• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Future of the World Championships

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
I wonder what the over/under is here on these Chloe episodes providing a decent segue to getting Dawn and Serena into the Stadium for the semifinals round.

Iris has skedaddled from the tournament, just in time for Chloe to take focus. There’s slots to fill in the stands for a support group now, and those two are the companions Chloe has her own connection to. GMax Eevee hasn’t appeared yet, so that’s an opportunity to get her into Galar within these episodes. Everything does logically line up here.

Those two can then peace out after the Cynthia battle, we cut into Goh’s Project Mew episodes and get Gary and the Alolan gang involved, and now they’re present for the final round.

Red and Blue

Surprised that the Z move was used here instead of against Leon. Wonder if Mega Lucario really will be the one to defeat GigaZard? Though I guess Pikachu could still be the last one standing even without it's Z move

Sceptilee

I disagree. I think they changed things up a bit this time with the nuke being necessary more to slow Metagross versus taking it out.
The nuke for once doesn't immediately KO Metagross and finally allows Pikachu to land a hit.
That said, I think it would've been better if Ash capitalized on this and had Pikachu land a few more hits before taking Metagross out.

Thinking about it now, the battle seems to be Steven using a combination of Strong Offense (Aggron), Defense (Cradily) & Speed (Metagross) with Ash having to overcome each trial.
I'm pretty happy that the nuke didn't KO, I think that would have been an extremely anti-climatic ending after Metagross was bossing the fight. I agree that it was necessary because Pikachu was outmatched but it's as you said, would have been nice if Pikachu was able to get a few hits in. One thing they could have done was Pikachu getting paralysis onto Metagross, either via static from the Comet punch or Thunderbolt, to slow it down. Alternatively, an Electroweb just as Metagross approaches to Comet Punch because it can't dodge when it's going in to attack. I think that would have flipped the table a bit better and then Pikachu can use it's Z-move directly on Metagross who can't move and takes the full brunt of it. This fight could have been a whole lot worse, true, but it was still mostly Pikachu getting beat up which is not something I enjoyed personally, especially when Pikachu is already established to be pretty fast.

I like your point about Offense, Defense and Speed, that's probably what Steven had in mind for team building (or should I say the writers lol). When Steven saw that Dracovish hits hard but is frail, he immediately switched to Aggron to knock it out before it can do more damage. Gengar was playing the long game with residual damage so Cradily was sent out to nullify that. I like little things like these, whether intentional or not.

The only thing that really hurts this battle is the need for drama since this is an Ash battle after all, the neutral battles like Lance vs Diantha were better because the focus was completely on the battles instead of the characters. I even liked Haxorus and Garchomp's little sparring match even though no trainer was calling a move, such things seem to make the battle more natural, even if it's contrary to the games.

Lastly, just wishful thinking but I would have loved a Sceptile vs Mega Metagross match. Two speedy pokemon fighting each other, since if any pokemon of Ash's could keep up, it's Sceptile. Would have been fitting to decide the strongest pokemon of the Hoenn region haha.

So about Pokémon world coronation returning in next series? Well I’d hate to break it to them but Pokémon journeys is ending, to answer “is ash Ketchum returning in SV anime?” And I’m like “well yes but actually no”

Sceptilee

So about Pokémon world coronation returning in next series? Well I’d hate to break it to them but Pokémon journeys is ending, to answer “is ash Ketchum returning in SV anime?” And I’m like “well yes but actually no”
I don't know, if Ash does beat the 2nd strongest trainer in the world then they might as well go all the way. If he lost to Leon, they can't expect us to look the other way when he struggles against gym leaders next season by justifying that he never beat the world's strongest trainer who's literally undefeated lol.

Only thing that would make me accept a rematch later is if he goes back to his old Aces for the Leon match. Tough for the Journeys pokemon since this should be their moment but I'd take that. But the odds of this happening are pretty slim.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
i've been thinking about something, assuming the mega zard Y does indeed turn out to be Leon's Charizard, that would mean he'd have access to 2 of the 3 gimmicks.

But here's what i'm wondering, if he and Ash were to possibly go all out and use all 3 in the final battle, logically Leon would need a Z-move too to keep things fair, but i'm not sure of what z-move would fit him...or if they would simply use one of the generic ones even if it was one we've yet to see.

AJ97

i've been thinking about something, assuming the mega zard Y does indeed turn out to be Leon's Charizard, that would mean he'd have access to 2 of the 3 gimmicks.

But here's what i'm wondering, if he and Ash were to possibly go all out and use all 3 in the final battle, logically Leon would need a Z-move too to keep things fair, but i'm not sure of what z-move would fit him...or if they would simply use one of the generic ones even if it was one we've yet to see.
Giving Leon MCY would be a bad idea. That limits him to only 1 gimmick.
Ideally, they should give Leon another Mega Evolution. Just like Ash has a team with multiple Pokemon that can use different gimmicks.
Leon seems less likely to have a Haxorus (Ace of another Master Class member). So maybe they should give him a Mega Latios/Latios or Salamance to take this spot.

