• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Future of the World Championships

Broseph08

Gonna be honest, despite the reveal that Alain is in the tournament, I actually don't think he will battle Ash. Maybe I'll be proven wrong but I'm sticking to my current predication that Ash will battle Lance and Cynthia and Alain will battle Leon in a Mega Charizard X vs. G-Max Charizard showdown.

Few reasons:
1. Lance has been heavily teased. Leon, Cynthia, Lance, Bea, and Raihan were all teased as Ash's opponents. Bea left the graphic when she was beaten and it showed the other four. It has been pretty consistent so I think he will end up battling Lance at some point

2. The anime likes to show the gimmicks as being equal to each other. In Sun and Moon, there were two z-move vs. Mega evolution battles where the result was split. Brock's Mega won vs. Kiawe's z-move while Misty's mega lost to Ash's z-move. So far we've seen one mega vs. G-max battle and the mega won. I have a feeling we will see a G-Max win vs. a mega and this is a very obvious one

3. G-Max Charizard vs. Mega Charizard is super hype in its own.

I could end up being wrong about this but I'm actually gonna stick to this prediction unless or until it's shown Alain will battle Ash.

Also since I saw discussion earlier, I think there's zero chance that even if Ash does battle Alain, it's a second round match. People only want to see Greninja vs. Mega Charizard. Imagine throwing the best champion in the games in the first round instead of a rematch where people won't even care about 10 of the 12 Pokémon battling. No way they'd even consider it

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Greninja taught Lucario how to control it's aura better, and would you look at the results, it created a spirit bomb without mega evolving, imagine how strong it could be if it mega evolved and did that.

Heck Lucario's synchronization is higher than Greninja's was since it's was only with Ash, but Lucario's is with Ash and the journeys team as a whole, and even Greninja as well.

So Dawn would have to use Togekiss and Piplup to beat Zoey's glameow and gallade specifically for it to matter? not sure if i agree with that way of thinking.

Lucario doesn't know what Mega Charizard X is capable of. Greninja does. You want to sell just what is at stake to battle Mega Charizard X, Lucario has to train with Greninja further to learn what to expect from Mega Charizard X. Greninja merely taught Lucario the basics with the Spirit Bomb. But a true master has more than one lesson.

And Dawn will certainly use Piplup against Glameow. Those are the signature mons for Dawn and Zoey respectively.

Iris is Iris - they didn't bring her here to make her stand in the background. Alain is here essentially to get beaten by Ash - rematch for the long-remembered Kalos League Final, so this one is obvious. Leon is even more obvious - the entire Journeys lead up to his final match with Ash.
As for the other Trainers, they're here mostly for flavor. They're just NPC Champions from previous regions and don't have much business to do with Ash. They are here because they are implied to be the world's strongest Trainers in the games, so they are obvious choices for such an ultimate challenge. But I doubt any of them will battle Ash, unless it's a round-robin.

I disagree. I think Iris is there for a Dragon vs Dragon battle match with Lance. Her journey is to become the World's Greatest Dragon Master and who better to fight than Lance?

Leon has already beaten Lance in this show. What's the point of showing it again? Same thing with Ash vs Iris. There are no stakes in that match when we know that Ash is gonna win. And really, I want Iris to get a win before being eliminated. That way, it shows that Iris had more than earned her spot in the Master 8.

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Ash vs Lance.
Also Cynthia vs Diantha.
Steven vs Alain.
Iris is about to get sacrificed to Leon
Ash vs Lance is literally the most boring match up you can get lmao (barring another Iris battle). Ash has stakes with literally the other 6 (Steven less so but still better than Lance).
Leon is obvious
Cynthia has been built up since DP
Diantha is a finisher to their battle in XY
Alain is super obvious
Even Steven was mentioned by Ash against Wallace.
But given how Lance is one of the most boring matches possible, I fully expect JN to do that.

Konja7

Well, I guess this kills any hope for reserves. Also, I hope we're not stuck with lame 1v1 matches afterwards.

