• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Fierce Pokébase Match! Aim for a Home Run to Turn the Tide!! (971)

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
In just about every possible regard, the JP version is an infuriating failure. I say this because despite the fact that I never saw this episode in Japanese in its entirety, I saw that "STRIKE" clip spammed everywhere on Twitter, which confirmed to me that the JP version can even fail at humor. And what a failure at humor it was. It's the absolute worst joke I've ever experienced in my life. Even when I quit watching it, I can't get the JP version out of my life, which is why I have no problems whatsoever laying into it. It hurts me, so I use Counter on it (there, I can make terrible puns, too, except I, like everyone not writing for the JP version, am better at it).

Of course, I never thought the dub could do anything with that...no, it doesn't deserve the honor of the j-word even in airquotes. But anyway, I was right; it became complete nonsense. But I'll take complete nonsense over the abomination against humor the JP version gave the world.

To be honest, that's all I think is worth saying about this episode because in general, it sucked. It was like watching an actual baseball game on TV: unengaging. I'll just stick to "The Sandlot", Disney's "Casey at the Bat" short, any LP of "Winnie the Pooh Home Run Derby", and other such stuff to satisfy any baseball fix. In fact, to quote the first of those: "You play ball like a GIRL!!!"

The absolute worst SM episode so far.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
In just about every possible regard, the JP version is an infuriating failure. I say this because despite the fact that I never saw this episode in Japanese in its entirety, I saw that "STRIKE" clip spammed everywhere on Twitter, which confirmed to me that the JP version can even fail at humor. And what a failure at humor it was. It's the absolute worst joke I've ever experienced in my life. Even when I quit watching it, I can't get the JP version out of my life, which is why I have no problems whatsoever laying into it. It hurts me, so I use Counter on it (there, I can make terrible puns, too, except I, like everyone not writing for the JP version, am better at it).

Of course, I never thought the dub could do anything with that...no, it doesn't deserve the honor of the j-word even in airquotes. But anyway, I was right; it became complete nonsense. But I'll take complete nonsense over the abomination against humor the JP version gave the world.

To be honest, that's all I think is worth saying about this episode because in general, it sucked. It was like watching an actual baseball game on TV: unengaging. I'll just stick to "The Sandlot", Disney's "Casey at the Bat" short, any LP of "Winnie the Pooh Home Run Derby", and other such stuff to satisfy any baseball fix. In fact, to quote the first of those: "You play ball like a GIRL!!!"

The absolute worst SM episode so far.

You seem to have forgotten the mess that was SM06. Plus, at least TRio managed to be entertaining here. And if you want an anime that does a baseball episode correctly, I'll point you to episode 12 of Assassination Classroom (and also the rest of the episodes, because it's a good series otherwise as well).

Ryu Taylor

You seem to have forgotten the mess that was SM06. Plus, at least TRio managed to be entertaining here. And if you want an anime that does a baseball episode correctly, I'll point you to episode 12 of Assassination Classroom (and also the rest of the episodes, because it's a good series otherwise as well).

I haven't forgotten that one. It's just that SM006 is now my personal second place for worst SM episode.

Thanks for the suggestion, but honestly, after the JP version of Pokemon let me down, it killed Japanese animation for me. I'll probably be over it sometime in the future, but for now, I'll stick to my own nation's animated works in addition to any Japanese franchises I'm already into.

I guess the Japanese league rules must be different, because in MLB what Turtonator did to Ash would have been illegal. The catcher isn't allowed to block home plate with his body when a baserunner is coming down the basepath towards home plate. Ash should have been awarded the run.

Just got confirmation from a Japanese friend of mine: that is indeed against NPB rules, too.

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Enjoyed this episode; it's one of my favorites so far in this series. Kiawe was hilarious and Lana was amazing hitting that home run. I also found the scene with Lillie being afraid of the ball funny as well.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I haven't forgotten that one. It's just that SM006 is now my personal second place for worst SM episode.

Thanks for the suggestion, but honestly, after the JP version of Pokemon let me down, it killed Japanese animation for me. I'll probably be over it sometime in the future, but for now, I'll stick to my own nation's animated works in addition to any Japanese franchises I'm already into.

Just got confirmation from a Japanese friend of mine: that is indeed against NPB rules, too.

I just can't see why anyone would dislike this episode, except for maybe the occasional extreme faces, but seeing as that's a continuing problem in SM, it shouldn't stand out in this episode. Ash acting hyper is jist him being himself and not taking everything super seriously. Him and baseball aren't a good match anyway, he's not exactly the most focused. Of course, I'm biased twice over because baseball is my favorite sport (aka the only one I actually enjoy watching) and Lana is my favorite character in SM.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
As I correctly predicted, the dub butchered this episode badly. Not just with the expected removal of all those Japanese graphics, but of course Samson Oak's pun becoming more cringy. This was without a doubt a SM episode that's only worth watching in Japanese, and shows just how much the dub sucks.

