• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Future of the World Championships

Master Pikachu 11

Tbh yeah, because I don't really see every single person from a region that gamefreak hasn't created yet consistently acknowledging what Ash has done.

They don't even need, because Ash's actions will tell the characters and the audience all they need to know about how he operates in his love and care for Pokemon.
I agree even this series despite a lot of continuity they don’t acknowledge everything he has done like when he returned to Luminous City, they didn’t recognize him as the kid that jumped off Luminous Tower to help rescue the Professor’s Garchomp or the same trainer that helped saved the region from Team Flare. Even in the last Alola episode only two kids recognized him as the Champion. While Anna who was there when he won the league, did not say anything. So the writers can pick and choose what continuity they use in the series.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I agree even this series despite a lot of continuity they don’t acknowledge everything he has done like when he returned to Luminous City, they didn’t recognize him as the kid that jumped off Luminous Tower to help rescue the Professor’s Garchomp or the same trainer that helped saved the region from Team Flare

and yet he got shocked when he was on the news being built up for his match with Drasna.

Did the media even see all of them trying to stop the giant Zygarde rock anyway?

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Yeahhh, part of me does feel that because of the fanservice of the season, has led some to believe that everything will be completely different going forward and I don't know if I'm still going to go to believe that just yet.

I remember reading an article from the gamer which expressed the same sentiments about Ash finally becoming a Pokemon Master.

Even if he does win, I don't think it's going to be something that the surgeon is going to constantly reaffirm to us considering how they treated his champion title thus far

I would say that things have changed since Alola. This whole world tournament thing always came across as a Pokémon League for Champions. Bigger and grander than anything that came before it. And coming fresh from the Alola League victory, it seems like a natural lead up to that.

It could have simply gone for the Galar Gym Leaders are the toughest Gym Leaders yet with an unbeatable champion of the region, and it would be a believable setup for Ash to go off the Alola League, since it was admittingly a smaller League.

But no, let's make it a tournament that involves the world. And let Ash have half his team be Kanto Pokemon, one from Sinnoh, and the remaining team actually from Galar. It's this type of innovation that makes it feel like Alola League victory didn't feel meaningless like the Orange League.

desdar300

I would say that things have changed since Alola. This whole world tournament thing always came across as a Pokémon League for Champions. Bigger and grander than anything that came before it. And coming fresh from the Alola League victory, it seems like a natural lead up to that.

It could have simply gone for the Galar Gym Leaders are the toughest Gym Leaders yet with an unbeatable champion of the region, and it would be a believable setup for Ash to go off the Alola League, since it was admittingly a smaller League.

But no, let's make it a tournament that involves the world. And let Ash have half his team be Kanto Pokemon, one from Sinnoh, and the remaining team actually from Galar. It's this type of innovation that makes it feel like Alola League victory didn't feel meaningless like the Orange League.
I just don't see it being something that the staff will always remind the ten-year-old watching the show of every opportunity they get.
Even his Champion status is something that's only really been reference once and that's it.

A lot of it kind of just comes off as wishful thinking on our part.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
I just don't see it being something that the staff will always remind the ten-year-old watching the show of every opportunity they get.
Even his Champion status is something that's only really been reference once and that's it.

A lot of it kind of just comes off as wishful thinking on our part.

Kids are smarter than you think, and have access to the Internet these days. I mean, they didn't have to mention the fact that Wallace was in Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, which aired like 15 or 14 years ago. But they did.

They even mentioned how Ash saved Erika's Gloom, and that was over 20 years ago. Not to mention all that League flashbacks in the build up for the Alola League.

I think the GS Ball is when they realize they are not dealing with short-term memory audience all those years ago.

Sham

The Guardian of War

Guy100

Short answer, there is no trainer.

That's the punchline to the whole Pokémon Master thing. It's not a real rank. It's not even a real eligible goal.

It's essentially a motivation drive. To be the very best, like no one ever was. It is beyond any Champion or Elite Four. Beyond catching em all.

It's a never-ending journey to be the best Pokémon Trainer... or really any career involving Pokémon. As long as there's something new in the world, be it locations, Pokémon, people, and challenges, etc. Ash will pursue it. Just like how Goku will pursue tougher opponents for his entire life despite being old enough to retire.

That's why Leon's greatest fear isn't him losing. It's actually reaching the top and have no more challenges left. He is the closest person to the definition of a Pokémon Master and it's not because of his skills, but rather mentality. Every trainer's worst fear in the franchise is having no challenges left. That's how you know you're the best.
Much thanks for providing much dialogue on your take on what a Pokemon Master is.

Unless the franchise or anime had retconned its concept of how a trainer obtains the rank of a Pokemon Master, its my understanding that the title of being a Pokemon Master, was a prestige rank, something equivalent to the mechanism of how a scholar obtains a high level academic degree (Masters or Ph.D), which could only be attained through vast accomplishments, such as winning league tournaments and championships.

