• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The faults of X and Y

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
Apparently someone thought that the reason there wasn't a Z version because they wanted to do something for it's 20th anniversary and do it with a new Gen. Although I feel that's speculation on my friend's part.
It makes sense for them to want to cash in on a new generation for the 20th Anniversary.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Sonnas said:
Apparently someone thought that the reason there wasn't a Z version because they wanted to do something for it's 20th anniversary and do it with a new Gen. Although I feel that's speculation on my friend's part.

The 20th anniversary of the franchise was in 2016, but I don't see why we couldn't have gotten "Z version" in 2015 since no core games were released that year. I don't see what was stopping Game Freak from adding a couple of new gimmicks and features to X/Y and repackaging the games as "Z version" in 2015.

- Too easy
- The constant Kanto pandering
- The rivals/friends who are annoying
-The constant cut scene/friend/person interruption movie style
-Hardly a story. The game feels like various mini missions shoved into one game
-The dog mission. Waste of time chasing after a rich's man dog
-The limitation of items in the market each unlocking after certain gyms.

The games get easier by the year

i think people exaggerate the kanto pandering. only a few kanto pokemon received mega evolutions and other than that i didn't think kanto was represented in x/y as much as some people like to believe.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
i think people exaggerate the kanto pandering. only a few kanto pokemon received mega evolutions and other than that i didn't think kanto was represented in x/y as much as some people like to believe.
Compared to other regions, Kanto had a lot of Megas

There’s a ton of Kanto pandering: Snorlax, gift Lapras, Mewtwo, the gift starters, the first encounter is always a Pidgey, Santalune Forest is just a carbon copy of Virdian’s, & you’re much more likely to encounter Kanto Pokèmon than the at the time new Kalos Pokèmon. I do agree the complaints about Kanto pandering is more annoying than the actual pandering but it’s not like it isn’t there

Leonhart

Imagineer
RaymondCreek said:

It was mainly popular Gen I Pokemon like the fully-evolved Kanto Starters and Mewtwo that received Mega Evolutions though, so I can understand why some people would view that as nostalgia pandering given that it seemed like a deliberate attempt to appeal to Gen I fans.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
It was mainly popular Gen I Pokemon like the fully-evolved Kanto Starters and Mewtwo that received Mega Evolutions though, so I can understand why some people would view that as nostalgia pandering given that it seemed like a deliberate attempt to appeal to Gen I fans.
In fact, it was actually Gen III that got the most Megas, although that was justified because Ruby & Sapphire were remade in the gen that introduced Mega Evolution.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
Compared to other regions, Kanto had a lot of Megas

There’s a ton of Kanto pandering: Snorlax, gift Lapras, Mewtwo, the gift starters, the first encounter is always a Pidgey, Santalune Forest is just a carbon copy of Virdian’s, & you’re much more likely to encounter Kanto Pokèmon than the at the time new Kalos Pokèmon. I do agree the complaints about Kanto pandering is more annoying than the actual pandering but it’s not like it isn’t there
I've always thought the excessive Kanto pandering in X and Y was a response to the criticism of Black and White having no classic Pokemon until post-game. Game Freak probably realized that they went too far with one extreme and they decided to remedy it with the opposite extreme.

Lunalah

Easy Gyms. I know that sounds like a useless complaint but I think this was the first set of games where I felt that there was absolutely no difficult Gym at all and I swept every single Gym Leader with just one Pokemon.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Easy Gyms. I know that sounds like a useless complaint but I think this was the first set of games where I felt that there was absolutely no difficult Gym at all and I swept every single Gym Leader with just one Pokemon.
For me, Valerie was an absolute pain in the ***, and Grant is no better.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
The only Kalos Gyms I've ever really had issue with were Grant (and that's mostly because of Amaura and it's Thunder Wave trolling) and Clemont (mostly because I often struggle against the spawn of PokeSatan itself, Emolga). Korrina used to cause problems, but I worked out a solid strategy of sending in Golett and Shadow Punching her entire team to death. Golett vs. Hawlucha is pretty funny because all Hawlucha can do is use Hone Claws over and over again.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Lunalah said:

The Gyms were certainly easy, or at least I should say that seven out of the eight were. For some reason, I've always struggled a bit against Zakuro (Grant). I don't know if it's just bad luck or my team, but his two Fossil Pokemon irked me in both X and Y.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
The Gyms were certainly easy, or at least I should say that seven out of the eight were. For some reason, I've always struggled a bit against Zakuro (Grant). I don't know if it's just bad luck or my team, but his two Fossil Pokemon irked me in both X and Y.
From my experience, Grant is worse when you chose Chespin or Fennekin as your starter, if you chose Froakie, then Frogadier and its Water Pulse are pretty solid against him. There's that one trainer in the Gym with Lunatone and Solrock who does give me some problems too.

catzeye

Writer's Block
Oh boy where do I begin

1. Lack of Post-game: The Looker Quest was cool but I wanted a lot more.
  2. Bland Rivals: I have nothing against friendly rivals (like Wally, Bianca, Cheren), but there is a difference between being friendly with an interesting arc and being jsut bland. What ticked me off was that I was so hype for having a bunch of rivals and then nothing really coming of it.
  3. No Megas for Kalos Pokemon (bar Diancie): That made absolutely no sense honestly. I have honestly no idea why the Kalos Starters didn't get anything let alone much of the Kalos native Pokemon. It made NO sense that your first time mega-evolving was with a Lucario and not your own freaking starter.
  4. Kanto Pandering: I don't hate Kanto but...It made NO SENSE why you got a Kanto starter with a mega evo during the main storyline instead of post-game.
  5. Team Flare: To be fair they had it rough after coming after Team Plasma but still I really didn't like their doomsday plot. There was someone on youtube who made up a evil team that used the lore of Xerneas/Yveltal and AZ a lot better than what we actually got
  6. Lack of Zygarde development: Zygarde definitely had the potential to have a strong storyline a la Kyurem but they wasted which sucked personally because I really like Zygarde
  7. Lack of AZ development: Again, a lot of story potential there that was wasted.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
No Megas for Kalos Pokemon (bar Diancie): That made absolutely no sense honestly. I have honestly no idea why the Kalos Starters didn't get anything let alone much of the Kalos native Pokemon. It made NO sense that your first time mega-evolving was with a Lucario and not your own freaking starter.
I can sort of see why they went that route. At the point in the story where Mega Evolution is introduced, unless you did some intense level-grinding, chances are your Starter will still be in its middle stage (if you're even still using it), so to go through the tutorial and such with your Starter Mega evolving, they would probably have to push back the introduction to the end of mid-game or beginning of late-game. Plus it's nice to get a free Pokemon, even if I never actually used that Lucario on my team (Chesnaught and Pangoro are usually my go-to Fighting-types in Gen VI). However I do agree that the Starters should've had their own Megas, it would've made the Champion battle that little bit extra special if you sent out your Mega Greninja or Delphox against Audrey Hepburn's Mega Gardevoir.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
I can see all of your points (that I read), but in all honesty, XY was at an unfortunate time. The 3DS was more than two years old because they had stuck to a second release for Gen V on the monstrously popular DS, and so XY came along glorious but semi half baked. The “pandering” was necessary because it was moving to a new system off of a hohum Generation. Mix in wanting to do ORAS, the competition from Skylanders, Yokai Watch and other properties, GF was forced a hand. Don’t forget seeing 100% Zygarde in 2015 getting introduced for SM, Battle Bond Greninja too. Think about it: XY and are the ONLY Pokémon main games that do not have a third plus version, a dual released plus version. Gen VI has the remakes. Even the anime used the Z nomenclature for its development. So something logistically didn’t work out and now it’s our canonical history.

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
X and Y were good games because they finally allowed character customization, but the flaws outweighed the positives. Some of those flaws were the plot which was forgettable and even most of the characters suffered from that same problem because few of them were memorable.

I also didn't like that the Kalos region was so small compared to some of the past regions and the southern area should've been expanded.

Baggie_Saiyan

It's the first game where you received second set of starters, Kanto. They all 3 got Mega's in the same game Charizard (and Mewtwo) got 2 different ones. Also don't forget the Snorlax blocking a route. And then the Legendary birds.

Kanto pandering is definitely not exaggerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.