1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The faults of X and Y

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation VI Discussion' started by gentwoer, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Ignition

Ignition Why are the angry characters always the best ones?

I know it's easy to bash on this gen's faults, but even I must admit there's a lot:
    -Lack of difficulty
    -Small amounts of new Pokémon
    -Megas took over most of the focus
    -Everything from the Power Plant to Zygarde felt incomplete
    -Lacking story
    -Meh post game

2. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

I would've liked to see Zygarde's forms get their own game instead of being introduced in S/M, but at the same time, I tend to dislike blatant cash grabs. So X and Y not getting follow-ups may've been a good thing.

3. Storm the Lycanroc

Storm the Lycanroc Well-Known Member

I agree with what you're saying. Looking back on XY and ORAS as a whole I realize it wasn't the best generation. I hardly used Mega Evolutions to begin with so I think these games don't have much replayability.

4. Ignition

Such a shame to. I love Gen 6 but it's going to be known as the "could've been great" generation. As for the Megas, I didn't use one in any of my play troughs but I did in post game

5. DarkPoke001

DarkPoke001 Dark Pokémon Master

That's a shame, ORAS and Y are the games I keep going back to now (felt a little let down by Moon and not entirely sure some of the changes to game play of Gen VII will continue to the next generation)

I guess it's all a matter of opinion, Gen VI brought handheld pokemon into the fully 3D world and seeing Hoenn (my favourite region) in 3D will always give me nostalgia, and X and Y, were a major advancement on previous games in the series, whilst not perfect still pretty amazing

DuquÊ? likes this.
  6. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

X/Y being the first means that it was almost like a testing ground, but even knowing that I still find some of the X/Y graphics to be quite jarring during cut-scenes especially.

7. KyogreThunder

KyogreThunder Call of Fate

Kalos Route 1 was just pointless. I understand it has no wild Pokemon for story reasons, but they could have at least put an area accessible by Surfing (similiarly to Unova Route 1), rather than make an entire route empty.

Captain Jigglypuff likes this.
  8. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff

I’ve always thought the same.

9. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria 4th anniversary of ORAS, 16th anniversary of RS

Me too. It’s just that there’s nothing too much other than a straight path and there’s nothing interesting about it. It world be a lot better if it was the location of a hidden Mega Stone or even had a secret area full of powerful Pokémon.

10. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

I didn't think much of it, but I now feel like we should've at least met our rivals there. The whole place seems pointless and even its BGM is forgettable.

11. agent9149

agent9149 Active Member

It felt incomplete. Gamefreak obviously had huge plans for this game but stopped halfway and rushed to finish it. You can just tell there were part of the regions that were left out. You can tell they had bigger plot ideas that were left out and that it was rushed to finish.

I actually liked the idea of multiple rivals and I thought they could have done more with that but they didn't.

It had potential to be harder, with the inclusion mega evolution, you'd think more trainers would have mega evolutions?

Ducolamia likes this.
  12. Storm the Lycanroc

Storm the Lycanroc Well-Known Member

One other fault I feel XY has is it doesn't build up the importance of the cover legendaries. Sure there's a brief mention of them throughout the game but it doesn't do much to establish their presence.

DP had Team Galactic go out and capture the lake trio. And then actually summoning Dialga/Palkia to Spear Pillar. Then in Platinum Giratina appears and disrupts the ritual.

BW from the beginning states how important Reshiram and Zekrom are to the region snd mythology. Both representing truth and ideals which is further showcased by the people and locations of Unova. In order to fight N and Team Plasma you actually search for the other legendary. Which leads to an epic battle in N's Castle.

In XY the legendaries are just there in Lysanderes lab. Team Flare has captured a dormant Xerneas/Yveltal with no explanation as to how or where it was located.

Taodragon and Ducolamia like this.
  13. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria 4th anniversary of ORAS, 16th anniversary of RS

The layout of Santalune Forest is exactly the same as the layout of Viridian Forest. Anyone with experience with the RBY/FRLG games should not find Santalune Forest challenging to progress through. But anyway a more original layout for it would at least have the potential to add more variety to the gameplay experience.

14. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

Well Mega Evolution seemed like a rare effect in the X and Y games judging by the lore, so I get why few NPCs used Mega Pokemon.

15. The Teller

The Teller King of Half-Truths

As someone who liked XY (probably ranked 4th or 5th), I can say there were quite a few faults. The game was way too easy. I heard that not turning on the EXP. Share makes the game much harder, but then you have no way of training more than one Pokemon at a time beyond the ole switcharoo method or dumping something in the daycare (where you can't control EVs, moves learned or forgotten, and they can't be Amie-ed or have their friendship go up in case that's important). I found that simply battling every trainer was enough to keep me levels ahead of the curve, and I didn't have to do any wild battles at all if I didn't want to (I did, because it's a new Pokemon game and I actually care about filling up that Pokedex).

I did not like Tierno or Trevor at all. Tierno was pointless, you only battle him once, and I had a seeking suspicion that he was Japan's way of making a fat joke. At least Trevor had potential to be a Pokedex completion rival, but they didn't do anything with that either, and you also only battle him once (you battle both in a double battle, but it devalues a character when you can't fight them alone). Shauna wasn't that bad, and Calem/Serena were another generic friendly rival character. After just coming off of Gen V, where all the gym leaders had something to do outside their gym, going back to having gym leaders who live in their gym and only speak to you to battle was a huge letdown. As others have said, having an underdeveloped Champion like Diantha was pretty weak. They didn't really explain at all why she never tried to interfere with Team Flare once it became clear that they were an actual threat. And I specifically remember oneshotting her entire team the first time I went up against her. Even her Mega Gardevoir went down in one hit (cause of death: Poison Jab...by Hawlucha).

