1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual Alliance Club

Discussion in 'Clubs' started by Willow's Tara, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Manchee

Manchee extra toasty

Was just asking questions to clarify what was going on so that things that maybe weren't being thought about could be thought about. I didn't want it to flop and be discouraging, but as long as everything is being thoughtfully put together and those running it are happy with whatever outcome, no harm done.

I look at it this way- NYC has SO many queens that everyone there has to hold themselves to a really high standard in order to stand out and be noticed. They have to elevate their drag and be so polished that they are looked at to win from the very beginning. NYC is also a huge hub for latest fashion trends and culture, so the queens there are going to have the advantage of being surrounded in that before they come to drag race. Also, Aquaria isn't just an NYC queen, she's the drag daughter of Sharon, who also won and is from Pittsburgh. The style and talent that she has could be largely influenced by the level of skill that Sharon possesses (by this point she has been a winner for like five or six years, which is a long time to be perfecting her drag and passing teaching that to someone else)

That's interesting- I've seen a lot of people online who think that it was set up for Eureka to win (especially after being kept in a double save twice during a season). Most of the final four all got a lot of screen time, and in all of their defense, each of them has a lot to say on what is going on during the season (with Asia, Eureka, and Aquaria all being larger personalities- Aquaria and Eureka more than Asia). I think whatever way you look at it, as the season continued, it was clear that Aquaria and Eureka were both very likely to win. Aquaria had a bunch of fashion-forward looks and Eureka has a hilarious personality. Aquaria is a little more in her head about acting and being funny, and Eureka is limited in the types of looks that she can put together. I know there's a lot more to winning than those things, but that's largely what a lot of people see.

Asia's elimination was so hard to watch! My friends and I were all cringing the entire time... she deserved a better send-off than that.

Do you use Tumblr much? I saw a ton of Vixen love and support on there, especially in most of the RPDR tags. She's got a huge fanbase of people who can look past her arguing and "negative" attitude. I loved what she brought to the show, and I'm going to love seeing her continue in her career.

Does anyone know why Tammie Brown wasn't at the finale? She's one of my favorites and I was so sad that she wasn't present!

2. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff

Tammie I heard was on tour in Australia during the finale taping.

3. Manchee

Manchee extra toasty

Ohhh gotcha! Well that sucks that they weren't able to get them all to show up.

If anyone is looking for something LGBT that's worth watching, I recommend Queer Eye, the new Netflix version of it is really good.

4. Captain Jigglypuff

I’m going to test out my idea for fake nails that can be attached with wig glue and easily removed for reuse on Friday during an open stage. The song I’m going to perform is Janet Jackson’s When I Think of You.

5. Manchee

Manchee extra toasty

Can we start a list of good LGBT+ film/novel recommendations?

For novels, I'd recommend:
    1. Something Like... series by Jay Bell
    -This series begins with Something Like Summer and is the story of two boys in high school falling in love. It follows them throughout their lives, as they go to college and beyond. The second novel tells the story from a different perspective, as doe the third novel. It sounds like it can be repetitive, but it's incredibly good. I'd even recommend starting with the third novel (Something Like Autumn) if you can avoid spoilers. You won't be missing anything, and it's my favorite out of the four I've read.
    2. Call Me By Your Name by Andre Aciman
    -The film got a lot of flack for the themes in this, and I'll admit I haven't seen it yet. But I really enjoyed the book and the relationship in it didn't feel pedophile-ish. It felt like a teenager who had a summer crush and that's all it was - a summer fling that was exciting and new. To me it felt very real to the gay experience, and I appreciated that.

6. Captain Jigglypuff

Love, Simon and Moonlight are also good movies with gay themes. Both have an excellent cast and a good plot that has substance to the films.

The planning of my drag show to raise money for Relay For Life is going pretty well so far. I have a few performers interested in helping me perform, I got a location that is willing to host the event, and I even found a DJ that would be interested in providing the music and sound system. And my local PFLAG said they co be co-sponsors and help fund with anything I need help with. The date I want to have for the show is definitely Mother’s Day weekend next year.

7. Morton Belgram

Morton Belgram Well-Known Member

I would like to join this alliance :)

8. Manchee

Manchee extra toasty

I started to watch Love, Simon and had to stop because of how cheesy it was. Sometimes I'm alright with that in a gay movie (there's one on Netflix called Alex Strangelove or something similar that is definitely cheesy but I found it to be bearable) but it was too... Disney, I guess, in Love, Simon? Like it felt very commercial and idealistic. But, knowing the source material that it's based on, I wasn't very surprised. Moonlight is one that I really want to still check out.

9. 000Kieran000

000Kieran000 The Chromatic Dragon

Welcome :)

10. Zora

Zora Who dies first?

I watched Love, Simon because I was visiting my bf when it was in theaters and it was like the only time we could have a date with a gay romance movie.

It's... alright? I have a hard time explaining why I watched this film that doesn't amount to 'it's gay, and I'm hungry for good gay films.' Much better than this one gay mafia movie my bf and I found on Netflix which was... awful.

11. Manchee

Manchee extra toasty

Check out Prayer's For Bobby if you two get the chance! It's like eight years old at this point but it was a Lifetime movie with Sigourney Weaver in it - shouldn't be too hard to find! It's sad, but in my opinion it's worth watching.

12. Captain Jigglypuff

That is a good movie.

Am I the only one that wants to see Coco Montrese beating up Donald Trump for stealing her make up?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018 at 1:58 PM
  13. Morton Belgram

Morton Belgram Well-Known Member

Thanks :) I think people should be welcome to be with whoever they want, as long as they do not harm others.