• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Future of the World Championships

doofinc

get rillaboomed
Can't believe we seriously had to wait a month in between Round 1 and Semifinals. My hype meter is pretty much almost gone already.

Still hoping that Ash vs. Leon allows all 3 gimmicks at once to at least give it some explosiveness and hoping that the battles look better than round 1.

Eevee903

You are awesome!
Can't believe we seriously had to wait a month in between Round 1 and Semifinals. My hype meter is pretty much almost gone already.

Still hoping that Ash vs. Leon allows all 3 gimmicks at once to at least give it some explosiveness and hoping that the battles look better than round 1.
Yeah, while we understand the production issues, it doesn't help the flow of the tournament or the hype.

Garbodor.

So from today's episode, they revealed the stat sheets for the semi finalists:

9caypps1o9h91.jpg

qajt1142o9h91.jpg

s3qrj4c2o9h91.jpg

15xvg4k2o9h91.jpg

Translation:

North - Offense

North East - Defense

South East - Speed

South - Tactics

South West - Experience

North West - Unexpectability

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
Wish they‘d have make such stat sheets for all 8 participants. It mostly makes sense, though I don‘t think Diantha and Cynthia deserve their unexpectability ranking. Cynthia shocked everyone with her mega evolution, while Diantha didn‘t do anything unexpected against Lance.

9caypps1o9h91.jpg

qajt1142o9h91.jpg

s3qrj4c2o9h91.jpg

15xvg4k2o9h91.jpg

Translation:

North - Offense

North East - Defense

South East - Speed

South - Tactics

South West - Experience

based on this

1. Leon
2. Cynthia
3. Diantha
4. Ash

SevereRacccon6

Sinnoh and Kalos Enjoyer
Man I just rewatched Ash VS Diantha and its so much better than most journeys battles, while not even being a league battle itself

Also I think that is the exact point in time ash got buffed to near champ level, sure diantha started off slow but towards the middle she had to start picking up the pace and even when she mega evolved gardevoir she was getting her ass handed to her, had ash not fainted i think that would have been a very close battle and possible dub for AG

Heres a cool AMV for it:

GarchompTheAssassin

Water starter fan

9caypps1o9h91.jpg

qajt1142o9h91.jpg

s3qrj4c2o9h91.jpg

15xvg4k2o9h91.jpg

Translation:

North - Offense

North East - Defense

South East - Speed

South - Tactics

South West - Experience

With that experience stat and the news of her imminent retirement, I take that to mean Cynthia has held her Champion position for the longest amount of time in-universe.

Wish they‘d have make such stat sheets for all 8 participants. It mostly makes sense, though I don‘t think Diantha and Cynthia deserve their unexpectability ranking. Cynthia shocked everyone with her mega evolution, while Diantha didn‘t do anything unexpected against Lance.

Ngl it almost feels like they lowered that particular stat for Cynthia so she wouldn't have a better overall than Leon.

AJ97

based on this

1. Leon
2. Cynthia
3. Diantha
4. Ash

Offense : Leon = Cynthia = Ash > Diantha ( Rank 1 : Leon, Cynthia, Ash | Rank 4: Diantha)
Defense: Leon = Diantha = Cynthia > Ash (Rank 1: Leon, Diantha, Cynthia | Rank 4: Ash)
Unexpectedness: Ash > Leon = Diantha > Cynthia (Rank 1: Ash | Rank 2: Leon, Diantha | Rank 4: Cynthia)
Speed: Ash = Leon > Diantha = Cynthia (Rank 1: Ash, Leon | Rank 3: Cynthia, Diantha)
Tactics: Cynthia = Diantha > Leon > Ash (Rank 1: Cynthia, Diantha | Rank 3: Leon | Rank 4: Ash)
Experience: Cynthia > Diantha = Leon > Ash ( Rank 1: Cynthia | Rank 2: Diantha, Leon | Rank 4: Ash)

Leon: Rank 1 (3), Rank 2 (2), Rank 3 (1), Rank 4 (0)
Cynthia: Rank 1(4), Rank 2 (0), Rank 3 (1), Rank 4 (1)
Diantha: Rank 1(2), Rank 2 (2), Rank 3 (1), Rank 4 (1)
Ash: Rank 1(3), Rank 2 (0), Rank 3 (0), Rank 4 (3)

Interestingly enough, Cynthia seems to be better than Leon in more categories. Her only Rank 4 seems to be in "Unexpectedness" and I guess this ties well with her Rank under "Experience". Given that Cynthia is the most experienced of the bunch, it's likely she's someone who sticks to using whatever she knows and mastered; instead of trying to come up with something different.