Based on what dialogue I can recall from the series, a Pokemon Master was described to be a trainer whose gained much wisdom in the ways of understanding pokemon, and has phenomenal battling skills. However, the process of getting there is very challenging, which not many trainers are able to achieve.

Overall, I never took the title rank of Pokemon Master to be a visionary goal constructed by a trainers personal ambitions, but as a something that could be achieved , especially if the goal towards obtaining it is shown to be acknowledged by many world class trainers, and world renowned professors such as Professor Oak. The title wasn't something a 10 year old, such as Ash, made up, especially if was educated about the knowledge of how to get there.

For example, one could obtain the ultimate martial arts skill rank of becoming a blackbelt or master of a particular practice to be a sensei of a dojo, but the rank does not acknowledge them to the "THE BEST". That can only be decided in tournament battles.

Last edited:
Not really. The Drasna battle was poorly done but there's no reason he couldn't beat her anyway in a better written battle. Ash and Iris had a great battle with her Dragonite being more experienced and calming Ash's down, but otherwise they wrote them on the same level. They actually did a great job showing strategy on both sides and Ash finishing off Haxorus while Iris KO'd Dracovish fron afar after she realized what a monster it was.

Besides that there's no reason Ash shouldn't be this strong now.

SevereRacccon6

Sinnoh and Kalos Enjoyer
Not really. The Drasna battle was poorly done but there's no reason he couldn't beat her anyway in a better written battle. Ash and Iris had a great battle with her Dragonite being more experienced and calming Ash's down, but otherwise they wrote them on the same level. They actually did a great job showing strategy on both sides and Ash finishing off Haxorus while Iris KO'd Dracovish fron afar after she realized what a monster it was.

Besides that there's no reason Ash shouldn't be this strong now.
Lmao if Ash hadn't reset and get nerfed every damn region he would have been champion+ by sinnoh

they kept hindering him and keeping him below league champ till alola

Last edited:
Don’t know if these episodes are confirmed yet but the summaries line up with the new intro.

With whatever the **** the users profile pic is I don’t trust it

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
i was under the impression those titles had been declared fake.
Yeah. I'm not expecting Raihan to be Ash's MC entry opponent unless we see a scene of him losing to Flint, which would make Flint being shown knocked down to Rank 8 completely pointless.

solrocknroll

S-Class Indigo League Fan
I’m not exactly sold on Ash’s entryway to the Masters Eight being Flint partially because Flint being there just feels wrong to me, and Flint also doesn’t really have any canon use of gimmicks like Mega Evolution or Dynamax (though he can pull Mega Houndoom out of his ass I guess). I feel like a Galar character pretty much needs to be his last step to Master Class, and whether or not Raihan fits the bill is up in the air. We could always see like, Peony or someone similar.

The other thing about Flint to me is that I feel like Ash’s journey to the Master Class has to have at least one rival, whether that be Paul or Iris or a new character or anyone else, and I see Flint being fed to whoever Ash’s “new rival” will be. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Paul mulch him in Paul’s returning episode, and his battle against Ash then being a training match without rank involved. Flint just feels too much like filler to be a fitting last fight for Ash.

I’m not exactly sold on Ash’s entryway to the Masters Eight being Flint partially because Flint being there just feels wrong to me, and Flint also doesn’t really have any canon use of gimmicks like Mega Evolution or Dynamax (though he can pull Mega Houndoom out of his ass I guess). I feel like a Galar character pretty much needs to be his last step to Master Class, and whether or not Raihan fits the bill is up in the air. We could always see like, Peony or someone similar.

The other thing about Flint to me is that I feel like Ash’s journey to the Master Class has to have at least one rival, whether that be Paul or Iris or a new character or anyone else, and I see Flint being fed to whoever Ash’s “new rival” will be. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Paul mulch him in Paul’s returning episode, and his battle against Ash then being a training match without rank involved. Flint just feels too much like filler to be a fitting last fight for Ash.
I like this suggestion, though in the current set-up, Paul can't get into the Masters Eight until Ash either goes up or down from 9th place (and that would require Ash fighting Flint). The only way it could work is if we meet Paul when he's already in the Masters Eight, and see a flashback of him beating Flint to get there, maybe?

ETA: the other possibility is Paul challenges Ash for 9th place and wins, then goes on to beat Flint, leaving Ash to have to fight to regain 9th place again and then he battles Raihan, who's since dropped down to 8th place. Seems a bit complicated to happen though.

solrocknroll

S-Class Indigo League Fan
I like this suggestion, though in the current set-up, Paul can't get into the Masters Eight until Ash either goes up or down from 9th place (and that would require Ash fighting Flint). The only way it could work is if we meet Paul when he's already in the Masters Eight, and see a flashback of him beating Flint to get there, maybe?

This is actually the type of thing I was thinking of. Like, a recap news report about Flint losing to Paul/Iris/Tobias/Cameron/Alain/Ritchie/Jessie/Lillie/Kukui/Mewtwo

which… kind of makes him a memetic punching bag lmao