• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The First Pokemon you Ever Caught+Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klozo

The Voyager
Rattata in Blue. Good, old, innocent times... I remember my confusion when I couldn't figure out how to catch Pokemon. It was somewhere mid-2000, and I was only just starting to understand the games (and English itself too), so you can imagine what was happening inside my poor, then-8-year-old brain... and then I remembered, the building in which I got the item for Oak kinda resembled a shop. I got inside. And guess what? It WAS a shop! I freaked out when I saw the prices, but then noticed I had 3000 of the Poke-currency, so I figured it wasn't THAT bad. I bought some Pokeballs. I got into the tall grass between Pallet and Viridian. I commanded my Squirtle, appropriately named Bubble, to attack the Pidgey who volunteered to be my guinea pig. It fainted and the battle ended. "Ended? What d'ya mean, ENDED?! Ash always catches Pokemon when they faint!". Bemused, I went into another one. I started considering the battle options. "FIGHT" was for attacking, I knew as much. I tried Pkmn. Pokeball, Pokemon - there just HAD to be some analogy. It only showed Bubble. Frustrated as I was, I fainted another one. And one after that. And then another. And then I calmed down and noticed there were 2 other options - ITEM and RUN. From the poorly translated manual (Polish players will know what I mean) I knew that "RUN" lost you the battle - or so I thought until I realized this only applied to link battles. So I hit "ITEM". And that worked like a charm. There they were, my Pokeballs I spent about half my allowance on about 30 minutes before. Intuitively, I hit A. And then I hit A again. And then, a spherical object erupted from behind Bubble and swallowed the Pokemon. Surprisingly enough, it stayed put despite not being weakened at all.

"Congratulations! It's a Rattata!"

...or something along these lines, anyway. Then I got myself a Pidgey, then a Rattata of a higher level. And then I got into Viridian Forest, where I ultimately realized Rattata sucked altogether. Thus, I continued onwards, searching for and exit and making my Bubble a proud Wartortle in the process. But that's another story...

Last edited:

Firebrand

Indomitable
My starting Charmander in Red caught my first Pidgey... and then when I got Firered, in homage, my first capture then was using my Charmander to catch a pidgey. Ah, nostalgia.

Celes

Coolest Haxer Around
I think mine was Pikachu in Pokemon Blue.

PsiOmega

An old soul
My Treecko caught me a Nincada... blossoming a love for my favorite Bug type.

Arbok4Ever

Not sure, but I think it was a Geodude or something in Pokémon Crystal. Don't know, could be a Sentret or something.

Kurloz Makara

Red Death
Pidgey for Blue/LeafGreen
Sentret for Gold/HeartGold
Poochyena for Ruby
Bidoof for Pearl/Platinum
Lillipup for White
Purrloin for Black

That is all. :3

Schade

Metallic Wonder
I caught a Lilipup in my Black-version. Used her for about... Nah, I never used her

Bulba the Great!

We Do Not Sow
Mine is actually a unique story - I wasn't allowed a gameboy for a long time when I was in elementary school. I wanted more than anything to get one solely so I could play this Pokemon game all my friends were talking about, but my parents wouldn't cave in. So I would rebel by sleeping over a friend of mine's house every night and playing his Pokemon Gold game. He had already beaten the Johto side, so I had to pretend I was a starting trainer. The first Pokemon I captured in his game was a Nidoran M. I didn't know back then that you needed a Moon Stone to get a Nidoking, so I must've had the world's strongest Nidorino because I grilled the crap outta that guy. To this day, every time I see the chance to catch a wild Nidorino I do, and in my fanfic it belonged to one of my main characters due to that nostalgia. I loved Nidorino.

When I finally got my own Gameboy, it came with a used Silver game. I wasn't aware you could restart games, so I was stuck playing post-game with a team consisting of a Meganium and the Red Gyarados.

So my first TRUE capture was a Taillow in my Sapphire game, years after my 'first' Pokemon.

RiotFire

Metapod in Red

After the initial fetch-quest I couldn't stand the sight of another pidgey or rattata!
Thought I was being cool catching an evolved pokemon... until I realised all it knew was 'harden' >_<

3D992

The Living Hologram
Mine is actually a unique story - I wasn't allowed a gameboy for a long time when I was in elementary school. I wanted more than anything to get one solely so I could play this Pokemon game all my friends were talking about, but my parents wouldn't cave in. So I would rebel by sleeping over a friend of mine's house every night and playing his Pokemon Gold game. He had already beaten the Johto side, so I had to pretend I was a starting trainer. The first Pokemon I captured in his game was a Nidoran M. I didn't know back then that you needed a Moon Stone to get a Nidoking, so I must've had the world's strongest Nidorino because I grilled the crap outta that guy. To this day, every time I see the chance to catch a wild Nidorino I do, and in my fanfic it belonged to one of my main characters due to that nostalgia. I loved Nidorino.

When I finally got my own Gameboy, it came with a used Silver game. I wasn't aware you could restart games, so I was stuck playing post-game with a team consisting of a Meganium and the Red Gyarados.

So my first TRUE capture was a Taillow in my Sapphire game, years after my 'first' Pokemon.

Thats sad you couldnt trade the Nidorino over to your silver...

Owl

G-Rank Hunter
Hoothoot! I thought it was rare because I didn't know the pokemon changed at night in silver! :D It was awesome!

h3llsing3r007

The Ravager
Pidgey (firered) was definitely my first pokemon that I caught.

Last edited:
It was Pidgey on LeafGreen.

Sam2010

Cheers
Pokemon Red: Pidgey
Pokemon Gold: Hoothoot
Pokemon FireRed: Spearow
Pokemon Emerald: Taillow
Pokemon Platinum: Shinx or Starly
Pokemon HeartGold: Hoothoot
Pokemon White: Blitzle

Status