• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Fight Over the Crystal! Team Rocket VS Team Skull!! (968)

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Even if TR did get a Z-Ring, I'm sure Tapu Koko would immediately take it away from their hands. Don't those are given to people with good intentions?

Or the Dark Z Crystal breaks after it's first usage, but I don't know about that.

they could find a way around it, I mentioned this as an idea a while back, but if Tapu Koko doesn't let them have a proper Z-ring, they could send data of the Z-crystals back to their HQ and get sent "tech" based Z-rings(basically Z-rings that are machines) that allow them to use Z-moves without having to get a normal Z-ring, and you can't say it's out there since TR has been getting more tech from their HQ over the past few gens.

I still wonder how Kiawe's going to act when they next encounter TR, cause he's bound to go Inferno Overkill mode knowing that evil thieves have gotten their hands on a Z-crystal.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I'm not too surprised Mimikyu beat Raticate. Raticate was already weakened, Mimikyu has already been proven to be quite strong, it had the Disguise to absorb a hit, and it had a type advantage. Not sure if it used Wood Hammer or Shadow Claw before Play Rough, it knows both and it was coloured like Shadow Claw but drawn like Wood Hammer.
Mimikyu used Wood Hammer. At least, that's what James (or was it Jessie?) said it was.

Btw, on Meowth trying a Z move, isn't Meowth technically still a wild pokémon, as in, his own trainer? Maybe he could do a Z move this way, idk.
That actually brings up a good point. I thought it was pretty much implied, if not outright stated, that Z-moves can only be used when a Trainer and a Pokémon unite. But if a wild Pokémon wants to use a Z-move, does it need to partner up with a human to do so, or can it use the Z-move on its own?

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Yeah, or at least that's how far back one has to look. Could have used it earlier, but idk.

Apparently he knows Night Slash but it's too scary to use so...yeah. Continuity!

That's why Bulbapedia used the Normal type theme colouring instead of Dark type theme colouring as Bite was a Normal type move in Gen 1 lol.

Regarding Night Slash, yeah.... I hope continuity kicks in and Meowth get over its fear of using Night Slash. :p

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I guess so. He does know Night Slash as well, but well...he hasn't used it since the move looks too....scary. :D

Wait...since when has Meowth known Night Slash?

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Mimikyu used Wood Hammer. At least, that's what James (or was it Jessie?) said it was.

That actually brings up a good point. I thought it was pretty much implied, if not outright stated, that Z-moves can only be used when a Trainer and a Pokémon unite. But if a wild Pokémon wants to use a Z-move, does it need to partner up with a human to do so, or can it use the Z-move on its own?

im thinking it's just about bond. Doesn't matter if the pokemon you're teaming up with has a pokeball or not. I don't think there's be an off/on switch for z-move activation depending on if a pokemon has a pokeball to it or not. But that's my guess, and only because legendaries have z-moves to themselves. Now this is going on the basis that they dont screw with z-moves like they did megas and make it so mega stones don't apply to legendary pokemon (complete bs) but yeah lol.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
wtf that's wood hammer!? Man at least make it glow green.... does anyone know the reasoning why Mimikyu would have wood hammer in it's moveset?
The same reason Komala can learn Wood Hammer. Neither it nor Mimikyu have any plant-based body parts, but they carry wooden objects that they can use as a medium for the attack (in Mimikyu's case the branch that it carves into the shape of a Pikachu tail).

Much like Mega Evolution, the idea behind Z-moves is two separate beings (the trainer and the pokemon) combining their power to produce a greater power, and thus functionally they can't be done alone. Of course the anime broke rule with mega evolution a couple times, but that was just so they could show off the mega forms of legendary pokemon that rarely ever have trainers in the anime.

So at most I expect the only solo Z-moves we will ever see will be Legendary-specific ones.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Mimikyu too OP. Pls nerf.
This thing is a beast man. TRio putting in work and getting results fairly I like.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
HA! This series is definitely the best thing that ever happened for the TRio.
I hope they get a proper z-ring in the future..... and for the last freaking time the TRio aren't evil, they're GOOD guys. It'd only break if Giovanni tried to use it.
Hopefully the Water trial comes soon so that's out of the way and the Fire and Grass stones will be closer.
10/10

DatsRight

I think Meowth last used Bite in the Orange Islands episode he and James fought Misty for the medicinal herb. He went nuts on Psyduck (namely its forehead), with the expected results. Seasons after seem to go with the implication that Meowth is limited to Fury Swipes however (except that one reference to him trying to master Night Slash).

It would be a neat arc if they had Meowth use the Z Moves to be an effective battler for once. The recent SM episodes seem to playing Meowth a lot more as an active battler (if not a particularly effective one), it's like they're setting up for something.

