• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Future of the World Championships

DuskAstral

I think if/when Ash wins the PWC, he decides his journey has come to its end. He feels this is as good as it will ever get for him and he’d rather go out on top. It’s like the proverb says “The higher you climb, the harder you fall.” Basically he’ll have reached the peak.
I do not think so. Satoshi's dream is not to win a PWC, but to become a Pokémon Master, so I don't think he'll think his journey is over.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Ash's journey never ends. He'll be traveling to new places and meet new people when he becomes an adult and may be starting a family. That's how never-ending his journey would be.

In short, Ash would never retire. Rather, it would be the camera, our view into his adventures, that would retire first. Once it decides to veer focus away from Ash for large amount of time, that's when you know our time with Ash has come to an end.

SatoSereFan224888

I do not think so. Satoshi's dream is not to win a PWC, but to become a Pokémon Master, so I don't think he'll think his journey is over.
Honestly I think Ash’s time as main character are over when Journeys ends. He’ll continue his journey off screen.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Honestly I think Ash’s time as main character are over when Journeys ends. He’ll continue his journey off screen.
I think he might stick around, but be demoted to the role of a supporting mentor figure for a brand new protagonist.

SatoSereFan224888

I think he might stick around, but be demoted to the role of a supporting mentor figure for a brand new protagonist.
He could be a mentor. Also he needs to be older, like at least 20 years old.

DuskAstral

Just because you think so doesn't mean you will. Anime creators have no reason to remove Satoshi's MC status.
They could have done this after Alola, but they didn't, so they won't do it after Journeys.
He also did not fulfill his dream.

SatoSereFan224888

Just because you think so doesn't mean you will. Anime creators have no reason to remove Satoshi's MC status.
They could have done this after Alola, but they didn't, so they won't do it after Journeys.
He also did not fulfill his dream.
But I feel winning the PWC will be the closest Ash ever gets to becoming a Master.

Sham

The Guardian of War
But I feel winning the PWC will be the closest Ash ever gets to becoming a Master.
You know Pokémon Master is some vague goal they use to keep this anime going right?

DuskAstral

A Pokémon Master and a World Champion are two completely different things. Even Satoshi has stated that winning the PWC is "just a step away from becoming a Pokémon Master."

SatoSereFan224888

A Pokémon Master and a World Champion are two completely different things. Even Satoshi has stated that winning the PWC is "just a step away from becoming a Pokémon Master."
But I never see Ash becoming a Pokemon master. I really think it’s time he’s replaced.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Ash's time to leave the series was pretty much at the end of every season ever since he beat Gary, and maybe even before that.

We all know how that worked out.
It would be hard to keep him around because this is the best he's ever done. If they would have kept him around they wouldn't have done Journeys and the PWC, with Ash instead challenging the Galar gyms with a Galar-only team (besides Pikachu of course). Since they decided to do the PWC instead it's hard to tell where the anime, and more specifically Ash, will go next, especially if SV really are school-focused, as putting Ash back in school would be seen as a reset on the level of BW, and that didn't go over well with fans. So I believe that Journeys will be the end of Ash's story, and a new main character will take over next time.

Ash's journey never ends. He'll be traveling to new places and meet new people when he becomes an adult and may be starting a family. That's how never-ending his journey would be.

In short, Ash would never retire. Rather, it would be the camera, our view into his adventures, that would retire first. Once it decides to veer focus away from Ash for large amount of time, that's when you know our time with Ash has come to an end.
So what your saying is that Ash will be traveling around the world when he’s married, and when his wife is pregnant, and when he has newborns?
I don’t see Ash as the nomadic type. I want him to settle down with his family with occasional vacations to visit new places and old friends. Ash and his family being nomadic doesn’t sit well with me.

DuskAstral

If they would have kept him around they wouldn't have done Journeys and the PWC, with Ash instead challenging the Galar gyms with a Galar-only team (besides Pikachu of course).
It seems to me that even if the current series were focused only on Galar, Satoshi would not be taking part in the League Challenge.
Since he has already won the Alola League, why would he need to fight again in Gyms?

Blood Red

【推しの子】
So what your saying is that Ash will be traveling around the world when he’s married, and when his wife is pregnant, and when he has newborns?
I don’t see Ash as the nomadic type. I want him to settle down with his family with occasional vacations to visit new places and old friends. Ash and his family being nomadic doesn’t sit well with me.
I'm surprised you don't see Ash as the 'nomadic' type, when he spent most of his time on-screen traveling from one place to the other. In fact, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Ash spending his entire youth exploring the whole world, and only coming back to settle when he's either seen it all, or is too old to continue doing so. The only sagas that might hint at him being a settler are SM and JN, and I've already made my feelings clear on how I view this 'hub town' style of series.

Psajdak

It would be hard to keep him around because this is the best he's ever done.
If watching shonen anime taught me anything, it is that no matter how characters like antagonists, or rivals, or villains may seem final, or ultimate, if authors so want it, they can always introduce someone even stronger.

Leon may be the World Champion, but that is only when it comes to those who actually compete in PWC.

I am pretty sure that if they were interested in it, Gary, Tsurugi, and Tobias would have been ranked high in that competition, and we don't even know the full extent of what they can do right now.