Ryu Taylor

As I correctly predicted, the dub butchered this episode badly. Not just with the expected removal of all those Japanese graphics, but of course Samson Oak's pun becoming more cringy. This was without a doubt a SM episode that's only worth watching in Japanese, and shows just how much the dub sucks.

Honestly, I don't think any language/version of this episode is worth watching, even though I am ecstatic that that "STRIKE" pun is gone.

But the dub's not lost me as a viewer over this. In this case, it's just a victim of an episode that was doomed from the start. It's not the dub that sucks (IMO); it's particular episodes (this one included) that do.

And speaking of it sucking, there's something else I need to address about it: the over-the-top JoJo-wannabe reaction faces from everyone. I was defending this saga's indulgence in that for a long time, but now, I've changed my mind. Now, the SM saga is good only when it isn't doing that nonsense.

Last edited:

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
And speaking of it sucking, there's something else I need to address about it: the over-the-top JoJo-wannabe reaction faces from everyone. I was defending this saga's indulgence in that for a long time, but now, I've changed my mind. Now, the SM saga is good only when it isn't doing that nonsense.

This is exactly why I have a massive disdain for Sun & Moon. The overuse of those faces is becoming way too much since it's taking away from the good moments, and it doesn't help a lot of other cartoons seem to be relying on these, such as Teen Titans Go! plus those two 2016 reboots of well-known CN shows that we shall never talk about.

There is a reason why SM is now worse than BW to me. Lack of battles and forced slapstick.

Vipsoccermaster

Really enjoyed the baseball episode, despite the flaws it may have. Loved how the characters reacted to each cause throughout the episode. Despite the annoying puns by Samson Oak and Oluolu, they were sort of good for this one episode. With the removal of the Japanese text as expected, if you have captions on, they still covered for the removal.

It was good to see Oluolu to have Snorlax pull off Pulverizing Pancake here. Snorlax can run really fast with that effect with you thinking it wouldn't be able to run at all, given its weight.

Ash, he is excited to try it out, but that's typical of him. Can't calm down.

Mallow, Sophocles, and Lillie were alright in the game, there isn't much out of the ordinary to say about them, although they did try to get the ball, but missed or were a bit scared and had their respective Pokémon cover for them (in Lillie's cse).

Poor Kiawe, he really wanted to win the game and beat Ash, but it just wasn't meant to be for him. He got embarrassed by Lana. Kiawe, you can't win with Lana. Fire doesn't do well with water. And speaking of water...

...Lana was awesome in the episode! She really enjoyed playing the game, belted a two-run homer with Popplio. Lana was a beast in baseball. Lana, again, is my favorite character in Sun & Moon, and her actions here were really enjoyable to watch.

But poor Popplio, wear a protective glove or mitten to protect your flipper, cause that really hurt. At least it made to first base safely.

And poor Jessie, not getting the autograph as Bewear snatched Team Rocket away the moment Jessie was going to take the autograph.

As Turtonator blocked Ash from getting to home plate against the rules in both Japan and North America, I don't know why the staff chose to screw the rules. Maybe they're playing by the Alola rules, not in the case of Japan or North America. Litten cuddling with the baseball and then got furious over it was funny.

Great filler episode for me, and I liked the characters reactions and comedic expressions here, especially Lana. She also creamed the game like it was nothing at all. Oh yeah, Oluolu and James broke the fourth wall in this episode.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Just saw this episode, and I was very annoyed with it. Honestly, I've never been one to dislike filler episodes before, but Sun and Moon is making me change my minds. This episode was perhaps one of the most pointless episodes in Pokémon's history. I just have no interest in watching the characters play baseball. The only thing that truly saved this episode was Team Rocket. I'll admit that hte second half was much better than the first, as Team Rocket made the whole baseball thing a bit more entertaining, but even they have their limits.

Though, I must admit, the first couple minutes of the episode had me very excited. We had a baseball-playing Electabuzz. There's no way this wasn't a reference to the Johto character Kassey and her obsession with the baseball team the Electabuzz. This probably was the Electabuzz, and that's just an amazing reference to make.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
I couldn't even watch this episode in English, let alone Japanese,since I found out that dub and TR in SM made SM a little better.
Firstly, this is pretty boring and uniteresting filler, no action, just funny-faces-comedy, which wasn't even funny.
Secondly, baseball is awful sport, I am saying this probaby because I am European and I grew up with soccer and basketball. Therefore this added to my annoyance in this episode.

Bortgreen, edgy action?Sorry, but edgy action is what keeps these fillers interesting from AG to XY.

Ryu Taylor

I couldn't even watch this episode in English, let alone Japanese,since I found out that dub and TR in SM made SM a little better.
Firstly, this is pretty boring and uniteresting filler, no action, just funny-faces-comedy, which wasn't even funny.
Secondly, baseball is awful sport, I am saying this probaby because I am European and I grew up with soccer and basketball. Therefore this added to my annoyance in this episode.

