• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Fight Over the Crystal! Team Rocket VS Team Skull!! (968)

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Does Meowth know Bite? If so, then it can use Blackhole Eclipse.

I believe Meowth's moves are Scratch, Fury Swipes, Walk like Human, Talk like Human.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Staying true to the games is now bad lol. If Team Skull were competent I'd be pretty mad, that's most of the appeal gone if the grunts are not taking L's constantly.

It was a big flaw in the games. TS just was poorly handled, even as a plot device to hide the AF as the real villains. They did nothing and their behaviour and they never were a real threat in the games, which they sadly reflected in today's episode. Maybe they could improve them like they improved TF in XYZ?It wouldn't be as bad if they would push their or AF plans forward in the future more decently. That's my problem and what I am hoping right now, not for the writer to do the same flaws like in the games.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

It was a big flaw in the games. TS just was poorly handled, even as a plot device to hide the AF as the real villains. They did nothing and their behavior and they never were a real threat in the games, which they sadly reflected in today's episode. Maybe they could improve them like they improved TF in XYZ? It wouldn't be as bad if they would push their or AF plans forward in the future more decently. That's my problem and what I am hoping right now, not for the writer to do the same flaws like in the games.

The entire point of Team Skull is that they are a joke. No one in Alola takes them seriously. Half of your dialogue options in-game amount to crushing their self-esteem. That does not mean they were poorly handled. In fact, of all villain teams, Team Skull is probably right behind Team Plasma in being well-handled. Them being non-threatening is not a flaw, it's a feature.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
They did nothing and their behaviour and they never were a real threat in the games, which they sadly reflected in today's episode. Maybe they could improve them like they improved TF in XYZ?It wouldn't be as bad if they would push their or AF plans forward in the future more decently. That's my problem and what I am hoping right now, not for the writer to do the same flaws like in the games.
It being a flaw is subjective though, given that Team Skull were never meant to be more than failure trainers who turned into troublemaking rebels. Turning any of them aside from their leaders into remotely competent villains would undermine the whole point of them. While Team Flare's plan was marginally different in the anime, they were still essentially the same in their methods and goals (i.e. use the power of a Legendary pokemon to enact a worldwide genocide that would allow them to inherit the world).

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I won't deny that TR did technically earn it, but at the same time it makes me wonder why they had Kiawe bother with his speech about the importance of Z-moves back in episode 2 if evil people can use them. (Granted I can only imagine how he's going to react when he finds out given how he treats the aspect...)

Cause I have no doubt that when TR learns how to do it, if they can get a ring they'll probably try and spam the Z-move as much as possible.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Finally got to watch the episode. It was really entertaining with loads of good moments. Loved the TR vs TS rivalry, and the female grunt obsessing over meowth. TR really showed the closeness of the group and their care, as Jessie and James went to check on Meowth when he was severly injured. And seriously Mimikyu is too OP. And with the end shot on Bewear, I think that hints that it'll be the one to use the Z move.

Regarding Ash, although him learning the steel Z move could be foreshadowing something, there's no steel type trial or kahuna, since the steel Z crystal is given by Molayne. Who knows maybe Olivia might give it instead.

Overall I give the episode 8.5/10. It was very fun to watch, and although I personally don't really like TR having a Z crystal, the episode itself was very good. I did wonder though how come Jessie and James are so much taller than the Skull grunts. Are they that young?

And UltimateNinja, Team Skull is supposed to be a joke. They're a bunch of trial rejects with low self esteem formed by Guzma. Due to their stupidity and naivete, it was easier for Lusamine to take advantage of them as a cover for Aether Foundation. She paid them money while they stole pokemon for her.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Regarding Ash, although him learning the steel Z move could be foreshadowing something, there's no steel type trial or kahuna, since the steel Z crystal is given by Molayne. Who knows maybe Olivia might give it instead.

Since Ash already has the Electrium-Z, I suspect he might earn Steelium-Z from the Hokulani Observatory Trial instead, or he will earn it from Molayne (if Molayne himself does not preside over that Trial).

