• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Future of the World Championships

D

Deleted member 384931

Fitting my man Flint is a literal clown, because he definitely got clowned on.
The guy cant catch a break and it is sad.
If only time and money were limitless
Ah yes, there would alot amazing shows rn. I mean I appreciate how JN does it for a weekly series, but sometimes it is kinda bleak compared to other anime who are popular rn.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
Man there's so many cool fights that I want to see but we can't see all of them:

Ash vs Alain for the salty runback
Alain vs Leon for Charizard fest
Alain vs Steven to finish their battle
Alain vs diantha to get the best in kalos
Ash vs Iris for a proper battle
Iris vs Lance for dragon master
Iris vs Cynthia for previous unova exp
Ash vs literally everyone else
Steven vs diantha just cuz they were the two in xyz

If only time and money were limitless
Don't forget Ash vs Lance to get the best in Kanto

Red and Blue

Alright Alain is confirmed then. Sucks but it is what it is.

Also if Cynthia reached second place Leon might be in trouble

doofinc

get rillaboomed
Even though IMO it's most logical from an in-universe POV to properly seed the M8 bracket based on their rank, they will probably make it randomized seeding so that Ash doesn't get immediately nuked by Leon.

Red and Blue

So while Ash wasn't mentioned as the Alolan Champion did they at least mention he was the winner of the League in his description

desdar300

I'm unsure if Ash being the alola champion should be mentioned.

Given the whole "major/minor" thing the current games started. if it does get mentioned who's to say that the public wouldn't call it out as a minor league and it could hurt the feelings of the alola cast, and especially Kakui since he was the one who created it.

I really don't care other than who Ash faces honestly, and I believe he'll face Lance/Alain, Cynthia and Leon in that order.

the only person i don't want ash to fight is Iris, cause they already have.
I don't think that's all the minor and major leagues work.
That's just a bona fide Sports reference to UK Sports and a in-game explanation why they didn't make 18 gyms for SWSH.

doofinc

get rillaboomed
Even though IMO it's most logical from an in-universe POV to properly seed the M8 bracket based on their rank, they will probably make it randomized seeding so that Ash doesn't get immediately nuked by Leon.
Actually, I think a feasible scheme to make things kinda work: randomize ranks 1-4, randomize 5-8, then have one from 1-4 fight 5-8. That way it's still sorta seeded fine (1-4 are still projected to make it to round 2 even if this doesn't actually happen) but also can avoid Ash vs. Leon at the start. Then you can randomize round 2 since it'll be so few people left that it wouldn't matter too much. The only weird part with this is that Ash vs. Alain would end up round 2 in this case.

Kind of a baseless theory - I kinda feel like they're going to try to push the anime-focused characters into top 4. No real proof or concrete logic for this, just a vibe I'm getting.

My projected now which lines up with my seeding idea:

R1:
Ash vs Cynthia
Iris vs Lance
Alain vs Steven
Leon vs Diantha

R2:
Ash vs Alain
Leon vs Iris

R3:
Ash vs Leon

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
I posted my tournament prediction in the episode review thread. I'm going to quote it here rather than repost it.
The M8 leaks turned out to be accurate, which is nice. I think the tournament will use random seeding, and we'll see the following bracket.
Quarterfinals:
Ash vs. Cynthia - Ash Wins
Alain vs. Steven - Alain Wins
Iris vs. Lance - Iris Wins
Leon vs. Diantha - Leon Wins

Semi-finals:
Ash. vs. Alain - Ash Wins
Iris vs. Leon - Leon Wins

Finals:
Ash vs. Leon - Team Rainbow Rocket Attacks Ash Wins

I think this seeding makes sense based on the open plot threads from previous series and what we've seen in the preview trailer. We see Ash training with someone who has a Garchomp (probably Paul). It would make sense for Ash to train with Paul to prepare for Cynthia if she was his first battle. It can also serve as development for Dragonite.

Alain and Steven never finished their battle in the Mega Evolution Specials, so this could serve as that chance to finish it. I think Alain would win here, setting up a rematch with Ash.

Iris vs. Lance is a battle of Dragon Master vs. Prospective Dragon Master. I think Iris would succeed here, achieving her goal and becoming a Dragon Master before falling to Leon.

Finally, I think Iris and Ash scoring victories serves as a "passing the torch" moment, which is a theme of SwSh.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
What I think will happen, either:

Ash vs Iris>Ash vs Alain>Ash vs Leon

Or

Ash vs Alain>Ash vs Leon>Ash vs Cynthia

Either way I don't see Ash winning this especially if he doesn't use any reserves, he'll be in second at best.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
There is zero reason to show Alan go down to Leon. They're not going to promote one Charizard form over another. And in this series Mega Evolution wins over Gigantamax most of the time anyway.

They would never bring Alan back otherwise. He's an anime only character and not a champion. He's there for fanservice and that's it.

Once again, they had no issues promoting Mega Charizard X over Mega Charizard Y.

"Most of the time" - It only happened once.

They can bring back anyone for whatever reason. Gary came back to be Goh's rival.

Paul is coming back for an unknown purpose.

Alain can be brought back to prop up Leon even more.

They can choose to do anything to subvert our expectations. This latest battle proved it: How many people were convinced it would end up with Mega Lucario vs G-Max Duraludon and Ash switched it up last minute for G-Max Gengar.

Ash has reason to battle ANY of the other competitors and it's a little shortsighted to assume Ash vs Alain is confirmed when in fact the only real guarantee is Ash vs Leon. Not even Ash vs Cynthia is safe.

Landton

Once again, they had no issues promoting Mega Charizard X over Mega Charizard Y.

"Most of the time" - It only happened once.

They can bring back anyone for whatever reason. Gary came back to be Goh's rival.

Paul is coming back for an unknown purpose.

Alain can be brought back to prop up Leon even more.

They can choose to do anything to subvert our expectations. This latest battle proved it: How many people were convinced it would end up with Mega Lucario vs G-Max Duraludon and Ash switched it up last minute for G-Max Gengar.

Ash has reason to battle ANY of the other competitors and it's a little shortsighted to assume Ash vs Alain is confirmed when in fact the only real guarantee is Ash vs Leon. Not even Ash vs Cynthia is safe.
It's a large stretch to assume Alan would be brought back to just be steamrolled by Leon in a mostly off screen battle. No idea why you keep bringing up Trevor when he was a minor character nobody cared about, so his Charizard could be wasted

solrocknroll

S-Class Indigo League Fan
I'm lowkey surprised the spoilers were right. I really thought Paul was going to be there over Alain but it seems they want to rectify the Kalos League finals.

In hindsight, it kinda makes sense. Paul was always not really very strong, especially considering his core team of Pokémon got entirely swept by Cynthia. That’s not to say he couldn’t have improved, but I can also see why he likely isn’t on the Champions’ level.

World Turtle

There are only eight spots. And in every fight there is a winner and a loser. Paul may have been in the Master 8 at one point but got kicked out.

Anyways, the future of the PWC probably depends on Ash beating Leon or not. They could end up dragging things out through the next series where Ash has to climb the ladder to the number 2 spot before they finally let him beat Leon.

Panky..

Discord: Panky..#9281
In hindsight, it kinda makes sense. Paul was always not really very strong, especially considering his core team of Pokémon got entirely swept by Cynthia. That’s not to say he couldn’t have improved, but I can also see why he likely isn’t on the Champions’ level.
This argument could have also been applied to Iris, before JN065, so no, it's not applicable.

If Ash can be considered Champion level now, Iris can be bumped up to that level with no explanation, then so can Paul.