• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Future of the World Championships

Sham

The Guardian of War
Or no one else other than Oak, Delia, Misty, Brock, and TR knows Alola exists.
I was just gonna say this. Even if it was a relatively “small” league it isn’t a middle of nowhere town (region?) and it’s been referenced in other games and JN. Also even so, they couldn’t of did a quick Google search on Ash and found out about his accomplishment? Wouldn’t a known region having its first league actually be a BIG announcement?

ShadowForce720

I was just gonna say this. Even if it was a relatively “small” league Alola isn’t some in the middle of nowhere town (region?) and it’s been referenced in other games and JN. Also even so they couldn’t of did a quick Google search on Ash and find out his accomplishment?
Again it was likely only advertised in Alola, so not many people outside the region are even aware that Alola has a league.

Unless it specifically advertised outside of the Alola region then of course the rest of the regions aren’t going to be aware of the Alolan league.

Also chances are not many would really dive that deep into it.

For as much as I hate it, Ash having an exclusive Z Move to override Volkner’s Electivire’s Motor Drive should’ve been enough for the PWC to trace his title as Alola Champion
Just because Ash used a exclusive Z-move doesn’t automatically mean that people can make a connection to be a Alola Champion.

Plus may I remind you of the fact that Ash made it to the finals of the Kalos League and used a exclusive transformation unique to his Greninja. So if aren’t going to bring that up then why they make a connection to Ash being a champion of a league that didn’t even know existed just because he used a exclusive Z-move.

doofinc

get rillaboomed

Do y’all agree with?

Basically it’s
Leon/Steven=Leon

Iris/Lance=Iris

Diantha/Cynthia=Cynthia

Ash/Alain=Ash

Semi

Iris/Leon=Leon

Ash/Cynthia=Cynthia

And finally Ash beats Leon

I think this is a reasonable bracket.

It feels like a fair number of people (not sure if it's a general consensus yet) are expecting the following:
  • Diantha and Steven are round 1 fodder
  • Ash is probably fighting Alain and Cynthia (in some order) before Leon
  • Iris vs. Lance feels likely, Iris winning is also likely but she ends up as Leon fodder
I'm a bit in the minority, but I'm still partial to Steven vs Alain happening since that battle never finished back in the ME specials, but that puts Ash vs. Alain in round 2 instead of round 1 and would send Cynthia into Ash round 1 which feels a bit weird progression wise.

So it would end up as: Leon vs. Diantha, Lance vs. Iris, Steven vs. Alain, Cynthia vs. Ash (I swear I'm not copying the dude above me, I posted about this a few times already).

This is also kind of the first time where seeding might actually have a factor in the bracket setup given the ranks (I'm under the assumption that in the leagues, they just RNG every match in-universe and the writers just fix it to whatever they want for the plot).

I would prefer if they made sure round 1 that the top 4 ranks only fight bottom 4 ranks to at least make it seem like they thought about bracket fairness and Alain vs. Steven / Ash vs. Cynthia round 1 would fit into that, but the progression/storywriting side still does come into play there. So I'm a bit undecided if what the one I would want is a great idea (I'm just fairly into bracket fairness from actual IRL tournament stuff I watch).

Heitor160

I hope there's a twist and we have Ash battle Cynthia Round 1 and then have Ash battle Steven in the semis (After Steven beats Alain Round 1).
Ash could bring back Greninja for this battle and defeating Steven would in a way, also give Ash Greninja that victory over MCX Charizard.

Steven has seen the special Greninja form before and would definitely be interested in battling it. Additionally, even if Ash lost the previous Alain fight, the battle was really well done and it's not going to be easy for Journey's to top that. As the battle again will be a power-focused battle versus Strategy.

Plus, having Ash battle Steven instead would also help avoid Ash from battling 2 Charizard Aces and also, set him up in a perfect position against the battle with Leon (Because he would've now taken out the Second and Third-ranked trainers).

Considering Journey's has been known for introducing some surprise elements and twists, I wouldn't be surprised if they surprise us with the matchups, instead of going with the obvious Alain and Cynthia.
I think it's very unlikely cause the writers made the order of the Masters 8 trainers pretty clear. Ash will probably fight trainers with progressively higher ranks during the tournament. This is why Alain (rank 6), Cynthia (rank 2) and Leon (rank 1) is the most likely matchup.
Could also be Iris (rank 7), Alain (rank 6) and Leon (rank 1), though this would be incredibly underwhelming

Heitor160

I do wonder how they’ll do the masters tournament. The league usually takes up a continuous chunk of episode near the end of the series, but we we’re not even done with goh’s thing yet.

It’ll either be focusing a lot of the screen time in the next month or two to rush through goh’s stuff, or they’ll have the tournament be broken up between rounds. The bad thing about revealing the line up now is that a lot of people aren’t going to care much about anything else until we get the tournament started.

