• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Future of the World Championships

Badfemalecompanion

Since there's so much Kalos representation in this, why not have the Kalos queen be part of the opening ceremony? Maybe to sing or perform in some kind of way. I could just imagine it now, there's a silhouette of the queen on the stage and out steps...
Shauna!!!

solrocknroll

S-Class Indigo League Fan
This argument could have also been applied to Iris, before JN065, so no, it's not applicable.

If Ash can be considered Champion level now, Iris can be bumped up to that level with no explanation, then so can Paul.

No explanation is such a laughable defense against Iris. She travelled the world, meeting strong trainers and dragons like Clair and learning from them, and inherited the Champion position while continuing to learn from Drayden. Just because it happened off-screen doesn’t minimize it, which can also be applied to Paul, but he has no game arc to follow for it to be obvious.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
It's a large stretch to assume Alan would be brought back to just be steamrolled by Leon in a mostly off screen battle. No idea why you keep bringing up Trevor when he was a minor character nobody cared about, so his Charizard could be wasted

Because it's the same basic concept. The writers making a battle happen between forms to prop up the main rival in the tournament by showing them beating the other one.

Alain has no narrative importance in JN, they even bothered to show Ash react to Iris and not Alain to the Masters Eight roll call.

They can definitely have Alain just be used as a way to show how great Leon is because Alain and Ash's rivalry is over.

Landton

Because it's the same basic concept. The writers making a battle happen between forms to prop up the main rival in the tournament by showing them beating the other one.

Alain has no narrative importance in JN, they even bothered to show Ash react to Iris and not Alain to the Masters Eight roll call.

They can definitely have Alain just be used as a way to show how great Leon is because Alain and Ash's rivalry is over.
Your logic makes no sense here. The previous rival battle was because they were in the same region. Trevor was a nothing character. Alan has no connection to Leon and the only thing you're going on is two Charizard's when they can have Ash battle two different ones.

And again, there is zero reason to put Alan in a tournament of champions otherwise. His slot could have been filled by anyone else.

RLC

In hindsight, it kinda makes sense. Paul was always not really very strong, especially considering his core team of Pokémon got entirely swept by Cynthia. That’s not to say he couldn’t have improved, but I can also see why he likely isn’t on the Champions’ level
Ash would've gotten swept by cynthia back then too tho, so I don't see your point. We need to see his strenght in the upcoming ep to properly guage how strong he is now imo.

They can definitely have Alain just be used as a way to show how great Leon is because Alain and Ash's rivalry is over
Leon beating cynthia on screen would be the ultimate way to show off leon since she's so overhyped by the fanbase thus making ppl really feel the weight of his power. Alain is just here to heal the wound the alola league couldn't ( for some )

nuzamaki90

In hindsight, it kinda makes sense. Paul was always not really very strong, especially considering his core team of Pokémon got entirely swept by Cynthia. That’s not to say he couldn’t have improved, but I can also see why he likely isn’t on the Champions’ level.
Paul was always very strong lol, the only character that ever rivaled him that wasn’t an E4/Champion was Ash.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I'm lowkey surprised the spoilers were right. I really thought Paul was going to be there over Alain but it seems they want to rectify the Kalos League finals.

I think Ash vs Alain, Ash vs Cynthia and Ash vs Leon are a lock. Ash beats Alain after all this time, Cynthia is practically treated like royalty so I can't see her going out early, and obviously Leon is the main rival here. Otherwise I doubt we're going to see much of the other battles if at all.

PLEASE give us full battles and animation with budget for this tournament.
It should have been Paul, he was treated as Ash's equal throughout DP as he'd been to all the places that Ash went to and lost as well, with the Battle Frontier being the thing they didn't share.

Paul deserved to be there, Alain didn't. It's not even Alain's goal, only XYZ fanboys could openly accept his presence there.

RLC

It should have been Paul, he was treated as Ash's equal throughout DP as he'd been to all the places that Ash went to and lost as well, with the Battle Frontier being the thing they didn't share.

Paul deserved to be there, Alain didn't. It's not even Alain's goal, only XYZ fanboys could openly accept his presence there.
Ok and alain was treated as stronger than ash all of xyz, so with the top 8 being the strongest it's no suprise he's there. I have a feeling paul didn't compete in the first place tho.

Ultra Beast Lover

My headcanon is unranked Alain saw Ash fight Drasna and...

Well, you know the rest.
Now, imagine if he was Go's rival this saga:

Ash: Alain! Go, this is Alain, remember, I told you about him.

Go: No.

Alain: Oh is this the new friend you told me about?

Ash: Yeah, he wants to get all of the Pokemon so he can, somehow, get Mew.

Alain: I see... hold that thought.

(Alain returns one week later)

Alain: I've caught every Pokemon in existence, including Mew.

(Go freezes up and stares at him in complete and utter horror while Ash just smiles)

Ash: Now you know true pain.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
Ok and alain was treated as stronger than ash all of xyz, so with the top 8 being the strongest it's no suprise he's there. I have a feeling paul didn't compete in the first place tho.
By that logic Iris shouldn't even be in Master Class but she is. Characters can get stronger off-screen plus Alain is more of a recent character while Paul has not appeared in the show for 12 years.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Now, imagine if he was Go's rival this saga:

Ash: Alain! Go, this is Alain, remember, I told you about him.

Go: No.

Alain: Oh is this the new friend you told me about?

Ash: Yeah, he wants to get all of the Pokemon so he can, somehow, get Mew.

Alain: I see... hold that thought.

(Alain returns one week later)

Alain: I've caught every Pokemon in existence, including Mew.

(Go freezes up and stares at him in complete and utter horror while Ash just smiles)

Ash: Now you know true pain.
Unfortunately, Goh lacks a super exclusive non-Mega form for Alain to fall head over heels for to burn into oblivion.

Last edited: