• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The game's titles

Ver-mont

I could actually see 'Crown' as a final name, but 'Scepter' doesn't sound that marketable to me.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Rose&Violet are a possibility, but I slightly doubt them to take flowers.

Crown and Scepter aren't names I would pick as well, but I have to admit these would make quite "good" additions to the DP remake names. But I would rather choose something related to Time/Space or Dialga/Palkia.

I heard Past&Future. Okay names but sometimes confusing when mixed up with text. Like "Lets talk about the Future and Past of Pokemon". Something like that.

Pokémon King and Queen sound the best for an England based region. I’m obviously picking Queen lol.

These games are supposed to become a hit once they get announced, not a base for bad memes and people outside the fanbase laughing to those gender based names.

Not want to sound rude here, but I think GF would never pick such names. The same for Hero/Villain. And translated they even get more messy.

Orphalesion

Just as I asked in the Starter thread.....why do people expect the games titles to be specifically tailored to what real world place the region is based on?

There is literally nothing in the history of the series that presents a precedence for that line of thought.

Also....sorry, but gendering those games would be freaking awful.

Last edited:

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
Just as I asked in the Starter thread.....why do people expect the games titles to be specifically tailored to what real world place the region is based on?

There is literally nothing in the history of the series that presents a precedence for that line of thought.

Yeah I'm with you on this one...

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I could actually see 'Crown' as a final name, but 'Scepter' doesn't sound that marketable to me.
Yeah. Scepter is a word that not a lot of people, especially those who don't live in a monarchy, use or even know what it means.

Yeah. The titles usually don't relate to what real world area the region is based on.

Lucky3

Crown and Scepter are way too specific to be titles, same with King and Queen. The names are usually more generic and conceptual than that (colors, letters, gemstones, etc). The most specific we've gotten are Sun and Moon, which are concrete objects that exist, but they still have plenty of symbolic baggage. Sword and Shield I can see happening.

Last edited:

paipr_christian

grass type fan.

Valid, but that's also just how folks minds work. People think of a region and state "there are so many great animals they could use"

And while I do agree that it's likely not to happen, it's still fun to think what if.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Crown and Scepter are way too specific to be titles, same with King and Queen. The names are usually more generic and conceptual than that (colors, letters, gemstones, etc). The most specific we've gotten are Sun and Moon, which are concrete objects that exist, but they still have plenty of symbolic baggage. Sword and Shield I can see happening.
I don't think that naming the games after weapons would be a good idea. As I said before, the titles don't usually relate to what real world area the region is based on.

amoebo

amoeboVGC
One thing that should be considered is that every title for every main-line Pokemon game has related to opposites- I.e Sword and Shield would work in practice, but Scepter and Crown would not. Which is also why i'm not sold on the Violet and Rose as long as they are specifically tying into the plant, not the color (and i would imagine thats what it's in reference to)

Conceptual ideas for that relationship could be justice/injustice, hot/cold, past/future, go ham.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I'd argue the idea of opposites isn't really valid.

Red and Green peppers (or Red and Blue) aren't opposites.

Gold and Silver aren't.

Ruby and Sapphire aren't either.

Nor are Diamond and Pearl.

Black and White really is the first time you could say 'opposotes' were used.

More so the titles are pairs (often times with plausible 'third' reps, but even that's debatible).

So in theory Crown and Scepter could work even if they sound odd (and I do t like em much).

I would argue Crown and Sword sound better.... But then from there I would argue Sword and Shield sound even better.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
Sword is a bit... Aggressive. They tend to avoid political, controversial or aggressive language. Which is also my problem with Crown and Scepter (aside from it just sounding bad). I like Violet and Rose, Hope and Dream, and Tundra and Savannah

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Sword is a bit... Aggressive. They tend to avoid political, controversial or aggressive language. Which is also my problem with Crown and Scepter (aside from it just sounding bad). I like Violet and Rose, Hope and Dream, and Tundra and Savannah
Yeah. This is true if you look at the games' titles from 1996 until now.

Lucky3

I don't think that naming the games after weapons would be a good idea. As I said before, the titles don't usually relate to what real world area the region is based on.
Swords and Shields aren't exclusive to any region of the world. But perhaps Spears could be a more widely accepted counterpart to Shields(like that one Chinese legend with the ultimate shield and the ultimate spear). I don't really see anything controversial about swords and shields. They haven't been used in warfare for centuries. Anyways, I just think they work better compared to Crown and Scepter because the terms can have a lot of meaning beyond the actual objects.

Orphalesion

As far as media for children goes, swords are among the least controversial choices when it comes to weapons. Even cartoons like Adventure Time and Steven Universe have them, so I don't think that "Pokemon: Swords" would be all that controversial.

And in theory I don't see Crown and Sceptre being controversial either, as long as the game itself doesn't have any ruling kings/queens running around the region. Just maybe a historical monarchy from many, many years ago like in Kalos. Many people love seeing royal regalia in museums, even places that violently overthrew their monarchs.
I'm an anti-monarchist myself in real life, but still enjoy seeing historical artifacts and buildings relating to monarchy.

jvoie

an idiot who loves games
hum.... new titles, huh?

well....something like light and dark? no, that cant be since black and white already exists...
has to be something simple...pokemon imitation and pokemon original?

PKMN KING

Ozymandias
If UK based:

- Crown & Scepter (love those titles)
- Fish & Chips (I would pick Chips, I love Chips)
- How Do & You Do (It's a saying)
- Order & Chaos (...probably not, because Black & White had those things)
- Brave & Heart (...probably not, because HeartGold)
- Thee & Biscuits (...I'm hungry and thirsty at the moment)
- Past & Future (quite boring titles, but possible)
- Honor & Dignity (...I don't know)
- Stay & Leave (...because Brexit)
- But my earlier idea stays the most interesting: Glass & Mirror (with reflection(s) as a third game)