• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Future of the World Championships

AJ97

Torterra is one of the biggest disappointments in the anime.
Pokemon that were strong while Turtwig and Grotle were suddenly weakened.

Speed is more important than strength in anima. Slow pokemons could not make a big impact.

Ash has always done well with fast pokemons.

Slow pokemons like Torterra, Torkoal, Boldore are not for Ash.

Snorlax is perhaps the only slow pokemon Ash can use.

Ash's torterra keeps getting bashed but don't you realize that all of Torterra's opponents were incredibly strong and powerful?

It's first loss was against Bertha, a member of the Elite four. I mean, other than AG, none of Ash's Pokemon has even displayed power remotely close to Elite four tier. Even Ash's Sinnoh Ace, i.e Infernape was easily destroyed by Flint's infernape.

Torterra's second loss was against Volkner who was written as this extremely powerful gym leadewr who lost interest in battling simple because of how strong he was and he also rivalled and trained with an elite four member in the past. So from a narrative standpoint, it would make sense to give Volkner the first win in the battle to give Ash the underdog status. I mean, Volkner didn't even use his Ace and Infernape had to activate Blaze to win. So Torterra losing against Volkner isn't that big a deal.

It's last loss was against Paul's Drapion. Paul was a trainer just as competent and possibly even stronger than Ash. His whole strategy was to use his first 2 pokemon to reveal Ash's team and then try to sweep with his Drapion. From a Narrative standpoint, I guess this battle is probably Torterra's poorest performance and something it could've won, but it's other 2 losses are against an Elite four member and a Super Powerful gym leader.

So I honestly find comments about Ash's torterra being weakened post evolution simply absurd.

I still have a pessimistic pov

I think Ash and Leon will meet in quarterfinals, 1v1.. or maybe even before that, assuming the top 8 in Hyperclass vs Top 8 Masterclass to define the new best 8.

Leon will win but at least Ash will achieve his goal this season, I think the champion will be Gen 9 champion

That's what many of us have argued since the DP saga. Obviously the studio can shake things up a bit as they did with the slice-of-life feel of the SM saga or the current "world tour" angle in this series, but I don't think they're daring enough to get rid of Satoshi regardless of whether or not he beats Dande and becomes the new World Champion.

It's my personal belief that they would just introduce a new quest for Satoshi where he faces strong opponents who never competed in the World Championship, or they could just reboot the series with Satoshi as the main character still, but set in a different continuity.
I like the reboot idea

Ultra Beast Lover

There's a future?
No. That's just a lie we tell ourselves just so we can continue down this road with no end with a false sense of hope that we'll live to see the end.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Torterra is one of the biggest disappointments in the anime.
Pokemon that were strong while Turtwig and Grotle were suddenly weakened.

Speed is more important than strength in anima. Slow pokemons could not make a big impact.

Ash has always done well with fast pokemons.

Slow pokemons like Torterra, Torkoal, Boldore are not for Ash.

Snorlax is perhaps the only slow pokemon Ash can use.

I generally agree that speed is an important battle tactic in the anime. Bulky Pokemon don't usually perform well unless they're owned by competent COTDs, or else exceptions like Satoshi's Kabigon which managed to be slow but strong. Even in its case however, Kabigon hasn't battled since AG if I remember right, so it's almost a moot point now.

thedarkdragon11

P4P Elite
Ash is getting closer to the Class he will most likely stay the longest...

Any guess who will be the final obstacle in Great (Super) Class?

Rinto is unlikely, Bea is likely in the Ultra (Hyper) Class already...

Korrina? Opal? Lt. Surge? Wikstrom? Iris? Gary?

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
Tbh i doubt how much they can slow down ash’s rank climbing.

Of course there’s the question of how long this series is gonna go, but With this series having goh be an ‘equal’ to ash, ash won’t even have most of those remaining non filler episode focused on him and the PWC. So i do question how much time do we even have to focus on the PWC.

He’ll get to top 100 in the next PWC battle or at the latest the one after that. I would think the M8 is the one that can’t be skipped, so i imagine he’ll be jumping through hyper class pretty quickly as well unless they hyper focus on the PWC. I don’t find that likely since i can’t imagine them sidelining goh too much.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Them not knowing what to do with Ash anymore was obvious since BW. He's never getting replaced anyways since he's now the face of the anime and their marketing tool.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Ash is a better character than some anime fans give him credit for.