• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Finals! The Ultimate Rival Showdown!! (1081)

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Can we just agree these writers are incredibly lucky to even make an anime that goes out of its way to make its main protagonist come up short so many times. That's an easier - if bizarre - reality than just hopelessly wishing them to understand we want this damn kid to win it big for once.

In my point of view, Ash should win this league...just to be good enough to finish on Top 4 of any other league...or Top 8, really. If he loses, it's just like him losing on Top 16 due to no real 6-on-6, and he only had 2 real battles counting Gladion's (YMMV on Hau's and Guzma's being a complete one battle).

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
Funny I don't really have anything bad too say about this episode.

Besides if I did I got a feeling you guys beat me to it

Melmetal losing to Silvally was justified since its technically still new on top of Ash being poor at handling slow Pokemon.

The fact it lasted as long as it did was impressive, I hate Pikachu but its victory over Silvally was justified since Melmetal weakened it.

I still hope Gladion wins, purely because I like him better than Ash.

Even though I know it isn't going to happen I hope they let Ash keep Melmetal because the whole "Ash isn't allowed to permanently own special Pokemon" rule has gotten old and no longer feels justified since he always dumps his Pokemon at Oak's lab anyway and almost never calls on them.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
How the heck are you supposed to hit anything with Double Iron Bash if it takes twice as long as a Z-Move to trigger?

Silvally could've just kept using Air Slash and defeated it easily instead of constantly jumping into the air where it can't maneuver with its claw attacks

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
Melmetal's arms can stretch, so the move isn't easy to dodge on the ground. The only way to get a good hit in is to jump in the air or go underground. Jumping in the air leaves the Pokemon vulnerable to the second hit or Flash Cannon.

Silvally did end up spamming Air Slash, but Melmetal was able to tank the hits and land another blow.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Not a bad battle but I gotta echo Double Iron Bash was painfully dragged out which certainly suits its large, tanky body but it could get exhausting to watch. I liked how Melmetal fought by stretching its arms which made Silvuddy unable to evade properly. It was really cool to see Satoshi so excited and fired up over having a powerhouse like that at his disposal. Didn’t really have to rely on much strategy, also glad Meltan kept its super broken Flash Cannon.

Once Pikachu came out we were back to business with Satoshi working with the lighting-bruiser Pokemon he’s the best with. He was much more calm and in control of things, also excellent portrayal of Silvuddy status as an Arceus-clone with Sauboh bragging on it as well as the fact it can keep up with Pikachu using Quick Attack. It’s literally a chimera meant to slaughter UBs. Also Zoroark’s act as Lugarugan, that trickster-esque expression was great. Pikachu’s stealth Thunderbolt too.

MultiSonicBlast

Just a couple of points I want to bring up with this battle:

1) Melmetal did good. I think people were upset that Ash was getting a Mythical Pokemon who might've ended up being a deus ex machina, but that wasn't the case at all. But people still seem upset about it, go figure. Remember, Melmetal vs. Silvally was down to the wire (one more Iron Tail from Pika was all it took to bring the UB Killer down), Metlmetal just recently evolved, and the battle showed it has very expoitable weak points that an experienced trainer like Gladion picked on quickly and effectively. I'm ok with this; it means Ash is gonna have to win this the ol' fashioned way, by outbattling Gladion. And as of where the battle left off, they're both very evenly matched.

2) As far as the league itself compared to other leagues and being less challenging, less legit, or less of an accomplishment to win, there's one thing to keep in mind; the Island Challenge. The league wasn't restricted to only people who had completed the Island Challenge. Yet the main underlying arc of this entire series was paced around not the league, but the Island Challenge which TWO people completed. And guess what, the league has come down to those SAME TWO people. What do you know, the Island Challenge actually merits something. And not just for Ash and Gladion. For Ash's classmates, who became stronger, accomplished goals of their own, and now have a better idea of what they want to do moving forward. For Kukui and the Kahunas, who worked hard to preserve Alola's cherished traditions and reinforce them through competition and are now seeing the fruits of those labors. Heck, Guzma who was so sure he'd destroy the league didn't even make the finals. He finally learned to face challenges head on and learn from failure from the one trainer who does that better than anyone. And was it a walk in the park for the two finalists? No. Ash's path was a hard one obviously, and Gladion, despite cruising through most of the league, was given a competent test by Kiawe. Would it have been different if other trainers completed the Island Challenge and entered the league? Yes. Competition would've been much more heated. But even if that was the case, it still might've come down to the two of them all the same. In the other leagues, Ash is usually facing someone of Gladion's caliber in the very late stages anyhow. And if Ash wins, he technically still has another upcoming battle to think about.

3) The final battle didn't feel that tense--yet. However, I'm sure that'll pick up next episode. This partly goes to back to trainer dynamics. Ash and Gladion had a rough start due to Gladion's distant nature and everything that happened with his family in the past. But Ash was a big help in getting Gladion and his family in a good place again, and I'd even argue that Gladion and Lillie finding out that their father is alive was in part because of Ash. Not to mention the different stages between all this happening when Ash and Gladion battled each other also probably gave them a chance to understand each other better. With a dyanmic like that, their battle wouldn't have immediate tension because they have a respectful and amicable relationship with each other. As the battle gets more down to the wire, I'm sure that'll change. There is a lot at stake for both of them; for Gladion it's becoming stronger to find his father and make his once-broken family finally whole and happy again, and for Ash it's finally winning a regional league after ****countless**** defeats and moving within earshot of his ultimate goal of 'Pokemon Master.'

