• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Future of the World Championships

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
I recently rewatched the battles Ash and Kiawe had against Misty and Brock in SM, and indeed I felt the animation was much more fluid and dynamic than in JN.
Not to mention in XY where they didn't have the still image background (like putting some color background instead of the real one in some attacks) and the animation also felt a lot better.
I don't get why current gen Pokemon battles look worse than the past 2 gens battles. Wonder if they get less budget now or if they have just made a really poor choice of animation.

A lack of production time and skilled animators on-hand likely play a part in which the 2019 series has more conservative animation. Sun & Moon was an outlier in this industry, especially for a long-running series. It's a shame but it is what it is.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
A lack of production time and skilled animators on-hand likely play a part in which the 2019 series has more conservative animation. Sun & Moon was an outlier in this industry, especially for a long-running series. It's a shame but it is what it is.
Tbh I'm surprised stuff like XY, SM, or Wano Piece were/are possible in a weekly schedule

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
Tbh I'm surprised stuff like XY, SM, or Wano Piece were/are possible in a weekly schedule

They're quite surprising indeed! Tiger Mask W (Sakugabooru) and World Trigger Season Two (Sakugabooru) were also really well produced! Dragon Quest: Dai no Dai-Bouken (2020) is another extremely well produced production. Dai had two cours finished before it began to broadcast, even! If you check out its Sakugabooru page you'll notice that its scenes are also quite long. The large amount of projects in production in Japan combined with the short production schedules and the lack of animators due to both those and and poor pay lead to lower-quality projects, unfortunately.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
They're quite surprising indeed! Tiger Mask W (Sakugabooru) and World Trigger Season Two (Sakugabooru) were also really well produced! Dragon Quest: Dai no Dai-Bouken (2020) is another extremely well produced production. Dai had two cours finished before it began to broadcast, even! If you check out its Sakugabooru page you'll notice that its scenes are also quite long. The large amount of projects in production in Japan combined with the short production schedules and the lack of animators due to both those and and poor pay lead to lower-quality projects, unfortunately.
I'm surprised they managed to be 2 cours ahead, considering how tight production can be. Are those weekly as well or seasonal?

(also, about the other post about Iwane.........tbh I actually feel he hasn't been breaking model too much this series either, unlike, say, the people who worked on the Iris episode, where Haxorus outright felt like he was in another artstyle, in a good way)

Evstike

Take me back to peak pokemon
He's got one of the most unique looks on the series. The series needs less conformity and more personality from the animation.
There's a difference between style and poor quality. Iwane's episodes have always had a unique look which I've had no problems with. In fact I'm a huge fan of his shading and exaggerated poses. His Mega Evolution specials are among my favourite episodes in the entire show. However starting with SM, the characters in his episodes have looked extremely off (with the exception of his first 2 SM episodes which looked fine). My problem isn't with the characters not looking like the designs on the character sheets, but with the quality of the drawings (eyes without shading, wrong head/hair shape, Goh's eyes being the wrong shape/eyelashes facing the wrong direction, etc.). Takashi Shinohara's JN episodes are intentionally off-model (which I also don't like but for a completely different reason) but I don't think Iwane's are. It might be due to a lack of time, which would explain why Shimura has been an animation director on his episodes since SM (when my issues started). I didn't have many problems with the Volkner battle which looked heavily corrected (even corrected some old BANK). I've also had no issues with his work in the recent Shinjo/Masutani episodes (which were also off-model until recently). You may like these things and that's your preference, but it's ruining my enjoyment of these episodes, which is a bigger problem when he's one of the only people providing animation for action scenes in JN.

His Ash and Chloe designs look fine now but there's still issues with Goh.
I recently rewatched the battles Ash and Kiawe had against Misty and Brock in SM, and indeed I felt the animation was much more fluid and dynamic than in JN.
I agree that JN's animation is lacking, but using one of the best animated episodes in the entire anime as a benchmark might not be the most fair comparison.

Red and Blue

After that "you can only use one battle gimmick" rule, is there an implication that there is someone else other than Ash who uses Z-Moves in the PWC, because there isn't a single Alolan character participating in this. Not even Kiawe.
There could have been Alolan trainers in the other classes offscreen. Just because Ash never battled them doesn't mean they don't exist

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
There could have been Alolan trainers in the other classes offscreen. Just because Ash never battled them doesn't mean they don't exist
Yeeeah, but after the randomness that was his entire Alola class making it to the league but then everyone suddenly sitting out of this even better(?) competition with no other trainers at Alola itself to challenge him despite his reputation(?)...