Should’ve just had ash chill in master class for a bit and have iris be the last one to make it to mark the start of the tournament.
I predict it will go something like this:

May - The traitorious battle royale
Alola episode
Paul episode

June - Regigigas trial mission and Goh's admission to Project Mew
Koharu episode
Some random filler
Setup to the start of the M8 tournament (maybe Ash will meet his past Pokémon?)

July - Opening of the M8 tournament; Leon vs Diantha and Steven vs Cynthia's battles
Iris vs Lance; Ash brings back Greninja in the meantime
Ash vs Alain (3x3)
Preparation to Ash x Cynthia and Iris x Leon

August - Ash vs Cynthia - Part 1
Ash vs Cynthia - Part 2
Iris vs Leon; setup to Ash vs Leon
Ash vs Leon - Part 1

September - Ash vs Leon - Part 2
Ash vs Leon - Part 3
Filler
Project Mew + Final team rocket arc - Part 1 (TR is controling Mewtwo while trying to get Mew, maybe we could see Ash vs Giovani?)

October - Project Mew + Final team rocket arc - Part 2
Project Mew + Final team rocket arc - Part 3
Project Mew + Final team rocket arc - Part 4
Project Mew + Final team rocket arc - Part 5

November - James, Jessie and Meowth quit Team Rocket
Final episode; Ash goes to PokéSpain?

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Leon is the only opponent with certainty Ash will face.

Cynthia is a highly likely opponent for Ash due to the current sinnoh/hisui promotion but even that doesn't guarantee absolution.

As long as Ash doesn't fight Iris again whoever they choose to have him fight to get to Leon i'm ok with.

Course...if the rules only allow one gimmick per match, I wonder how Ash will employ his three and which one he'll use in each round.

Last edited:

doofinc

get rillaboomed
Since it seems like the bracket I proposed isn't completely unpopular/other people also independently came to the same bracket based on the other posts I've seen, I made an image version with my very amateur Paint skills if anyone wants to use it:

Yd0IZrv.jpeg

General gist for those who might see it for the first time - my criteria was the following:
  • Iris should fight Lance for Dragon Master
  • Ash should fight Alain for the salty runback
  • Ash should fight Cynthia since she's the most shown Champion in the whole show
  • Ash vs. Leon finals
  • To make the bracket as close to realistic seeding as possible without having Ash vs. Leon round one (since in normal seeding, 1 v 8 , 2 v 7, 3 v 6, 4 v 5), the top 4 ranks should only fight the bottom 4 ranks in round 1, then the projected top 2 should only fight the projected bottom 2.
    • This gives me the extra benefit of having Alain fight Steven to finish their ME Special fight
    • Diantha is fodder
    • This gives the weird scenario of Ash vs. Cynthia first but I guess if Alain wins vs Steven, he could technically be viewed as #3 in the world so it's less weird. Def admit though that I'm not sure how to mitigate this in my vision.
    • Of course writers could just not care about seeding but I kinda hope they do

doofinc

get rillaboomed
Do the numbers matter? It just seems to matter that you’re in the 8. So since it’s tournament style that you means you can be matched with anyone. Ash could easily battle #2 Cynthia in the first round and then #6 Alain in the second.
I personally prefer if seeding mattered within the tournament itself even if someone qualified, but I wouldn't want to be ranked #2 and go out round 1 just because they matched me into rank #1 immediately. But it depends on if the writers care to take this into consideration (or alternatively not care about it but set the matches anyways to coincidentally align).

I might also just be a bit unsure/unaware about how the results of the M8 tournament translate into next season - i.e. if 2nd place at the M8 tournament automatically becomes rank #2 for next season, then the hypothetical situation above would be a bit worse. i.e. I'd still think of the person as #2 if they lost round 1 to #1 tbh.

RLC

What I find unsettling about ash facing alain in the semifinals is that he will face two persons with charizard as an ace in a row. While I'm fine with it, will the anime producers be okay with it?

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
What I find unsettling about ash facing alain in the semifinals is that he will face two persons with charizard as an ace in a row. While I'm fine with it, will the anime producers be okay with it?

is it confirmed that this is happening?

So speaking of rounds, if gimmicks can only be used once per round which rounds do people think Ash will employ his 3?

if he fights Alain, Cynthia and Leon then...

Alain:Mega evolution
Cynthia:G-max
Leon: Z-move

RLC

is it confirmed that this is happening?
No. It's just I see him facing alain first or second

So speaking of rounds, if gimmicks can only be used once per round which rounds do people think Ash will employ his 3?

if he fights Alain, Cynthia and Leon then...

Alain:Mega evolution
Cynthia:G-max
Leon: Z-move
I feel like he'll somehow be able to use all 3 vs leon. Not too sure about the other two.

Two words:

Mega Altaria
Haha I forgot about that. Good point.