Time for an Unpopular Puffin Opinion: I never liked Mega Evolutions. What's the point of giving a Pokemon, especially one that's already evolved twice, an evolution, but only during battle? As people have said, XY were easy, so trying to make the game even easier via Mega Evolutions was pointless. Plus, I've always found that held items that restore health or boost attack stats were way better than holding an item that can only be used once per battle and don't actually do anything otherwise. Another thing other people have pointed out in the past: giving a Pokemon a Mega Evolution basically means that that Pokemon will never get a proper evolution (so sad, Absol fans), which is what I think fans wanted in the first place. (It doesn't really go here, but I also didn't like Z-moves either. Using up the item slot so that your Pokemon can fire one Hyper Beam per battle? In a game that's already ridiculously easy besides the Totem battles? What's the point?)

Route 1 was pointless. Zygarde was pointless. The amount of Gen 1 pandering was irritating. Only getting 69 new Pokemon on release date was bad.

As a reminder, this is the "faults of X and Y" thread. I have plenty to say about what I liked about XY. Maybe when I decide to stop being lazy, I'll get around to that. Like I said, I still consider at least 2 other sets of games worse than these, possibly 3.

16. Ignition

You battle them twice actually: you fight them on the bridge before going to Snowbelle City.

The Teller likes this.
  17. The Teller

The Teller King of Half-Truths

I looked it up. I actually remembered the bridge battle. I was forgetting battling Tierno on Route 5! But you still only battle Trevor by himself that one time on the bridge.

Ignition likes this.
  18. Ducolamia

Ducolamia SAYYYY WHAT???

I have plenty of issues with these games. X and Y are probably the first pokemon games to legitimately disappoint me. I didn't even have that many high hopes for the games to begin with and that's saying something. However I'm going to break it down in a couple of points the best I can.

1) The story is awful. After coming from the fantastic story of Gen 5 I was so upset to see how lazy this new story was. Plot details are forgotten and explained to you in one room in the Team Flare Hideout. They don't even tell you what the big plan is until the very end, leaving the entire Team Flare Arc with no stakes. Why should I care about Lysandre's plan when he basically has done nothing for the entire game? In previous gens we met with the new evil team by the first town. Here, you don't see team flare until near the second gym. That's too long without any sort of stakes.

Their motives don't even make any sense. They hijack a pokeball factory for what reason? At least in the older games they need pokemon or research to find the legendary pokemon. Here, it's just given to them. The legendary pokemon don't even have their own dungeon. Everything is just a mess. And don't get me started on how they treated AZ like an afterthought despite being the long-lost king of Kalos, no one bats and eye to him. How do you got to having such fine details in your story to just nothing making any sort of sense?

2) The characters are awful. Every character, minus, Looker and his story characters are awful in their own way. Professor Sycamore doesn't care that his best friend is trying to hurt people. He has no reaction to it. Diantha has no impact on the story and is a horrible champion with a pokemon team that makes Alder blush. Serena/Calum is a whiny crybaby who only gets worse the more you beat them. They attempt to have touching moments with Shuana, but it falls flat because she rarely appears in the story minus the rushed ending. Trevor and Tierno literally have their development given to you as secrets you can only find by talking to other useless NPCs. They're blander than toast. The gym leaders barely do anything and don't even talk to you after their respective role is done. Malva being a part of a villainous organization is literally NEVER MENTIONED AGAIN. It's just awful.

3)The Kanto Pandering. People can complain about Alola having some Kanto pandering, but it wasn't nearly as bad as it was here. You're given 2 mega evolutions of a Lucario and a Kanto starter of your choice early in the game. 3 if you count Charizard. The first forest is literally a Viridian Forest retread and most of generation one pokemon are given megas/are found in the wild, it's ridiculous. Having references is one thing. Having a copy-paste of a region is another.

4) The region is rushed. The pacing is so poor. The first part of the game is too long and the last part of the game is too short. It feels like they really wanted to make a bigger game, but realized halfway they couldn't so they had to scramble to figure out what to do. As a result, we have such a mess of a region. Which is a shame because I really like the transition of Spring to Summer to Fall and to Winter. But it's wasted.

5) The game is easy. Forget the EXP share. Masuda stated in an interview (I'll try to find a link when I can) that they purposely made the game easy to compete with a mobile market. This is so asinine and just shows a failure to understand the market that's being catered to. Pokemon games are already easy enough. This isn't necessary.

Zhydra and Minedreigon like this.
  19. KyogreThunder

KyogreThunder Call of Fate

It is a minor one, but there are no Fletchling horde encounters in X/Y, so getting a Gale Wings Talonflame is a pain.

20. Zhydra

Zhydra Master of Chaos!

1. Anime and Manga did the Team Flare plot better. (Especially the Manga!)
    2. I struggle to remember the characters. A downgrade in nearly every way.
    3. Your real starter doesn't show up until you get to the main city. Your going to forget all about the pokemon you brought with you before hand.
    4. Bare minimum region as a whole.
    5. The Elite 4 doesn't even have a full team. WTH?!

Ducolamia likes this.