Torpoleon

Ever since the pandemic started, I've noticed that Iwane's episodes are also have Izumi Shimura credited as an animation director. Actually, it seems like a lot of the episodes since the pandemic started have more than 1 animator. Maybe this is contributing to our animation complaints. I'd imagine that the pandemic has made things more difficult as far as scheduling and stuff like that is concerned.

Hopefully Iwane is the sole animation director eventually. He's easily my favorite and I'm sure most, if not everyone else, will agree.

Morax

King of heroes
SM had weird priorities. Why does mundane stuff like skipping rope and sipping coffee need good animation? What’s the appeal of a character walking around in 4k 120 FPS?? They’re just …..just walking around.

That is my problem with violet evergarden as well but i’m willing to let that go because the story was utterly beautiful but pokemon is not even trying to tell a good story with it’s animation. It just sucks on all frontiers. All of that budget should have gone into battles.

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
I'm surprised they managed to be 2 cours ahead, considering how tight production can be. Are those weekly as well or seasonal?

(also, about the other post about Iwane.........tbh I actually feel he hasn't been breaking model too much this series either, unlike, say, the people who worked on the Iris episode, where Haxorus outright felt like he was in another artstyle, in a good way)

Dai is weekly, they just managed to convince someone to let them get two cours ahead of broadcast before airing the first episode. As a result the amount of good shots in the series is staggering. Shida Naotoshi usually only has time to do a short scene but the extra time (as well as mostly working only on one series) has allowed him to do a ton of animation for Dai, including animating the entire first Opening by himself! I'm not sure what the situation with World Trigger: Second Season was but the schedule was going enough for Oota Kazuhiro to solo Episode #2 and produce several minutes of exciting animation for it, too!

Iwane's episodes have had long-time animation supervisor Shimura Izumi as a second animation supervisor since SM began. My guess is that someone wants his episodes more on-model for whatever reason, which is a shame. Nevertheless, Iwane's speed and variety of skill are unheard of. No other animator on the planet can be trusted with solo key animating an episode like he does while also producing exciting action, character, comedy, effects, liquid, fire, smoke and mecha animation in an episode. Even more amazingly is how he's doing this in his fifties! My hope is that Iwane will be given more time for future episodes, though, but that also means hiring more animators and re-arranging the way the story unfolds. Back during DP they re-arranged the schedule so that Iwane could skip two cours so that he could solo #187-188 and #191 while also working on the other Shin-ou League episodes as an action animator. I'd love to see that done again. Similar was also done with the schedule for Mega Evolution IV and the seventh XY gym episode as well as the eighth gym!

D

Deleted member 384931

Iwane is the only one who HAS to do important battles. Image him quitting. Pokemon would look alot different

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Dai is weekly, they just managed to convince someone to let them get two cours ahead of broadcast before airing the first episode. As a result the amount of good shots in the series is staggering. Shida Naotoshi usually only has time to do a short scene but the extra time (as well as mostly working only on one series) has allowed him to do a ton of animation for Dai, including animating the entire first Opening by himself! I'm not sure what the situation with World Trigger: Second Season was but the schedule was going enough for Oota Kazuhiro to solo Episode #2 and produce several minutes of exciting animation for it, too!

Iwane's episodes have had long-time animation supervisor Shimura Izumi as a second animation supervisor since SM began. My guess is that someone wants his episodes more on-model for whatever reason, which is a shame. Nevertheless, Iwane's speed and variety of skill are unheard of. No other animator on the planet can be trusted with solo key animating an episode like he does while also producing exciting action, character, comedy, effects, liquid, fire, smoke and mecha animation in an episode. Even more amazingly is how he's doing this in his fifties! My hope is that Iwane will be given more time for future episodes, though, but that also means hiring more animators and re-arranging the way the story unfolds. Back during DP they re-arranged the schedule so that Iwane could skip two cours so that he could solo #187-188 and #191 while also working on the other Shin-ou League episodes as an action animator. I'd love to see that done again. Similar was also done with the schedule for Mega Evolution IV and the seventh XY gym episode as well as the eighth gym!
oh so I'm guessing that's why Shida hasn't been in OP that much lately. And huh, here I thought Shimura had been with Iwane for a while