• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Fruit of Courage: Lillie and Vulpix! (957)

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Many people complained saying that S/M was essentially Lillie's story and that the player character was sidelined, and well...I wouldn't mind if the anime was also Lillie's story.

I can see the criticism in the game for this since it should be the PC's (ie you) story.

Can't see that translating across to the anime, unless one decides to project themselves and pretend they are Ash.

DatsRight

In the games the player is always a blank slate talking to far more vibrant and defined characters anyway.

The key difference here is that Sun/Moon seems to be actively trying to give Ash star power, what with his greater quirks and gaining a more legitimate rivalry with Team Rocket, while at the same time still being competent and helpful, usually getting in at least some small moment of brilliance each episode (while Lillie proved her worth this episode, they still let Ash do something meaningful to show he's dependable). Keeping this flow, Ash won't run the risk of becoming a vanilla protagonist just because Lillie gets a limelight boost.

Last edited:

DotKU

Champion
Pretty good episode, I like what they are doing with Lillie's character right now. Can't wait to see what parts of the game plot they choose for this series overall.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Loved that subtle change in Mallows expression when she blinked just before grabbing Ash.

DatsRight

One other thing neglected mentioning. The TRio intended to revamp Bewear's cave into their base (you can already see a ladder in some shots inside). I'm looking forward to seeing how a TR secret villain base will look.

TR is taking my interest this series, rather than just being regimented to the same Pikachu formula and nothing else, they have these ongoing plot lines with Mimikyu and Bewear. They seem to have got the point they can make comical characters that are still dynamic.

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
The writers are doing a good job with TR. Enjoyable Pokemon, funny gags, not appearing in every single episode, being competent (with Mimikyu) etc.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but I thought it was funny. So remember when Lillie goes to throw the Pokeball that hits Ash in the head...well we see Shiron go up to the Pokeball, then turn to look back at Lillie. At the that exact moment when Shiron is looking back at Lillie, take a look at the background and look at Rowlet lol (passed out sleeping on the floor). :D

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but I thought it was funny. So remember when Lillie goes to throw the Pokeball that hits Ash in the head...well we see Shiron go up to the Pokeball, then turn to look back at Lillie. At the that exact moment when Shiron is looking back at Lillie, take a look at the background and look at Rowlet lol (passed out sleeping on the floor). :D

*watches scene again*

*notices Rowlet passed out sleeping on the floor*

*bursts into laughter*

Oh, the SM anime and its hilarious background events! I also noticed Popplio...wrapped around Togedemaru. (Seriously, what are they doing?)

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
The writers are doing a good job with TR. Enjoyable Pokemon, funny gags, not appearing in every single episode, being competent (with Mimikyu) etc.
Also they have their personalities intact and aren't bumblingly stupid with their inventions/plans either. I like that they made Bewear's cave den as their secret base and are in preparation of getting the parts. It's actually smart. Bewear is already known as a Pokémon people are taught to stay away from and their base has a 24/7 security guard (Bewear), food, comfy beds, and possibly isn't that far from town. Seems isolated deep in the woods.

Yup! Said it in my review. It was a pretty hilarious detail that shouldn't be too hard to miss. :)

DatsRight

I loved how, rather than it just being Rowlet in his usual sleeping pose, it was him passed out on the floor like a drunk. XD

Also they have their personalities intact and aren't bumblingly stupid with their inventions/plans either. I like that they made Bewear's cave den as their secret base and are in preparation of getting the parts. It's actually smart. Bewear is already known as a Pokémon people are taught to stay away from and their base has a 24/7 security guard (Bewear), food, comfy beds, and possibly isn't that far from town. Seems isolated deep in the woods.

I like how this series keeps a subtle check into how the cast plan everything through and give them a rather methodical output. It makes all the difference with Ash and Team Rocket, who seem dimwitted but with this extra element in narrative seem deceptively intelligent in spite of their bumbling.

It's something that's easy to forget was true with Team Rocket from the beginning before their formula got run into the ground. Remember early on they sometimes refined on their previous plans and the type resistant traps could be seen as pretty genre savvy before they got used a billion times over.

Last edited:

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
Yup! Said it in my review. It was a pretty hilarious detail that shouldn't be too hard to miss. :)
::looks back at the review:: "Look at the Pokémon in the background when Alolan Vulpix is near the Pokeball lol"

I guess you did say that lol, my apologies then. I'm still wondering how I missed that the first time. :redface:

satopi

I like how this series keeps a subtle check into how the cast plan everything through and give them a rather methodical output. It makes all the difference with Ash and Team Rocket, who seem dimwitted but with this extra element in narrative seem deceptively intelligent in spite of their bumbling.

It's something that's easy to forget was true with Team Rocket from the beginning before their formula got run into the ground. Remember early on they sometimes refined on their previous plans and the type resistant traps could be seen as pretty genre savvy before they got used a billion times over.
I don't really see the TRio as dimwitted. They all have their stupid moments but in this saga, they do their research and aren't 100% thinking only about capturing Pikachu. The TRio to me has always been the most human, they make mistakes like everyone else and sometimes forget a thing or two but they try so hard to please their boss who FINALLY took them seriously since Best Wishes. They're such sympathetic characters, it's hard to look at them other than what they're been treated as, punching bags. I mostly enjoy their plans I mean outside of DP where it was excessively intolerable!

::looks back at the review:: "Look at the Pokémon in the background when Alolan Vulpix is near the Pokeball lol"

I guess you did say that lol, my apologies then. I'm still wondering how I missed that the first time. :redface:
It's not a problem. No need to get redface. :)

I also love how Lillie throws a PokeBall; she's bad at it xD
She needs to work on her form. To be honest, I don't think she wanted to hurt Shiron since the Pokeball will hit its head. Maybe she unintentionally did it just so that she wouldn't think she'll be hitting a Pokémon with something.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
She needs to work on her form. To be honest, I don't think she wanted to hurt Shiron since the Pokeball will hit its head. Maybe she unintentionally did it just so that she wouldn't think she'll be hitting a Pokémon with something.

I think she was trying to be like the other Pokémon Trainers she has seen, but she overdid it due to her inexperience and nervousness. You have to admit, Trainers can get pretty dramatic or go kind of overboard with how they throw Pokéballs; and they tend to throw the Pokéballs with such force that it's kind of a wonder no Pokémon has received a concussion from being hit in the head with one. :p

satopi

I think she was trying to be like the other Pokémon Trainers she has seen, but she overdid it due to her inexperience and nervousness. You have to admit, Trainers can get pretty dramatic or go kind of overboard with how they throw Pokéballs; and they tend to throw the Pokéballs with such force that it's kind of a wonder no Pokémon has received a concussion from being hit in the head with one. :p
Lillie would be the first person we see to mess up the first lesson everyone should know when it comes to capturing Pokémon. :D

We have to bear in mind these things can survive ridiculously hot fire and getting hit with the force of a ten-tonne truck without getting concussion.

DatsRight

Lillie would be the first person we see to mess up the first lesson everyone should know when it comes to capturing Pokémon. :D

Thats the fun thing about meticulous characters; they overthink every detail to the point they forget all about the basics, compared to more simple thinking ones like Ash, that don't really educate themselves with every bit of information, but the core elements just come naturally to them.