I think there will be 3 vs 3 and 6 vs 6 later.

However, there could be 1 vs 1 at first, so Ash could fight every member in Masters 8.

PS: Not to mention that Lance wouldn't have more than 3 Pokemon.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
I wonder if there's a chance that Ash might lose here, depending on the tournament's structure and if it allows him to lose at all. Could be a great way to set up some sort of 'depression' arc, followed by him training with Paul. It might even be the catalyst that gets Ash to use his reserves.

AARTX

Dead inside…
So m8 battles might still be still rank climbing matches instead of tournament format? (The actual tournament might be for the top 4 or something?)

If so then Leon must have it good, Just chilling while the other seven are battling to move up the ranks (or if someone is gutsy enough to challenge him right away?)

Ash could still lose some matches then, luckily he has some sort of a safety net since there are no more promo matches so he won’t get kicked out.

Last edited:

k6666

Pikachu Fan
With recent picture it could be
Ash vs Lance ( Kanto Representative Battle )
Steven Vs Alain ( Unfinished Rematch )
Leon Vs Diantha
Iris Vs Cynthia ( Versus Her Idol )

nuzamaki90

D

Deleted member 384931

Sadly it doesn’t say anything about them batting, just a Q&A with the VA on how they feel about Lance and what matchups they’d want to see.

What’s cool though is that they acknowledged he was a member of the Elite Four prior but is now the Kanto/Johto Champion. So I guess that choice was deliberate.
Cool right tho!

DannyDiglett

Although it's great to finally see fiery matches between the top 8 of strongest trainers, the only problem I have is that the roster of powerful Pokémon is quite monotonous and predictable. Look at this:

3x Charizard: Alain's MCX, Leon's G-Max and Ash's if he is going to use his reserves
3x Dragonite: Ash, Iris and Lance
2x Metagross: Steven (shiny/mega) and Alain

Garchomp: this is Cynthia's main Pokémon and if the Gible caught by Iris has fully evolved by now that means we would have 2 of them. I think we all agree that Ash's Gible being fully evolved is ruled out.

Lucario: do I really need to explain this? It's one of the most popular Pokémon but the obsession of giving PokéAnubis this much attention in the anime is ridiculous: Movie 8, Maylene, Riley, Cameron, Korrina, Gurkinn, Kukui, and now Ash too. Cynthia has one in the games. I would really appreciate if it was replaced by something else.

Goodra: Raihan just used one against Ash. If Diantha has one like her in-game team and if Ash recalls his Goodra from Kalos we will have 3 of them in the PWC. Though the latter won't happen I guess.

Gyarados also belongs to this group of Pokémon. We've seen many of them through the years of the anime history. Lance will definitely use his strong shiny in the Masters 8 for sure. We just had Misty's mega in the Sun & Moon series and before that Lysandre showed us his shiny mega. Also don't forget Clair's and Crasher Wake's Gyarados. I've seen this aggressive dragon wannabe thing enough for now.

That also applies to its elegant counterpart Milotic: I know Wallace isn't competing in the PWC but we saw his Milotic back in the DP days during the Wallace Cup and in one of the recent episodes where he battled Ash with it. We don't know Cynthia's full team yet but if the writers stick to her in-game team that means we'll see a second Milotic in a short amount of time. Ash faced this Pokémon 2 times already during Juan's gym battle and the battle against Pike Queen Lucy. Plus we've seen one in the Feebas episode of PM2019. To me it's one of the most beautiful Water type species but the amount of showing in the anime is getting boring. I'm sorry.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy to see these trainers battling each other, but I'd like to see more diversity in Pokémon aces you know. That's why I really want to see Ash's reserves. They could keep a good screentime balance of all the pseudo legendaries and other overused ace Pokémon we've seen too often. This is also the perfect moment to debut G-Max Melmetal in the anime. Please writers, don't waste any more of these opportunities. Let some different Pokémon shine as well.