• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Future of the World Championships

AJ97

From what was seen, only Greninja and Lucario could destroy these roots, so Alain's Charizard wouldn't be able to help.
Note also that only Greninja can detect these roots, so that another Pokémon cannot fulfill this task.

From what has been said, the only tricks available during PWC are G-max, Z-Move, and Mega Evolution.
Greninja does not have any of these (her ability is "Battle Bond"), so I don't think Ash-Greninja could be used.
If Lucario can destroy the roots, why can't Alain's Charizard destroy it?
As for the detection of the roots, that's an interesting point but they could definitely write around it. (Plus, they could even make it temporary. Something like Alain will hold down the fort until Ash's battle.(

Ash Greninja objectively is not a gimmick. It is a special Pokemon Ability. Something like Infernape's Blaze. In a way, it would be like Lucario's Aura boosted attack which was used.
Naturally, Ash will not resort to using any other gimmick in the same battle, but Ash Greninja is definitely fine to use in the PWC.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Will we actually get an…explanation when Ash Greninja comes back?

AJ97

Will we actually get an…explanation when Ash Greninja comes back?
What do you mean by "Actual explanation"? If you're talking about more information regarding the origin and transformation, then definitely not.
But they would briefly explain what the form is, "Maybe the other Master Class members are watching the match and Diantha explains the transformation to the others". Or maybe Clement/Bonnie/Serena etc come to watch Ash's battle and explain the transformation to Goh.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
As for the detection of the roots, that's an interesting point but they could definitely write around it. (Plus, they could even make it temporary. Something like Alain will hold down the fort until Ash's battle.

Here's another thing it's not just Greninja being able to detect them, but how exactly can anyone other than Ash find Greninja?

Also, I seriously don't see anyone leaving the venue for the masters 8 once it starts either

There's one other negative thing that could come out AG coming back during the M8, the exhaustion factor, that never exactly went away and with the caliber of battles we should be getting here, the strain could end up costing Ash.

I still say if he and Alain fight to settle this "score", it should be after the M8, and don't say there wouldn't be stakes involved because there still are, clearing the doubt of if Ash can beat Alain once and for all is a stake as far as i'm concerned.

I do agree though that AG is an ability and not a gimmick, if they seriously treated it like one now that would be stupid.

AJ97

Here's another thing it's not just Greninja being able to detect them, but how exactly can anyone other than Ash find Greninja?

Also, I seriously don't see anyone leaving the venue for the masters 8 once it starts either

There's one other negative thing that could come out AG coming back during the M8, the exhaustion factor, that never exactly went away and with the caliber of battles we should be getting here, the strain could end up costing Ash.

I still say if he and Alain fight to settle this "score", it should be after the M8, and don't say there wouldn't be stakes involved because there still are, clearing the doubt of if Ash can beat Alain once and for all is a stake as far as i'm concerned.

I do agree though that AG is an ability and not a gimmick, if they seriously treated it like one now that would be stupid.
The Master Class Tournament won't be a one-day event. There could very well be gaps between each round etc. They can easily write around all this. Even the regular Regional Leagues had some rest period in between. Ash could very well get on a Plain, go to Kalos and find Greinja. Plus, now it should even be easier with Lucario being able to detect Greninja.

"There is no exhaustion factor". The Bond Phenomenon just functions in a way such that Ash and Greninja are essentially one. Ash sees what Greninja sees, feels the pain it feels etc. There was never any stamina exhaustion issue etc. All that would only be brought up if Greninja was Ash's main ace and they had to show it progressing in strength.

doofinc

get rillaboomed
Another format that I think the anime could pull off:

Divide the 8 into 2 pools of 4. Each pool does a round robin, all 3v3 (doubt the anime can handle 3 more 6v6s). Top 2 of each pool gets put into a top 4 final bracket, all 6v6

Pool A:
Leon (1st)
Steven (4th)
Alain (2nd)
Iris (3rd)

Pool B:
Cynthia (2nd)
Lance (4th)
Diantha(3rd)
Ash (1st)

Final Bracket:
Leon vs Cynthia
Ash vs Alain

Leon vs Ash

Rationale for bracket split: for each pair of M8 (12,34,56,78), put one in one pool and one in the other.

I opted to put Alain in a different pool from Ash to have the rematch be 6v6, since IMO it feels a bit weird to have the rematch be a downgrade. Unfortunately that does come with Iris being fodder in that pool.

Anyone else have cool bracket ideas they want to see? Alternatively anyone have different ideas for this format I suggested?

k6666

Pikachu Fan
Is the johto league style confirmed for master class ?
Then Ash Gonna Face Lance , Chyntia and Alain and Face Leon in final
While Iris Gonna Face Diantha , Steven and Leon

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I'm really praying it's a round robin style tournament because I really think Ash is gonna end up battling Lance, the narrative is pushing it hard
Because if it's a knockout tournament, we are bound to have Alain not battle Ash, and that's just going to be unsatisfying as epic as a GMax vs Mega Charizard fight would be
Heck I don't even need Ash to face Alain in the Masters 8, just give them a battle outside the tournament atleast, even if it's a 1v1 with Ash Greninja vs MCX

World Turtle

…if Ash wins it’d be hard to imagine him just walking away to do something else. That’d feel disrespectful to the other PWC participants. Nor is he the type to give up and walk away if he loses.

Not that he can’t be doing something else between seasons or title defense matches.

Continue working as a researcher for Professor Cerise? Become a mentor to a newbie trainer? Seek out and challenge Legendary Pokémon to battles?

Badfemalecompanion

I have a new idea for Ash vs Leon.

Ash beat dynamax Charizard but Leon has one Pokemon left (another Charizard) and it uses the S/V gimmick of making Pokemon really small, thus making them very evasive. Ash is confused by what is happening and the Isshiki-Zard swirly eyes his remaining Pokemon. This sets up Ash's travels into Pokespain, to find the secret to the ability that crushed his dreams.

Badfemalecompanion

If it's a round robin, it gives Ash a chance to lose or tie to someone and still progress. This might be good because it reinforces how strong the competition is and saves super champions from being mere bumps in Ash's road to Leon. I would like to see something like this:

Group 1: Ash, Alain, Diantha, Cynthia
Group 2: Iris, Lance, Steven, Leon

Ash loses really badly to Cynthia in round 1, then beats Diantha, then has to beat Alain to progress along with Cynthia into the semi final. Cynthia faces Leon and Ash fights Lance or Steven in the other semi. Ash vs C̶y̶n̶t̶h̶i̶a̶ ̶a̶g̶a̶i̶n̶ Leon in the final. Ash uses a new form of Pikachu, Z-dynamax, to overwhelm Charizard. The end.

BlueDragonfangirl

Looks great, if only I could fast forward through the stuff we’ve got coming up.