Bortgreen, edgy action?Sorry, but edgy action is what keeps these fillers interesting from AG to XY.

Just curious: if neither English nor Japanese, what language did you see this episode in?

I do agree, nonetheless; this episode sucked.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Just curious: if neither English nor Japanese, what language did you see this episode in?

I do agree, nonetheless; this episode sucked.

I tried watching it in English, but because how bad this episode was, I couldn't continue it.
BTW, I watched XY and BW episodes in Japanese; sub and English; dub. As of SM, I tried watching any episode in Japanese, but couldn't because of voices: they're more squeaky and annoying than BW and XY voices, while English dub is a little better in SM.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
I tried watching it in English, but because how bad this episode was, I couldn't continue it.
BTW, I watched XY and BW episodes in Japanese; sub and English; dub. As of SM, I tried watching any episode in Japanese, but couldn't because of voices: they're more squeaky and annoying than BW and XY voices, while English dub is a little better in SM.

Tbh, I do agree that the SM dub is one of the better ones compared to the previous seasons. Although I do prefer the Japanese sub overall due to the VA and soundtrack, I really don't like Sophocles, Lana and Meowth in the sub, while I prefer them in the dub. But anyway, majority of the SM episodes have been only one time watches, so once I'm done with the sub, I really don't bother watching them again in the dub.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I do applaud them for showing that a z-move's place isn't only on the battlefield and can have uses in other aspects of life, which is totally cool.

This reminds of those Watchy Watchog skits from the Generation V games where the hostess would say something like "Attract is a useful move for a first date" lol

I know it was just a coincidence, but I'm still calling that Electabuzz pitcher at the beginning of the episode a Casey reference

I 100% doubt it was just a coincidence

Ok, being the baseball fan that I am, I really enjoyed this episode! :D

Same!

✓ Has a 'cool' XY Ash avatar
✓ Dislikes most fun episodes
✓ Calls them filler to make itself feel better about its opinion
✓ And as a bonus it even gives an actual biased score to the episode

People's genders are available (for those who share it) on their profile pages. It's rather odd (and seems rude) to call a human being "it". Other than that though I mostly agree with what you said here. This was an amazing episode

I tolerate criticism, I don't tolerate pure hate.

You rant and rant about it day after day, post after post, not once saying a single positive thing about it. It is childish and unhealthy.

Don't you think it's ridiculous to continue posting about something you clearly don't watch, hate, only to ruin the fun for others?

Didn't you get the memo?

Criticism =/= hate. Of course you would defend a hater.

You're the only one who is spreading pure hate, and ruining the fun of others.

Moreover, even if you do think those such as OshyHikari and 345-ashgreninja are spreading pure hate, which I honestly don't see, at least it's less vile than your hatred: their "hate" is only of the show; your hate is of other forum members who are real people with feelings. Who cares about what they're doing compared to your rudeness to actual human beings? Please stop

I also noticed how Ash's team got one quick introduction shot, unlike how Kiawe's team got introductions for each member. What, is Ash's team that unimportant?

Ash's team was batting first, so they weren't standing at their defensive positions the way Kiawe's team was. There wasn't really a better way to do it

This is exactly why I have a massive disdain for Sun & Moon. The overuse of those faces is becoming way too much since it's taking away from the good moments, and it doesn't help a lot of other cartoons seem to be relying on these, such as Teen Titans Go! plus those two 2016 reboots of well-known CN shows that we shall never talk about.

There is a reason why SM is now worse than BW to me. Lack of battles and forced slapstick.

Totally agree about the JoJo faces. The one time I did find it funny though was when Alolan Detective Rotom called Kiawe the culprit.

I do like The Powerpuff Girls a lot and am very excited about the 75-minute special this weekend

Leonhart

Imagineer
Although I had expected this episode to be average at best, I was highly amused by the antics of Satoshi and his classmates during the Pokebase game, especially by all the dramatic facial expressions that we saw. I also enjoyed when Satoshi's Nyabby got frightened by the baseball. This was a hilarious episode.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Watched this episode in the Dutch dub now. It's pretty fun and I'm very impressed with how well they're handling Oak's pokémon puns in Dutch, they're probably better than in English. One thing that bugged me was that the translation team apparently didn't know what a pitcher was, they kept on calling the batter the pitcher in the episode. Christa Lips and Bianca Steenhagen, on the off chance you're reading this, just use the Dutch names for these terms, it's baseball. Just call them the "werper" and "degene aan slag". I love the translations you're doing usually, this was just a one-off that was really weird.

Last edited:
I loved this episode, all those puns were great. I can’t wait till Kanto Oak sees his cousin Alolan Oak.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
This episode is among my favorites in SM. I liked that everyone got their moments and spotlights, including Team Rocket. I felt bad to see Wobbuffet being flattened by Snorlax, and should be illegal irl baseball game to injure opponents, but I guess the writers wanted to show us Snorlax Z-move. Sure, there was also silly puns and expressions but they didn't bother me, and I only watched sub.