) to see if if was true or not. I couldn't believe my eyes. So basically, if I wanted to play with a team of all new Pokemon (which I always do during my first playthrough of a Pokemon game) then my team consisted of nearly the same Pokemon each time. It got a little boring though I did get a chance to use EVERY new Pokemon during a playthrough and that was fun in its own way.

I've also mentioned this elsewhere, but for a gen with so few legendary Pokemon, you would think that ALL of them would have equal story presence... Zygarde got shafted hard! If they were planning Sun and Moon for the 20th anniversary, then they should have made X and Y longer with the post game consisting of Zygarde while keeping the main game focus on Xerneas or Yvetal.

Leonhart

Imagineer
The Generation I nostalgia bait and constant Kanto pandering during these games did kind of tick me off since I had no interest in Kanto references, and I also felt that Kalos's low number of new Pokemon was a result of Game Freak choosing to design 25 or so Megas.

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
I could be snarky, say “the whole game” and be done with it, but I’ll just talk about one specific aspect today.

It’s the damn “friends” and I use quotation marks for a reason. Each of them are just one note characters on a permanent loop, be it Pokédex nerd, dancer, memory person, healing item dude, whatever. They’re not even characters, just bland tropes that never expand on their one role and never develop as characters. This is bad enough as it is but this is also following the generation where we had N, an actually well written character who has multiple layers and grows / develops as the plot progresses. How did they go so wrong after that?

Last edited:

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
- Rivals were not very remarkable.

- Team Flare were a complete joke.

- Next to no post-game, guess it can be somewhat excused since it is Game Freak's first foray into 3D.

- Overly reliant on Gen 1 references.

- The lore of the Legendary Pokemon were not well developed.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
That is true, other than the fact that they had great enough power to power the "ultimate weapon" we were really never told much about them in game.
Yeah. Literally the only thing we knew about Xerneas and Yveltal were about their dormant states and how often they become dormant.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Looking back on XY as a whole I've come to realize these games haven't aged well. The story, characters, and Generation 1 pandering are its weakest points.

• Story: The overall story isn't that memorable. I feel Mega Evolution isn't a compelling enough reason for me to go on an adventure. You don't find out much about it until ORAS anyways.
  • Characters:
    • This game probably had the most forgettable characters. From the start all your neighbors are cliche and don't have much development. This was the start of the friendly rival trend and I'm tired of them saying "Oh gosh I've lost again. Maybe I'll do better next time."
    • Team Flare and Lysandere are probably the least compelling villains in the series. Their outfits alone are strange compared to other teams.
  • Generation 1 Pandering: I'll admit at first I was interested in the Mega Charizard, Blastoise, and Lucario. But now that its several years later I'm over the novelty of Mega Evolution. Also looking back I see why people are tired of them pandering to Generation 1. Those connections even bleeding into SM.

nickdt

XY lacked story, that much is clear. But we also have too realize that XY was basically Gamefreaks Test Game for 3d, just like how the Lets Go Games are gonna be a test for the Switch (They basically realized their mistake with what they did with XY).

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
XY lacked story, that much is clear. But we also have too realize that XY was basically Gamefreaks Test Game for 3d, just like how the Lets Go Games are gonna be a test for the Switch (They basically realized their mistake with what they did with XY).
There are still a few things left completely unanswered from XY that even ORAS didn’t bother trying to fix such as AZ’s Floette being fully programmed into the games with its very own stats and signature move and Zygarde’s true connection to Xerneas and Yveltal. Zygarde getting its forms in Gen VII made it feel more like it was meant to debut in SM.

KurashiDragon

Well-known Dragonite Enthusiast
There were to many rivals. I didn't really have a problem with them in general but it's pretty obvious that they cut into each other's character development. You could've gotten rid of Tierno and the other one that competes with you by dex completion *is it apt that I cant remember his name XD* and literally nothing would've changed.

I liked Lysandre but team flare feels itself is kind of dumb. Like fashion hunters, really? That's what you got going for you? I feel like if the team itself were more seriously involved with the region like Lysandre then they'd pobably be much better. Like have them run some boutiques. Have them selling some stuff. Lysandre is really involved with the region and even Malva, one of this Elite 4 members is invovled with Team Flare. They could be right out in the open doing what it is they do, with some criminal mischief on the side but no, they're just kinda there for most of the game. Kind of dumb if you ask me.

Truth be told, the gen 1 pandering doesn't really affect me in X / Y. Yes, this is where it all started. With the mega evolutions of mostly gen 1 pokemon, the re-release of red / blue / yellow and some fairly obvious nods in the region itself *At this point most of us have realized Santalune forest is literally Viridian Forest.* which is why I'm mentioning it but at the point I played X/Y everything felt good. Black 2 / White 2 were the last games, *I love those games* everything was 3D, mega evolution was cool and everything just felt...... better so the pandering didn't matter to me nearly as much. Also, it helps that the next main series instalments weren't LITERALLY the same game with a slightly altered story.

If this thread were about Gen 6 as a whole I'd be complaining about the lack of a battle frontier and how it pretty much kills ORAS for me. We got a crappy copy past of the Miason with a slight *tease* / nod to the battle frontier and I'm supposed to be satisfied with that? Oy vey.

This isn't really a fault so much as a nagging feeling I've had for a little while now. It still isn't very clear what Mega Evolution is all about. We got some information then it was mostly dopped because of Team Flare shenanigans. We got a little more about it in oras but nothing really beyond that before it was dropped entirely for another random power up that we're probably not gonna get any clear information on. *Please don't let this be a trend -_-* I really hope we get a little bit more on Mega Evlution evenutally. Also, for goodness sake gives Dragonite a mega evolution. You give literally every other relevant gen 1 pokemon a mega evolution. Hell you give AUDINO a mega evolution but not the first Psuedo Legendary Pokemon. This isn't a fault, it's an injustice and I'll never not be mad about this.

Anyway, apart from all that, I actually like X and Y as a whole. They aren't amazing but for the first of their generation, they're actually pretty good. There are a few more things I could nitpick. The padding is haphazard, AZ feels a bit slapdashed, the low amount of new pokemon, the difficulty *The experience share's fault and my age more than anything else. Everything gets easier as you get older.* everything kind of feels like a step down from B2/W2 *To be fair every pokemon game in general is a step down from B2/W2* but like I said, it's just nitpicks. I enjoyed that there were so many pokemon to catch in the region even if there weren't many new ones. This was the first game to introduce customization that's really only getting better now. I actually really enjoyed the skates and I wish that was still an option. A few other things to but I think I've made my point. X / Y were good. I enjoyed them. They had problems but they weren't a mess like Gen 7. 7. 8 / 10 would play again.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Storm the Lycanroc said:
This game probably had the most forgettable characters. From the start all your neighbors are cliche and don't have much development. This was the start of the friendly rival trend and I'm tired of them saying "Oh gosh I've lost again. Maybe I'll do better next time."

I can't say that I liked any of them myself, and I think all of them minus the opposite gendered rival were pretty much useless and not much of a challenge.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
The rivals become a little more enjoyable when you realize you're the Green/Silver to their Red/Gold, coming along when they're struggling and breezing through the competition and becoming champion before they realize it

Really wish they'd introduced Title Defense in XY and kept it for ORAS and U/SM to encourage you to fight the E4 again

Status
Not open for further replies.