1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The free music thread (AKA The I love Insane Clown Posse thread)

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by JoshYEAH, Feb 26, 2011.

1. JoshYEAH

JoshYEAH ???

You know what is amazing? Free stuff. You know what else is amazing? Music. What happens if you combine those two things?

[img139]http://i.imgur.com/A7hCN.gif[/img139]

Software!

So first of all if you are a European kinda person and you don't have Spotify then what on earth is wrong with you? Also you can totally proxy it if you're American or whatever, but I don't know the specifics of that myself, so I hope you'll find this handy guide useful.

NOTE: Spotify has adverts that play every few songs and are very annoying and will not go away unless you start paying one of the two monthly fees. Honestly, if you're going to do this (which you should, Spotify is phenomenal) then just go for the cheaper one. There's no real notable difference between the two unless you're a gigantic sperglord who likes all his music playing at whatever the christ Kb/s is cool nowadays. Cheapest is best!

Next up is my bro Grooveshark which, unlike Spotify is completely free and doesn't have annoying adverts. The downside? It operates in a browser window. It has a variety of options for playlist building and whatnot and is worth a look; they have a ton of obscure stuff on there. A good tip is to just search through a genre you're interested in (or even better, one you're NOT interested in) with an open mind and see what comes up.

Finally Last.fm which in my opinion sucks but you know fine well someone is going to whine that I didn't put it here. Scrobble your music or something and listen to stuff except for 90% of artists who don't have anything other than previews on there. I am bored of talking about this bad website now.

I guess Fenix ripped me a new one for saying that about Last.fm I don't know man here is a more informative thing;

Artists!

A lot of artists give away free albums and stuff like that, notable for this is the band Radiohead with their In Rainbows album; they asked people what they were willing to pay for it, and because it's Radiohead everyone just downloaded it for free because I mean come on who is going to pay to listen to Radiohead are you kidding me.

Brad Sucks.

A cool artist I love who distributes music via the Copyleft way of thinking and is also handsome, is Brad Sucks. You can download his album (or pay for them if you want to give the guy some money) by clicking on this link.

He's got a sort of "Kurt Kobain if Kurt Kobain wasn't such a melancholic scrublord" sound, with some sweet hooks and beats to go with. Notable songs from the album linked are "Dropping out of School" and "Understood by your dad." Honestly, I don't think I've ever known someone to dislike Brad Sucks. He is magnificent.

However! His first album is miles better than that one! You can download it (or buy it) by clicking here. Pay special attention to "Borderline," "Bad Attraction," "Take out the Trash" and "Look and Feel years younger." And oh my god did you hear? The album has totally been remixed! You can click on that link there for even more free stuff! Man Brad Sucks you are the coolest dude and JoshYEAH you are smart and cool too for showing me this. Yes, I know.

Pendulum.

Pendulum held a remix competition last year where they asked listeners to pimp the track "The Island" taken from their most recent album, Immersion. You can check out all of those remixes by clicking here and pay lots of attention to the third one down and pretend you're playing a Sonic the Hedgehog game before they became infested with furries and were genuinely amazing.

Satellite High.

Yo so at another forum I go to there is a cool dude who has just finished up this tight Hip Hop album that is sort of I don't know; it's worth checking out even if you don't ordinarily like Hip Hop. OPEN YOUR MIND. Shameless Copy Paste from my twitter now.

JoshYEAH
    Free LEGIT Hip Hop album; http://bit.ly/fW1Dp3 -- "Satellite High - The Cinema Verite of Thievin' Stealberg" DOWNLOAD - http://bit.ly/eLHmu8

Enjoy.

Podcasts!

Okay so I figure podcasts are also pretty legit sources of free music because of how great they are. I mean okay some are really bad but there are a number of diamonds in the rough that aren't just fat nerds talking about their stupid World of Warcraft characters and are actually full of beautiful music that is luscious to your ears and mine. What fun we have. Get fucked with those ones that you have to pay for though in fact I don't even know why I mentioned this at all Jesus Christ I just suffered an aneuryism.