Personally, I don't think Leon should have a Z-Move since Ash is the main representation of Alola and it seems like a key differentiating point he has from the other Master Class members.
Remove all restrictions in the Final match and have Ash use G-Max, Mega Evolution, and a Z-Move.

SatoSereFan224888

Now I saw the composer said Ash will lose to Leon but I think that weakness track will play when Ash doubts himself but he persevered and breaks through with his friends cheering him on and beats Leon.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Now I saw the composer said Ash will lose to Leon but I think that weakness track will play when Ash doubts himself but he persevered and breaks through with his friends cheering him on and beats Leon.
Source?

DuskAstral

Leon seems less likely to have a Haxorus (Ace of another Master Class member)
This argument is a bit weak, since we have 3 Dragonites (Wataru, Iris, Satoshi) and also two Charizards (Leon, Alain) in this tournament.

Let's add that we saw two Altaria in a short time (Drasna, Lisia).

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
This argument is a bit weak, since we have 3 Dragonites (Wataru, Iris, Satoshi) and also two Charizards (Leon, Alain) in this tournament.

The real issue is Aegislash due to the referee

AJ97

Haxorus is an Ace.
While Ash doesn't have an exclusive ace in this series, Dragonite is neither Lance's nor Iris's ace. Since the ace pokemon will be represented as something iconic/powerful in the respective battle, it's less likely to see another version of that fall in battle (To a normal Pokemon).

The ace pokemon generally gets preferential treatment.

Master Pikachu 11

Haxorus is an Ace.
While Ash doesn't have an exclusive ace in this series, Dragonite is neither Lance's nor Iris's ace. Since the ace pokemon will be represented as something iconic/powerful in the respective battle, it's less likely to see another version of that fall in battle (To a normal Pokemon).

The ace pokemon generally gets preferential treatment.
Dragonite is actually Lance’s ace in the games and that is why he dynamaxed it and was his last Pokémon in the fight against Diantha. All of the champions have used their ace Pokémon last in the first round except for Leon who used his ace second and didn’t have to show his third Pokémon.

AJ97

Dragonite is actually Lance’s ace in the games and that is why he dynamaxed it and was his last Pokémon in the fight against Diantha. All of the champions have used their ace Pokémon last in the first round except for Leon who used his ace second and didn’t have to show his third Pokémon.
Game logic does not always extend to anime.
Plus, this isn't exactly true
1) Gyarados was officially stated to be Lance's ace based on all of the posters but more importantly, Goh explicitly mentions this during the Paul fight when Lance is mentioned.
2) Lance Dynamaxes Gyarados in arguably a greater high stakes match (Finals of PWC Last season)
3) Dynamxing his pokemon does not necessarily = Ace. Leon G-Maxed Rilaboom which wasn't his ace.

Master Pikachu 11

Game logic does not always extend to anime.
Plus, this isn't exactly true
1) Gyarados was officially stated to be Lance's ace based on all of the posters but more importantly, Goh explicitly mentions this during the Paul fight when Lance is mentioned.
2) Lance Dynamaxes Gyarados in arguably a greater high stakes match (Finals of PWC Last season)
3) Dynamxing his pokemon does not necessarily = Ace. Leon G-Maxed Rilaboom which wasn't his ace.
Again the Pokémon that he used last is usually the ace. The only reason Paul uses Gyarados is because Ash already has a Dragonite and they want to try not to have two of the same Pokémon fight each other. Plus Lance went with Gyarados against Charizard because it helped gave him a type advantage and even though the games don’t translate to anime. The anime this time around has tried to be a little consistent to sticking with the games

AJ97

Again the Pokémon that he used last is usually the ace.
Not true.
Drasna fight: Mega Altaria was taken out first. Noivern was not shown to be Drasna's ace.

The only reason Paul uses Gyarados is because Ash already has a Dragonite and they want to try not to have two of the same Pokémon fight each other.
Bud, you're making a lot of assumptions..
Plus Lance went with Gyarados against Charizard because it helped gave him a type advantage and even though the games don’t translate to anime.
The same guy who also keeps Dragonite instead of Gyarados against Aurorus? Sends out a Gyarados instead of Hydreigon against Gourgeist and further brings a Hydreigon to a fight with Diantha (Where it is a known fact she has a Mega Gardevoir)?
Just seems like further assumptions.

The show constantly indicates Lance's Gyarados to be the ace. Best to follow factual information than make deductions based on assumptions.

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
I don’t have a dog in this fight, so I can say rather confidently that Gyarados is the ace of anime(!) Lance while game(!) Lance’s ace is Dragonite.

The reason for this is most likely that in the anime, Lance catches the red Gyarados following a mini arc whereas in the Johto games, the player catches it after teaming up with Lance.

MunchMunch

Again the Pokémon that he used last is usually the ace. The only reason Paul uses Gyarados is because Ash already has a Dragonite and they want to try not to have two of the same Pokémon fight each other. Plus Lance went with Gyarados against Charizard because it helped gave him a type advantage and even though the games don’t translate to anime. The anime this time around has tried to be a little consistent to sticking with the games
The anime has been pretty consistent with the fact that Red G. Is Lances ace.