Additionally, we also see Ash is tied with Leon in terms of the number of Rank 1s and is ahead of Diantha. While being the weakest in terms of experience, he has the highest rank in terms of unexpectedness which makes perfect sense. Since he's the least experience of the bunch, he's more likely to come up with on the fly unexpected techniques to try to gain an advantage.

Leon being ranked first in Attack, Defense & Speed suggests that he has the best-balanced team across the bunch. Given that he's the champion, it would make sense for him to have a well-rounded team that capitalists in the 3 main areas. This contrasts with all the other challengers who seem to specialize in 1-2 skills at max; while trading off for another.

Man I just rewatched Ash VS Diantha and its so much better than most journeys battles, while not even being a league battle itself

Also I think that is the exact point in time ash got buffed to near champ level, sure diantha started off slow but towards the middle she had to start picking up the pace and even when she mega evolved gardevoir she was getting her ass handed to her, had ash not fainted i think that would have been a very close battle and possible dub for AG

Heres a cool AMV for it:
So Alain>Diantha?
And Unmastered AG>Perfect AG?

AJ97

This is not true at all. Based on this logic, Wolfric and Sawyer are also at Champion tier level.
1) Diantha wasn't even trying to win or was hardly serious in the battle. She was merely curious about the new form Ash mentioned and Olympias Prediction. Her primary goal was just to push Greninja a bit to trigger the form.
2) Once AG transformed, Diantha had more trouble doing the above. Hence, she had to Mega Evolve.

Claiming she had her "Ass handed to her" is absurd. She significantly underestimated AG which was a high potential Pokemon. Had the battle been serious (Diantha was actually looking to win), the battle would've ended in the first few seconds.

AG only hits close to E4 tier level in the Alain fight as we actually see it hold its own against a Confirmed Elite four tier pokemon being used by a trainer going all out.

Heres a cool AMV for it:
Sinnoh & Kalos enjoyer absolutely chad

Sceptilee

Heres a cool AMV for it:
That was a seriously cool battle and while Diantha did seem to hold back initially, she did get overpowered before the battle suddenly ended. I guess it's partly because Ash and Greninja couldn't control that much energy, perhaps controlling it to make it more stable actually cost a bit of power? But yes, this was the moment that changed the anime.

About the rankings, I think Cynthia's cool and calm demeanour might be part of why she's not very unpredictable. That's something more that you would expect with the emotional types, and I figure Iris would rank highly as well. I understand what they're going for with it but unpredictability does have negative connotations too, that's not usually something you see in world champions. But we do see underdogs punch above their weights and win tournaments unexpectedly which is what they're going for this season.

Sceptilee

I hope Dragonite gets it's time in the spotlight vs Leon, it's my favourite mon from Ash's Journeys team because it didn't just magically become strong but was always like that from the start, while also actually getting some focus unlike Dracovish. It's unfortunate that with the focus on the other Pokémon's gimmicks, Dragonite has become the fall guy in multiple battles now. Even it's recent defeats weren't one-shots by any means, it kept taking hits over and over vs Flygon and Garchomp.

I wonder, does Dragonite's fall have anything to do with them suddenly switching Lance’s Ace back to his Dragonite? It could be that they gave Ash a Dragonite early on and decided on Gyarados for Lance (which I didn't really like tbh) after which they backtracked before the Masters Eight. And now that there's enough marketing material for it, the focus is now on the other mons.

SatoSereFan224888

I think there’s a good possibility the battle between Ash & Leon end in a draw. I could see that match be a back and forth match. It’s so tight that the final blow knocks out their Pokemon and neither answer the count. Question is what would happen next?

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I think there’s a good possibility the battle between Ash & Leon end in a draw. I could see that match be a back and forth match. It’s so tight that the final blow knocks out their Pokemon and neither answer the count. Question is what would happen next?
Narratively, this is cheap. Depending on how the narrative goes, this can lead to two winners or a tie-breaker match.

Well if Rose interrupts the final the match might be declared a draw/no contest due to outside interference. But I see where you’re going if Rose does interfere. I think Leon will be so pissed he punches Rose out breaking his skull and have him burn in hell.
That level of violence doesn’t belong in this anime

Speed22

I had a feeling about something similar but with a natural disaster interrupting the match just before the final blow. I just get this feeling that something really bad will happen to Ash and Pikachu...

I'm not saying things will happen in this exact way but what if Rose interrupts the finals and uses a bunch of electrodes as bombs and Pikachu gets caught in the blast and loses its tail? Something unexpected will happen that will shock us.
Oh great, another one who's watched too many violent shows...
But I doubt that would happen.

Well if Rose interrupts the final the match might be declared a draw/no contest due to outside interference. But I see where you’re going if Rose does interfere. I think Leon will be so pissed he punches Rose out breaking his skull and have him burn in hell.
Why don't you just have somebody's head cut off at this point?