• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The First Visit to the Unova Region! Raid Battle at the Ruins!! (1103)

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Despite Go's ongoing capture frenzy, I did like he put some efforts to fight his later captures.

I found Golurk flicking Scorbunny and uppercutting Pikachu hilarious as it reminded me who between the 2 defeated Pokemons the former put more effort into.

I thought the episode having 3 COTDs inside a desert temple full of traps and puzzles is a bit much but I guess it is justified for making an interesting Golurk raid. They looked like typical Pokemon ranger/explorer/geek trio to me.

Also Dragonite sure likes to hug everyone. I think it would backfire when it meets an evil character than can outsmart it without revealing his/her evil intentions.

Oh yeah, Ash is dumb but I like it more than when he's too good and serious, which is overdone that I just don't care.

Anyways, good episode. I like when Go is more active.

Last edited:

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
Best parts of the episode are the Shiny Hunter, who I hopes returns, and Darmanitan (definitely top 5 Unova Pokemon).
All the raid companions were great(and so were their design), they deserved to have the SM treatment and reappear occasionally

Also Dragonite sure likes to hug everyone. I think it would backfire when it meets an evil character than can outsmart it without revealing his/her evil intentions.
Just wait for when he decides to hug Gengar
Cursed Body, you know

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
>Scorbunny steps in the desert thinking it won't get its feet scorched on the account of being a fire-type
>RIP

*Pikachu uses Thunderbolt on Sandile*
Me: I can hear Iris saying "You're such a little kid". Of course I shouldn't be surprised that landing in Unova resets what Ash/Pikachu know about Unova mons, ya know 'cuz Unova. Also Ash confirmed deaf as he commanded Pikachu to use Thunderbolt on Golurk after Go's pokedex said what type it was.

Scorbunny blowing a raspberry when Go mentioned Cofagrigus' type was amusing.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
AznKei said:
I found Golurk flicking Scorbunny and uppercutting Pikachu hilarious as it reminded me who between the 2 defeated Pokemons the former put more effort into.

I was actually surprised that Pikachu got knocked out so easily. It wasn't very smart of Satoshi to use an Electric-type against a Ground-type for starters, but even so I thought Pikachu would've done more damage even with just Iron Tail. Hibanny's loss was expected, although I did cringe when he hit the stone wall.

CupidKirby

Dragonite was the highlight of the episode for me. She (and she will remain a female in my head until proven otherwise) was adorable indeed. It's nice to see another fully evolved powerhouse with a personality. But dang, did TPCi really give her Dragon Dance, Hurricane, and Dragon Claw? That's a powerful set right there. I'm glad that despite Ash's "I forgot Golurk was ground type" flub that we aren't going back to BW days where all of the best moves get replaced with crappy ones. But you can't really blame Ash for not remembering over 800 different Pokemon's types anyway.

Also, I'd love it if the Psyduck guy became a recurring character. A dude who only catches shiny Pokemon and has almost none. I can relate.

No, its not about stealing because I wouldn't be able to believe Ash getting a Golurk that size, it's about screwing Ash completely over, and then following it up with a MAJOR Go episode. Like the Cubone episode could've maybe been after the Gengar episode at least.

Ash isn't getting screwed over, at least not anymore than he usually does :D Actually, this season has been pretty good to him. I'd argue it's been even better to him than a lot of other seasons. Remember Charizard trading Steel Wing for Wing Attack? Or Tobias? Or losing Pigeot as soon as the bird evolved? Or Gible never evolving? Or Ash not being able to keep Goodra? Or the fact that the writers hadn't been allowing him to move on from the badge quest until now? It's just that because Gou's there next to him who catches everything, we're forced into comparing the two of them.

Last edited:

Cradily17

This was a good episode. I liked the Indiana Jones references, and the raid battle was great as well. I wasn't expecting Go to catch Golurk, but that's alright. Ash just got a Dragonite and he'll have plenty of opportunities to catch more strong Pokemon in the future. If Ash does indeed catch Gengar later, I hope the next Pokemon he gets is something not from Kanto. I know they're the most popular, but still...

