• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Future I Seize (1223)

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Gary: calls his starter
Goh: calls his starter
Horace: calls Gardevoir instead (his starter was Meganium)

C'mon, you had the chance of showing a trio of starters and simply... Missed it

Surprised Danika has the blue Jellicent rather than the pink one (almost forgot the pokémon's name and only remembered it later) as well

And Gary wanting to pull a Marcus/Masaru Damon is hilarious because, see, in my country, they had the same voice actor!

============

So, it ends Project Mew. Not going to lie, it was kind of dissapointing after all the build up but I guess all budget went to Ash's match against Leon. If anything, episode works more as closure for Goh's quest while laying out what he'll be doing in the future.

I think the lackluster finale is more of a fault of tying Goh's goal to Mew as opposed to anything else. It never really felt that tied. Maybe it'd work on generation I but nowdays feel kind... Unneeded.

Either way, I like the decision of making him only half-accomplish his stated goal in the show as opposed to Ash who more or less got everything he wanted. They don't need to be equals on everything but still have similar enriching experiences.

If that's really the end for his character, I'm satisfied. Not as much as I was with Dawn's closure, but it worked.

In the end, Goh is only the most unfortunate victim of the Journeys team mishandling everything and not really figuring out what they wanted the show to be. They only seem to have really gotten the hang of it after Kodaira left and Owata took over, but honestly, it feels a bit too little too late. Even Ash's victory is more because it's a result of something that's been building up for over 25 years as opposed as to a merit of the current show.

I don't mean it's bad, as it did have some nice episode and Goh was a much needed character. It just failed in execution.

Risrhayne

Subs out thoughts out folks.

This was….not a very good finale for PM. I think the whole thing was just an excuse to not have Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra adaptations, seeing how both Urshifu forms and new Regis were arguably the most important encounters. Not like that mattered though as others have pointed out. The Urshifu were knocked out early and the Regis weren’t even distant thoughts.

It’s hard to put my thoughts into words because this really felt they ran out of time and ideas. The only thing I really liked was that end bit when Mew landed in Goh’s hand as he was saying his slogan. It was definitely clever. He technically caught Mew, just not in a ball. He certainly made an impression on the Chaotic Neutral, so I don’t think that’s the last time they’ll see each other. The bit where Mew took everyone on a mind trip was….a thing that happened that wasn’t really addressed beyond Mew possibly playing tricks on people. The stuff with the glowing rocks was odd too, especially when the pokemon started fighting when the sparklies turned off. You’d think a research team would take some samples or something.
Grookey suddenly learning Wood Hammer was beyond dumb though. You can’t go from introductory Branch Poke to one of the strongest non-exclusive grass type moves after 1 or 2 battles. I was hoping they were going to learn a new move, but not THAT. You can’t even use the “ran out of time” excuse because it took nearly 40 episodes for Grookey to even use Branch Poke. This was just straight up laziness that started the second Sobble evolved because the Galar starters were given the short end of the stick starting from there.

So the rainy season has returned and PM….is over? Huh. It’s too bad the Chasers they had a whole competition for didn’t make any groundbreaking discoveries or catches that would be worth keeping them onboard, possibly encouraging them to catch weather-related Pokémon so they could brave the elements and go for Mew again regardless of the season. Millions of pokedollars blown on having a play date with Mew to find out crap we already knew; they’re an unpredictable toddler with godlike abilities.

Next week’s episode looks promising. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Goh was feeling a tad self-conscious because Ash achieved HIS dream. It’s a good moment for Ash to tell Goh that he got to that point by traveling extensively and meeting both Pokémon AND people along the way. For the one bright side of Mew’s mind trip, it gave Goh a big idea of how huge the world is. He can only get so much out of it by chucking a pokeball. The kid needs some time to really explore, not as a research fellow, but as a trainer. Mew’s not gonna join him if he’s just gonna go back to his room after catching them.

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
So Mew just beat the crap out of everyone because he could?

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
So I just watched the subs and...

I'm a little disappointed. They took last week's cliffhanger and...let gravity accelerate them past terminal velocity towards the logical ending. And by that, I mean this episode was RUSHED as ****. This really should have been 2-3 episodes to give things time to breathe, allow for more character interactions, and really embrace the weirdness that Mew was inflicting on our team of explorers. It's like the writer was told that they had to wrap it all up quickly, so cut 2-3 episodes down to the bone and stitch it together into a single episode.

I like some of this episodes plot threads. I like how Groudon and Kyogre were used here, and we should have had more scenes where Mew was testing the chasers in various ways. It would have also been nice to see the Chasers struggle a little more without their technology as they overcame challenges to meet Mew. There is so much more they could have done here if they had the time.

That said, I like how both Gary and Goh stepped up to find ways to address the legendary situation and effectively pass what I assume was Mew's test. They both put themselves in danger to protect others.

But Grookey getting Wood Hammer? Nope...not buying it.

The memory crystal thing was a cool concept, as was one of the chasers "breaking" everything by touching it.