Trance Around the World

You can find this podcast by either clicking here or by typing it into the searchbar in the iTunes store you lazy asshole. Presented by one of the three guys from best Trance artists in the world Above & Beyond it's two hours of non stop amazing trance and progressive every single week. Half an hour of the show each week is devoted to a guest mix by one of the worlds best, upcoming, newest or just all around cool DJ's. Legit music right here folks.

Anyway this is all I have to give at the moment. I'll update the OP with anything people have to add to this and hopefully everyone can find lots of free music to listen to and be merry with at the parties they don't attend because they aren't smart and cool like me.

OF COURSE WE NEED TO HAVE SOME RULES BECAUSE EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU IS A MORON.

• Don't even mention torrents, honestly. Fuck you asshole you are the reason that music is becoming more expensive or harder to legitimately get for free I hope you choke on a dick.
    • Don't link to youtube either. Anyone that considers Youtube as a source of free music is also an asshole. That means you.
    • In fact if you aren't sure about what you're going to post here is legal you probably shouldn't post it at all because that's against the forum rules and everyone will think you're a twat.
    • If you don't know how to download things from the internet I don't care, figure it out yourself.

THANKYOU FOR READING MY THREAD ^___________^

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  2. GaZsTiC

GaZsTiC Alternating

:)

What about VEVO videos/videos on the music company's page? They're legit.

3. Armando Payne

Armando Payne Well-Known Member

I've gotta say the only bad thing about Spotify, is the fact that Peter Gabriel and The Eagles aren't on it. Also, we7 is another free music website (I mean you can play music and create playlists on it, so I guess it counts?)

4. Evilyn

Evilyn _

5. JoshYEAH

JoshYEAH ???

If I can't download your stuff to put on my iPod I don't care about it.

6. indigestible_wad

indigestible_wad Well-Known Member

There's absolutely nothing wrong with listening to music in a browser window or youtube. It just kind of sucks.

7. Fenix

Fenix Tremulant

Wrong. You're comparing last.fm with two sites that were built to let people to listen to music, whilst last.fm itself has a totally different purpose; finding people that like the same bands you do, finding new music using the sites recommendations, and most importantly, trolling the shoutboxes of the bands you hate/love.

But what makes last.fm popular is the scrobbling, it's some kind of metagame really, a really addictive one I'd say, it makes people more aware of what they listen to etc. etc.. Personally, I've don't use Facebook/Twitter/Myspace/LiveJournal/etc. but I've been on last.fm for three years and I really enjoyed it, it has also helped me find new music that now I consider some of my favourites, mostly via asking for suggestions from people that had similar music tastes.

To summarize, if more than one of the sentences below are true about you then you'd definitely enjoy having a last.fm account. Otherwise, you'd better stay away.

* you care about your "music taste"
    * you are a troll
    * you have OCD
    * you are a hipster
    * you like to write things nobody cares about that are somehow related to music
    * you are obsessed with correctly tagged music
    * you are well aware of the fact that you care about music too much

You just insulted my favourite band >:| I have only one thing to say to you:

[img139]http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lguhdlOXdm1qzqipqo1_500.gif[/img139]

Really good artist. I think it was in fact you that introduced him to me something like a year ago, actually. Droppping Out of School is his best track in my opinion. I think I spent a whole afternoon listening to that on repeat once (yes I do that a lot)!

One question though, there seems to be some kind of relation between Brad Sucks and people that play World of Warcraft I think. I asked around but nobody gave me a proper answer... can you do it?

8. JoshYEAH

JoshYEAH ???

Athene uses Borderline as the backing track to most of his videos, as well as Bad Attraction. Athene being "The best paladin, poker player, protoss and scientist in the world."

Seriously, youtube him, guy owns. But that's the relation.

I like Radiohead :shh:

I guess I'll edit that stuff into the OP about last.fm or something.

9. Hammerheart

Hammerheart Son of Wōden

10. Noctourniquet

Noctourniquet ∆∆∆

Yo so uh for Intel-based Mac users who can't get Spotify or hate its adverts and don't like how Grooveshark is browser-based, I compiled this lovely .app which will use Grooveshark as a normal application rather than a browser-based one.

If it works for anyone but me anyway. :U

Here's a screenshot to prove it exists.

Btw listen to Satellite High right now.