• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Future of the World Championships

TheLink

Eunie is as Eunie does.
They almost *have* to end it after Journeys. Yeah you could argue the gym formula stuck around for…5 sagas, but each of those had the excuse of the Gyms being in a separate region. With the PWC being global it’d be awfully contrived for them to suddenly go “but wait, *insert champion character from Gen 9 here* didn’t participate and they’re actually stronger than Leon! It’s not over yet, peeps!”.

solrocknroll

S-Class Indigo League Fan
They almost *have* to end it after Journeys. Yeah you could argue the gym formula stuck around for…5 sagas, but each of those had the excuse of the Gyms being in a separate region. With the PWC being global it’d be awfully contrived for them to suddenly go “but wait, *insert champion character from Gen 9 here* didn’t participate and they’re actually stronger than Leon! It’s not over yet, peeps!”.

I mean, you could portray them as a rising star. Sure, it’d likely still be at least a little contrived, but nothing really says a trainer who wasn’t worthy of top 8 last season can’t be now.

World Turtle

The master eight only has eight slots. So of course not everyone can be included. And in every fight there is a winner and a loser. And just because they weren’t stronger that time doesn’t mean they can’t get stronger for next time.

Personally I want the Gen 9 Champion to be Ash’s new rival not just a goal to defeat like Leon. I want Ash and them to push each other into getting stronger with each getting their share of wins and losses.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
all this gen 9 champion talk... i'm just hoping the writers don't pull a snipe move after the final battle with whoever they end up being.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Hate to say this but I'm expecting a filler in between... Probably Grookey stuffs... I do hope Ash trains in that episode with Alain...
Someone wrote that Alain VA was only paid for 1 episode so if it's true we won't see much of Alain.

Maybe we will get some Lance training with Ash (as per the Merchendise).

thedarkdragon11

P4P Elite
Lance training Ash is likely since he'll feel annoyed he went from finals to out first round and will want some horse in the race
Makes sense... I do hope Ash would train with Diantha as well... That way he'll defeat both Lance and Diantha as well... Leaving Alder the only champion he has yet to defeat after this tournament... Unless the Gen. 9 Champion, the former champions of Kanto and Johto, Mustard and Peony would be introduced...

Sceptilee

I know things have been disappointing so far, lack of reserves was the biggest by far and then the opening match was a bit of a joke. But all that aside, I'm looking forward to the upcoming battles! There's always potential for the writers to screw this up haha but let's take a seat, relax, and try to enjoy what's in store for us.

Lance vs Diantha is a low-stakes battle so they're unlikely to job anyone and we might see a close, see-saw battle against two Champions, both of whom have something to prove. Also I'm really glad Lance's Dragonite is his Ace here, Red Gyarados is cool and all but Dragonite is the iconic one.

Cynthia vs Iris features most people's favourite Champion against a previous protagonist and also has some history to it, and from the trailer it seems like this will be a very even fight. Might even be the fight I look forward to the most in the Group stages seeing as it isn't completely set in stone that Cynthia wins as opposed to Ash vs Steven.

Ash vs Steven is an Ash battle so it will probably have the most effort put into it, nothing much to say honestly but it will be incredibly satisfying to see Ash beat one of the stronger Champions. I expect Gengar to play a big role here, it already has experience from beating Paul's Metagross and has Ghost type attacks + G-max Will-o-wisp for a strong fire attack too. We already know that Pikachu battles it too so either Pikachu getting defeated earlier or Gengar getting defeated and then Pikachu finishing the job will hopefully give respect to Metagross.

Leon vs Diantha/Lance is probably the least exciting upcoming battle as it's already decided who wins and there's always the chance the winner gets the Alain treatment. But I'm hopeful that they'll give respect to a fellow game Champion and actually make Leon look vulnerable, so that Ash beating him looks even slightly realistic. There's a lot they can do right or wrong with this one, let's see.

Ash vs Cynthia, I think we've all been waiting for this one for 10+ years! Ash battle aside, there's also history to this one plus Cynthia is one of the most beloved Champions and her Garchomp is one of the most iconic pokemon that we've never seen beaten before, all starting from when it made Paul look like a chump. I'm keenly looking forward to this one and I just hope they give the appropriate respect to Garchomp, it's one of my favourite pokemon and has been shown to take hits like a Champ so hopefully no Lucario one-shot shenanigans here (since Mega Lucario is most likely to take it out). On the off chance that this is Ash vs Iris though, it will still be pretty exciting and Iris will already have proven herself considering she beat Cynthia. That will be a great match too but honestly, most signs point to Cynthia atm. Let's see.

And lastly, the final! And honestly, there'll be nothing more satisfying than seeing that overpowered Charizard going down! Hopefully a Pikachu Z-move to the face to finish it :) And since this is very likely a 6v6, perhaps the only 6v6 at all, and they'll probably give this one a good number of episodes and put their best effort into this, I think we'll have a cracker! Ash vs the strongest trainer in the world and he has a chance to win! Our boy's come a long way :')

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I know things have been disappointing so far, lack of reserves was the biggest by far and then the opening match was a bit of a joke. But all that aside, I'm looking forward to the upcoming battles! There's always potential for the writers to screw this up haha but let's take a seat, relax, and try to enjoy what's in store for us.

considering sinnoh couldn't even get that right lack of reserves doesn't bother me.

the match started well, but by the time it got down to their charizards...it fell apart.

as far as tournament openers go though nothing will top Pikachu vs Serperior in terms of ridiculousness

k6666

Pikachu Fan
I thought it implied in BW that She is , and if I'm not wrong In DP , Chyntia is also The Pokemon Master

Well hope our girl put a good fight to Chyntia , Cause I know Chyntia is Winning 100 %