Last edited:

dman_dustin

I'm actually glad they made Ash be all "Oh sh- I forgot" when it came to Pikachu using electric moves on ground types because tbh, after seeing the series try to justify it with OS logic with the water in SM (Not even a legit soak attack to make it make sense which is double bullshit), I much rather they stick with the actual type rules. Plus I wonder if since Mudsdale Ash forgot Electric don't work with ground.
TBH it's so common to see the guy use wrong type matchups many times (Like in XY(Z) for instance) I wouldn't be surprised if they legit slipped his mind to the point he needed to be reminded every now and then how it works when it doesn't do jack against those he fights ala Electric on Ground.

Plus did he command Pikachu to do it? I've been seeing folks say he didn't and that's why that messup is there. But I haven't watched the episode to see myself (Unfortunately I haven't had interest to catch up since I think the 7th episode of this series, sadly because Go got pretty boring to me x.x)

Pikachu on its own used Thunderbolt on Sandile, Ash himself explained to Pikachu that electric types won't work on Sandile (because of its ground typing).

Ash actually calls out Pikachu to use thunderbolt ON Golurk, and then Go said to Ash something like "electric types aren't going to work just like how they didn't work on Sandile"

This all happened within the SAME episode.

I could understand, Ash being eager to fight Golurk, has a brain fart because Hapu's Golurk doesn't exist in his brain and how that fight went down. But how in the hell can anyone justify Ash KNOWING electric types won't work on Ground types but then suddenly forgets hey electric types aren't going to work.

I could maybe see an argument about Ash not knowing Golurk was a ground type (or rather forgetting), but I literally do not see how for various reasons:

1. Hapu's Golurk, Ash didn't command electric type attacks, and he only called out quick attack for strategy purposes rather than to attack. But sure Hapu doesn't exist at the moment.
2. Go's smart phone literally said it was a ground type. Am I also to believe that Ash just didn't hear the smartphone because of "plot reasons"
3. Ash did seem to possess some familiarity with Golurk, it's not like he went "What's a Golurk?" at all. Sure he didn't call it out, but its not like was lost, like he has been for Pokemon he doesn't know.

I mean the whole thing was Scorbunny seemed to be just a character trait, of not liking the fact it can't attack certain Pokemon. But what was their excuse for Ash?

Am I really supposed to be okay with Ash being overly excited about battling it, that he conveniently forgot. I don't know but had the Sandile part not been included I would be far more understanding. Rather than having Ash appearing to know what he's doing only to you know NOT know what he's doing in the almost the exact same context (aka ground types).

CupidKirby

I hate him in this episode because he caught Golurk despite only contributing in the last minute though.
Do you really think he deserves that Golurk? Really?

I'm starting to think people complaining every episode about Gou not deserving to catch Pokemon is the new people complaining every episode about Ash not bragging about his past accomplishments. Until stopping when it happened in the Ho-Oh episode because, you know, they realized him doing so didn't actually improve the quality of the episode in any way. I'd say a good 80% of that applies here.

Guys, Gou isn't just a giant douchebag, ya know. He rejected Ash's offer of giving him a Pokeball in the Dragonite episode because he acknowledged that Ash might've wanted to catch something at the cost of not catching anything himself. If Ash wasn't upset that Gou "stole the catch from him," then we shouldn't police it for him. Or self-insert into him like I know a lot of people loved doing back in the old XY days and claim Gou is stealing spotlight from the rightful OP protagonist-kun.

Though if your complaints are just criticism that the series would be a lot more interesting if we saw Gou fail often and go through an epic character arc, then sure. I would love to see that as well but counting by the "ASH GOT ROBBED" comments I doubt that's how most people are approaching this.

Plz no more Kanto pokemon for Ash. We have another generations, especially the 8th one that got a short end of stick.

I think they're trying to build Ash up as the next "Kanto Champion" or at least the representative of Kanto. If that foreshadow in the previous episode ends up happening, that means Ash would likely have to defeat Lance in order to get to Leon which would make him the new potential strongest trainer of that region. To that end, I kind of understand why he'd mostly be catching Kanto Pokemon.

I still hope he gets one or two gen 8 Pokemon though.

Pikachu on its own used Thunderbolt on Sandile, Ash himself explained to Pikachu that electric types won't work on Sandile (because of its ground typing).

Ash actually calls out Pikachu to use thunderbolt ON Golurk, and then Go said to Ash something like "electric types aren't going to work just like how they didn't work on Sandile"

This all happened within the SAME episode.