If Meowth learned Night Slash to utilise Darkium Z that would be a two for one bonus too.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I hope they get a proper z-ring in the future..... and for the last freaking time the TRio aren't evil, they're GOOD guys. It'd only break if Giovanni tried to use it.
Hopefully the Water trial comes soon so that's out of the way and the Fire and Grass stones will be closer.
10/10
As far as we know crystals don't break due to the user being evil, so much as not yet ready/qualified. Bad guys like Lysandre were able to use Mega Evolution, there's no reason that a qualified villain couldn't use a Z-move (though of course getting qualified would be more difficult for such a person).

Janovy

Banned
Team Rocket has an actual storyline in this series, love it.

DatsRight

Impressive episode. I'm loving Team Rocket limelight episodes this series, having Team Skull get some individual focus works great too (the female grunt really loves Meowth).

Kukui is actually shown TEACHING in school. Love Rotom being an assistant of sorts too. A bit of hype bait with the students wanting to try out the Z Moves (I didn't notice Lillie practicing though). Another retro remix with Kalos Route 4 theme. I would have loved the original Rocket-dan Danka during the climax, though at least the Alola version is heard.

Love TR using their base for mission agenda and James drill instructing the Pokemon. Meowth's fantasy using Z Moves to blast off Ash and Pikachu was funny too.

Interesting that Mimikyu seems to be slowly becoming more obedient towards Jessie. Either it's gaining a bond or it didn't consider Shiron a worthy target. Shame Wobbuffet disappeared the whole climax though, when is this series gonna have him in action anyway?

A lot of cute villainous valour this episode. TR use a genuinely decent strategy, and even abort the mission when some of their comrades come into danger. Skull make amusing rivals since they're a villain team on the Trio's level this time (maybe lower), and the two sides going in and out with teaming up or trying to double cross each other, albeit with neither of them quite having all the cards. Really hope we see more of this throughout the series. I like rivalries where both sides are actually evenly comical and fallible, they're so rare compared to one sided ones. And it makes it more suspenseful due to not knowing who might win. Even just the idea of TR legitimately rivalling the cast in the hunt for Z Crystals would be fun.

TR get Darkium Z....but can't use it without the ring. Hope they get hold of one, it would feel in character for it to be all a shaggy dog story where they repeatedly fail the whole series (or lose the crystal as soon as they finally get one) but come on, let them level grind just once. Check out those poses at the end, they HAVE to try the Z Moves now.

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
im thinking it's just about bond. Doesn't matter if the pokemon you're teaming up with has a pokeball or not. I don't think there's be an off/on switch for z-move activation depending on if a pokemon has a pokeball to it or not. But that's my guess, and only because legendaries have z-moves to themselves. Now this is going on the basis that they dont screw with z-moves like they did megas and make it so mega stones don't apply to legendary pokemon (complete bs) but yeah lol.

I was thinking that too at first, but there's no denying that pokéballs do work differently on wild pokémon compared to trainer-owned pokémon, the pokéball can immediately recognise the difference. And pokémon also obey whoever catches them (at least most of the time), even if they don't really know that trainer at all. That suggests that the pokéballs themselves also create some sort of loyalty and bond already between the trainer and pokémon.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
It was a big flaw in the games. TS just was poorly handled, even as a plot device to hide the AF as the real villains. They did nothing and their behaviour and they never were a real threat in the games, which they sadly reflected in today's episode. Maybe they could improve them like they improved TF in XYZ?It wouldn't be as bad if they would push their or AF plans forward in the future more decently. That's my problem and what I am hoping right now, not for the writer to do the same flaws like in the games.

The whole point of Team Skull was that they're the deconstruction of the "to be a master" plot. They failed their trials and were mere nuisances rather than real threats. They're also a throw back to Team Rocket, being in it for the money. I liked how they put the motives of Team Rocket and the motives (greed) of all other teams after Gen 2 (Legendary pokemon) in the same game.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I was thinking that too at first, but there's no denying that pokéballs do work differently on wild pokémon compared to trainer-owned pokémon, the pokéball can immediately recognize the difference. And pokémon also obey whoever catches them (at least most of the time), even if they don't really know that trainer at all. That suggests that the pokéballs themselves also create some sort of loyalty and bond already between the trainer and pokémon.
In the lore of the games at least the balls themselves don't matter, its just that to the pokemon the act of being caught equates to them recognizing the trainer is worthy of being obeyed. Pokemon attacking trainers in tall grass is likewise equated to them testing if the trainer is worthy of commanding them.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
10/10

didn't one of the summaries confirm that "they walk the path of "evil.""?

I won't deny they earned it, but i'd still prefer them use pseudo made rings instead of the real ones, assuming they don't break the Z crystal or Tapu Koko takes it from them.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
i find it hilarious that it took an intense battle for pikachu and rowlet to defeat totem gumshoos, but mimikyu beat the crap out of totem raticate in 5 seconds. (play rough ftw!)

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
i find it hilarious that it took an intense battle for pikachu and rowlet to defeat totem gumshoos, but mimikyu beat the crap out of totem raticate in 5 seconds. (play rough ftw!)
Well Totem Raticate had taken a fair bit of damage already from other attacks. I'm curious how hurt Mimikyu would have been if it got hit after Disguise was broken. Regardless it is clearly a powerful pokemon.