I don't mind the way the conflict with Mew was resolved. I feel like that was set up very early. But the rush to get through this episode makes that resolution feel a little underwhelming.

So my overall thoughts on this episode are: it's a good concept, but it really needed to be spread over 2-3 episodes to make it work without feeling rushed or having an underwhelming conclusion.

Asahi/Danika is one of my favorite character designs for this series. The character concept and design are both great, and I might borrow the design if I ever get around to writing one of the sci-fi stories or RPG adventures kicking around in my head. She's one character I'm going to miss now that PM is over.

Queen Cynthia

Dignified Queen of Sinnoh
I liked the episode. It was an emotional conclusion of Project Mew and finally, Go's dream has come true.

However, due to the writers constantly playing with that Mew-can-be-angel-or demon-motif, I a bit confused as to what we should think of Mew's behaviour now: Did it enjoy attacking more or less defenseless Pokemon and humans? (Which would be a pretty cruel message conveyed by the episode) Did it attack them just because it could? Or did it attack them because it's so full of power that it has difficulties controlling it? (This last option is my preferred explanation)

So, I find it a bit sad they didn't really reveal much at the end given finding Mew was of the two main goal of Journeys. But maybe the episode was indeed intended to be a cliffhanger and we'll see the Project Mew gang, and Gary in particular, again someday, which would be pretty cool if you ask me.

Last but not least, let me say I'm pretty relieved Project Mew didn't turn out to be an evil organisation after all.
Would be great if Cynthia will be revealed some day to be a "sponsor" of Project Mew as she is said to be the greatest archeologist researching mythical Pokemon. :D

UnovaMaster

To everyone disappointed in this "finale", don't be, the English subs seem to confirm Amaranth will likely call on all three chasers again

It was not the last installment of Project Mew, it was slapped together as a way to give Goh some small progress before Paldea advertising had to take the forefront, and luckily for them a lot of their set-up was vague enough to where the story could delay those elements until later (Suicune and the Regis etc.)

I'm still team Amaranth is a villain, and this story will get justice even if it takes until 2025 to give it the true action finale, this arc just had to be stored for safe-keeping

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
Mew’s hideout was pretty and the vision of ancient times was cool too.

Ryker101

Cool episode, can’t say I’m blown away by it but it did what it needed to. Glad Goh didn’t catch Mew or anything. Project mew’s an ongoing thing, so I can see Goh joining it later if Tokio/Gary do. Honestly I loved this trio’s dynamic and wished we got more, cause aside from the Articuno battle they kept splitting them. Asahi and Tsurugi were ok but felt like fillers tbh

doofinc

get rillaboomed
I don't have too many thoughts about this - I don't particularly care enough to go back to watch this subbed so I'm not gonna discuss the quality of it.

I just don't understand the point of having this happen at the same time as PWC finals. Was there something in the subs that explained why this needed to happen from a storytelling POV? I'm not talking about the "hurr durr we can only enter faraway island during this short window and the writers Arceus decided you had to skip the final battle" but like did Goh gain anything character-wise from specifically having to skip the final battle?

At best, my only theory right now is that Goh's VA was unavailable for some reason during the recording of the finals (I vaguely remember someone saying they got COVID but I don't remember the timeline nor am I certain that someone said that so don't quote me on that). But that would also require change in animation plans/script on relatively short notice.

Overall, still a bizarre choice for Goh to skip the finals IMO.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
So while people are generally aware that Koharu's VA is Kana Hanazawa, one of the most well known VA's in the industry, seems like most people are either unaware or haven't brought up the fact that Tsurugi's VA is Kamiya Hiroshi (Levi, Araragi), who's an even bigger VA than Kana. JN seriously wasted all these amazing voice actors like Kana Hanazawa, Kamiya Hiroshi, Yuuichi Nakamura, Kensho Ono. Only Daisuke Ono can be kinda satisfied cause Leon was pretty prominent and will be remembered for one of the greatest battles in the series.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
So while people are generally aware that Koharu's VA is Kana Hanazawa, one of the most well known VA's in the industry, seems like most people are either unaware or haven't brought up the fact that Tsurugi's VA is Kamiya Hiroshi (Levi, Araragi), who's an even bigger VA than Kana. JN seriously wasted all these amazing voice actors like Kana Hanazawa, Kamiya Hiroshi, Yuuichi Nakamura, Kensho Ono. Only Daisuke Ono can be kinda satisfied cause Leon was pretty prominent and will be remembered for one of the greatest battles in the series.
Tsurugi being Levi was a pretty big thing here when he first appeared, but considering he got nothing substantial since then it fizzled out

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Tsurugi being Levi was a pretty big thing here when he first appeared, but considering he got nothing substantial since then it fizzled out
Well that's the point I'm making, JN having all these great VA's and doing such a disservice to their characters.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Well that's the point I'm making, JN having all these great VA's and doing such a disservice to their characters.
Yeah Tsurugi felt really underutilised in the end (don't agree with Chloe tho)
Project Mew in general feels really underutilised in terms of its setup versus it's actual finale.