Just my two cents.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
SM has defied the odds and been surprisingly crafty about this, what with the league's more divergent setup, the established prize at hand that almost feels tailor made for Ash, and managing to set up the final opposition as competent but still defeatable, plus SM's general tendency to break formulas.

Though right now I think it's pretty accurate to suggest no one is banking on Ash winning anymore. The pattern is just too obvious by now, to the point it's established that the writers have actively been trying to make 'dream crusher' scenarios that the audience won't despise. It's all the more reason to think Gladion might win, since he is quite popular and doesn't have the same invincible streak Alain or Tobias had. Many fans could accept him winning.

You know as well as I that this statement is not true; not in slightest. And you know that there are bigger opponents for Ash to face that are greater than Gladion. Did Ash lose to Paul in spite of the presence of Tobias and his Darkrai?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
You know as well as I that this statement is not true; not in slightest. And you know that there are bigger opponents for Ash to face that are greater than Gladion. Did Ash lose to Paul in spite of the presence of Tobias and his Darkrai?
Paul is too much of a villain, he doesn't have the karma points to defeat Ash at a league.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
I saw a video of someone trying to upload clips of this battle to YouTube, and to avoid the removal algorithm they sped up the audio.

What I realized from this is that Kenta Miyake is still voicing Melmetal, but the only modification done to the sound is to slow down Miyake's regular voice. That has the effect of lowering the pitch. Without modification, Melmetal sounds like Darkrai. Meltan's voice goes through much more processing than simply speeding it up.

DatsRight

In hindsight Ash spamming Double Iron Bash made sense largely because he was excited about having a unique Pokemon with a newly discovered move. Plus the narrative made perfectly clear that Melmetal really just had to land a handful of those and Silvally would be a pancake. While it didn't make for extremely tense battling for the finals, it did make sense for Ash to try and take advantage of this unique weapon he had. That and SM is really fond of the 'brains vs brawn' scenarios.

Seeing him mimic Melmetal to gesture the attack was admittedly cute. I kinda like his pantomiming towards each of his team in SM.

p96822

Evolve me please
In hindsight Ash spamming Double Iron Bash made sense largely because he was excited about having a unique Pokemon with a newly discovered move. Plus the narrative made perfectly clear that Melmetal really just had to land a handful of those and Silvally would be a pancake. While it didn't make for extremely tense battling for the finals, it did make sense for Ash to try and take advantage of this unique weapon he had. That and SM is really fond of the 'brains vs brawn' scenarios.

Seeing him mimic Melmetal to gesture the attack was admittedly cute. I kinda like his pantomiming towards each of his team in SM.

Really I think Ash didn't use Melmetal to it's full power. It felt like Ash had no idea of how to use Melmetal at all. With Ash's Kalos team when they were in the finals had more creative way of Ash using them. Melmetal is not creative at all. It's just spamming it and doing nothing else. I found Ash using Melmetal to be boring

XanderCage

Loose Cannon Cop
Really I think Ash didn't use Melmetal to it's full power. It felt like Ash had no idea of how to use Melmetal at all. With Ash's Kalos team when they were in the finals had more creative way of Ash using them. Melmetal is not creative at all. It's just spamming it and doing nothing else. I found Ash using Melmetal to be boring

That kind of makes sense in a realistic view. Meltan had just evolved into a newly discovered pokemon with a brand new move with a bulk that Ash isn't quite used to using. He saw Melmetal as a secret weapon and hoped to catch Gladion off guard. Which he did with his first Double Iron Bash. It was doing a lot of damage too. But that strategy could only work for so long and the inexperience between the pokemon and trainer showed especially with that last Flash Cannon. Melmetal was exhausted most likely because of the spamming and the lack of significant training time with Ash.

Red and Blue

I'd say Melmetal did very well all things considered. It played a hand in getting Sivally out of the way so Pikachu and Lycanroc have an easier time. I'd only say it got screwed if it doesnt get a win against Kukui

DatsRight

I'd say Melmetal did very well all things considered. It played a hand in getting Sivally out of the way so Pikachu and Lycanroc have an easier time. I'd only say it got screwed if it doesnt get a win against Kukui

Melmetal at the very least won round 2 for Ash as Meltan. Sure it was a gag battle, but it won legit. Only Lycanroc has yet to pull his weight in the league, largely because he hasn't been used until this match.

I admit I would like to see Ash overcome the tank weakness and win with one of his slower Pokemon for once.

So much for me thinking Ash would abuse Gladion's free disc changing to force Silvally to be weak against a move. Instead, a Mythical got screwed. Then again, SM Ash's intelligence fluctuates.

Well if Melmetal beat Silvally, a Mythical would still have got screwed. They couldn't really win there.