TheWanderingMist

Just found somewhere that let me see the ending part with Bewear. Haha, even Totem Raticate fear Bewear.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
There's really only been 1 Trial so far. And they usually follow the order from the games, so the Water Trial is probably still next.

My point is that as far as handing out Z-crystals they aren't following the games all that well. Darkinium Z is now apparently on Melemele Island behind a Totem Raticate, and Kiawe got his Firium Z from Olivia even though in the games she gives out Rockium Z. They also gave away Electrium Z instead of Fightium Z for defeating Hala (although Tapu Koko was the source of that, but the point still stands). I don't think we should be expecting the rest of the trials to suddenly start following the games flawlessly. And truth be told, I don't want them to. There are several Z-crystals which were just botched into the game without even a trial, like Flynium Z, Icium Z, Psychium Z, and some others, and I hope they do them at least a bit more justice in the anime.

TheWanderingMist

My point is that as far as handing out Z-crystals they aren't following the games all that well. Darkinium Z is now apparently on Melemele Island behind a Totem Raticate, and Kiawe got his Firium Z from Olivia even though in the games she gives out Rockium Z. They also gave away Electrium Z instead of Fightium Z for defeating Hala (although Tapu Koko was the source of that, but the point still stands). I don't think we should be expecting the rest of the trials to suddenly start following the games flawlessly. And truth be told, I don't want them to. There are several Z-crystals which were just botched into the game without even a trial, like Flynium Z, Icium Z, Psychium Z, and some others, and I hope they do them at least a bit more justice in the anime.

I'm pretty sure the Z-Crystals aren't exclusive to the islands on which they are found. They just didn't want the players to get more than one of every Z-Crystal or repeating Z-Crystals on different islands. Also, I was pretty sure Kiawe fought Olivia to prove himself worthy of his grandfather's Firum Z and Z-Ring.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!

That seems to be an exception. Kiawe battled Olivia to prove he was worthy of his grandfather's (a former Kahuna) Firium-Z and Z-Ring. We can't assume Olivia would have rewarded any other Island Challenger with anything other than Rockium-Z.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
That seems to be an exception. Kiawe battled Olivia to prove he was worthy of his grandfather's (a former Kahuna) Firium-Z and Z-Ring. We can't assume Olivia would have rewarded any other Island Challenger with anything other than Rockium-Z.

remember Hala had other Z-crystals in storage, Olivia could too.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
It amuses me how Mimikyu's Wood Hammer looks like a Ghost move because of the murky aura surrounding it... But I guess this thing is suppose to be seen as an equal to Pikachu considering both have defeated Totem Pokemon

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
remember Hala had other Z-crystals in storage, Olivia could too.

Kiawe explicitly stated his Firium-Z used to belong to his grandfather, who was a former Kahuna. IIRC, he also said he challenged Olivia's Grand Trial to prove he was worthy of his grandfather's Z-Crystal. Hala had other Z-Crystals in storage, but that could be because he fashions Z-Crystals into Z-Rings for new Island Challengers. That doesn't mean he gives out those Z-Crystals to Trainers who pass his Grand Trial.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
It makes me wonder though, since Mimikyu seems so strong that it defeated a totem really easily, it might be a totem pokemon itself.

TheWanderingMist

It makes me wonder though, since Mimikyu seems so strong that it defeated a totem really easily, it might be a totem pokemon itself.

Wouldn't it be bigger if it was Totem Mimikyu? Also, how is that gonna work when they get to the Abandoned Mega Mart?

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
It amuses me how Mimikyu's Wood Hammer looks like a Ghost move because of the murky aura surrounding it... But I guess this thing is suppose to be seen as an equal to Pikachu considering both have defeated Totem Pokemon

wtf that's wood hammer!? Man at least make it glow green.... does anyone know the reasoning why Mimikyu would have wood hammer in it's moveset? Idk why it's even in it's moveset in the games... lol. I always thought that was shadow claw but after some research I realize one uses the tail, the other a claw from beneath the sheet... weird still lol. Is mimikyu's tail supposed to be made out of wood or soemthing?