I could understand, Ash being eager to fight Golurk, has a brain fart because Hapu's Golurk doesn't exist in his brain and how that fight went down. But how in the hell can anyone justify Ash KNOWING electric types won't work on Ground types but then suddenly forgets hey electric types aren't going to work.

I could maybe see an argument about Ash not knowing Golurk was a ground type (or rather forgetting), but I literally do not see how for various reasons:

1. Hapu's Golurk, Ash didn't command electric type attacks, and he only called out quick attack for strategy purposes rather than to attack. But sure Hapu doesn't exist at the moment.
2. Go's smart phone literally said it was a ground type. Am I also to believe that Ash just didn't hear the smartphone because of "plot reasons"
3. Ash did seem to possess some familiarity with Golurk, it's not like he went "What's a Golurk?" at all. Sure he didn't call it out, but its not like was lost, like he has been for Pokemon he doesn't know.

I mean the whole thing was Scorbunny seemed to be just a character trait, of not liking the fact it can't attack certain Pokemon. But what was their excuse for Ash?

Am I really supposed to be okay with Ash being overly excited about battling it, that he conveniently forgot. I don't know but had the Sandile part not been included I would be far more understanding. Rather than having Ash appearing to know what he's doing only to you know NOT know what he's doing in the almost the exact same context (aka ground types).

The moment Ash landed in Unova, he felt a disturbance in the force. A tiny voice in his head that sounded suspiciously like his BW self started whispering to him, telling him to use thunderbolt on Golurk. The two sides clashed in his brain. It was hard-fought, with both sides temporarily taking over his body at unidentified intervals. Unfortunately, the power of Zekrom roared and eventually the latter won as Gou calls Ash a kid in the distance.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
In a twisted way, Go is the opposite of Iris.

She deserved Dragon-types due to heavily bonding with them, only to get the short end of the stick multiple times.

He catches Pokemon as if he was implanted with Master Ball genes, but he hardly deserves 95% of his captures.

Neither finds the middle ground, and thus they drop down the hole around the circle.

Henry's Journey

Will some people (the same ones every day/week) will keep complaining about co-protagonist Go catching Pokémon for the the next almost 3 years!? :eek: omg...

This was a fun/adventure episode like I expected, the cotd were decent and dynamic between Ash and Go nice as always!

I definitely enjoy seeing Go's mons in the Sakuragi park/lab every other week, Ash should have moved a long time ago to Oak's lab.

In 14 episodes Go has catched 25 mons, I wonder how many of 890 will he obtain by the end of the series?

Also we saw Ash's and Go's goals highlighted in this episode 9.5/10.

Ace Kenshader

Dreaming sexy
Really like the usage of raid battles in this episode.

Red and Blue

So why did Beedrill attack Ash and its trainer at the beginning? That has to be the first time one of Go's Pokemon acted hostile towards him

Animac

Oh my god! I loved this episode so so much. I'm surprised it was that fun.
But yeah... ash using an electric move en Golurk killed the mood a bit at the end. Come on man... SM some weeks ago dealed with a "Oh ****, I forgot" situation a lot better without making him look like an idiot.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I had no sleep when I watched this live. Now that I'm no longer dead tired, I'll give a proper review for the zero people that care.

This was a really fun one. I liked finally seeing Dragonite in action, and Gou gets to use his Pokemon again. Please keep that consistent, writers.

Keira and company were pretty fun, and I hope Colorvari shows up again. Weird to have a Shiny hunter in an ep not about Shinies, right?

Also, that music that played when Golurk emerged from the...Egg? (I don't know what those are called) was really, really good. I'm not in the "obsessed with Pokemon background music" crowd, but when I hear something that sound good, it sticks out.

PkmnTCG07

Seen a lot of people on this thread state how people are salty over Go's captures and need to get over it etc. I think what a lot of you may be missing is the 'salt' isn't a result of the captures themselves, it's the method of the captures... as in the constant throws without damaging e.g. Darmanitan, just completely removes the past 'achievement' feel of a capture, the earning of a Pokemon.

At least the Golurk capture made sense as it was weakened but even that has its issues as Go barely contributed - still, he earned it more than the Darmanitan and a bunch of his previous captures. Just absolutely sick of seeing a quick Pokeball throw being completely successful with no damage on the Pokemon beforehand, where's the skill/achievement in that?

Last edited: