• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual Alliance Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
So In Alberta, Canada, they're trying to make it legal for catholic schools to out their students to their parents if they know they go to a GSA at school. I think it is messed up and the United Conservative Party needs to die (figuratively of course, no condoning violence). Luckily I live two provinces over from there :D

Hydrangea

Just a creature
Staff member
So In Alberta, Canada, they're trying to make it legal for catholic schools to out their students to their parents if they know they go to a GSA at school. I think it is messed up and the United Conservative Party needs to die (figuratively of course, no condoning violence). Luckily I live two provinces over from there :D
As a teacher in training and member of the Alberta Teacher's Association I can actually say that our teachers have said this is a huge no and we have been taught in our education classes that it is not justifiable to ever disclose anything that has been told to you in confidence by your students unless they are posing a direct threat to themselves or their peers. (Such as a student talking about killing themselves or threatening violence). A sexual orientation/gender orientation isn't considered harmful by any means and students deserve to have their privacy without worrying about their parents involvement. We're supposed to make students feel safe in a classroom/school setting, ESPECIALLY when they feel unsafe at home.

TL;DR: Alberta sucks but like... don't worry. Us liberal teachers are working on it.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
As a teacher in training and member of the Alberta Teacher's Association I can actually say that our teachers have said this is a huge no and we have been taught in our education classes that it is not justifiable to ever disclose anything that has been told to you in confidence by your students unless they are posing a direct threat to themselves or their peers. (Such as a student talking about killing themselves or threatening violence). A sexual orientation/gender orientation isn't considered harmful by any means and students deserve to have their privacy without worrying about their parents involvement. We're supposed to make students feel safe in a classroom/school setting, ESPECIALLY when they feel unsafe at home.

TL;DR: Alberta sucks but like... don't worry. Us liberal teachers are working on it.
Thankyou that honestly makes me feel better about it, I've been checking the news every few hours to see if the court made up their mind. Since I work with incredibly religious people who have no worries with telling me that LGBT aren't something they support, in reaction, I've been really sensitive to lgbt issues right now.

I think on Monday I am going to go into work and come out and tell them if they don't like it that much I can leave, but that they know nothing about lgbt rights as shown from conversations in the office, and either I can teach them that lgbt aren't evil, or they can stay ignorant in their own ways, but without me in their life to help them in the office, they'll be screwed on upcoming projects and accounting. But I don't want them to think I am coercing them into learning about lgbt... idk.. does anyone have any help for me for this?

Manchee

extra toasty
I think on Monday I am going to go into work and come out and tell them if they don't like it that much I can leave, but that they know nothing about lgbt rights as shown from conversations in the office, and either I can teach them that lgbt aren't evil, or they can stay ignorant in their own ways, but without me in their life to help them in the office, they'll be screwed on upcoming projects and accounting. But I don't want them to think I am coercing them into learning about lgbt... idk.. does anyone have any help for me for this?

That sounds like a really irrational move. It's more professional to report any conversations to higher-ups/corporate and see if they will take action. Or use your knowledge to explain to them calmly what LGBT+ lifestyle is all about and showing them that it's not a taboo or weird thing. Blowing up and making a big scene out of it isn't going to help anyone, and they may be screwed in the short term, but eventually they would hire someone else, move on, and still not know any better.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I find it hypocritical that a school would even allow to have a GSA and can Out students to their parents. GSA is supposed to be a safe zone for students and confidential. Why allow the students have one if you are going use it in a form of a trap?

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
That sounds like a really irrational move. It's more professional to report any conversations to higher-ups/corporate and see if they will take action. Or use your knowledge to explain to them calmly what LGBT+ lifestyle is all about and showing them that it's not a taboo or weird thing. Blowing up and making a big scene out of it isn't going to help anyone, and they may be screwed in the short term, but eventually they would hire someone else, move on, and still not know any better.
They are the higher-ups unfortunately, it's their company so I would have no one else to talk to. The boss's wife, who retired quickly after I came out to her, let me know she thought I was mentally ill and once I find god and marry a woman I will be happy forever, so that's off the table also. I agree that when I said "I am going to go into work and come out and tell them if they don't like it that much I can leave" is irrational, I should have explained further that I would say that I would leave as a last resort, that is if they say they aren't willing to respect me for who I am and what not, even though I can't see them doing exactly that. First I would let them know that I have to be my authentic self and that I can't work somewhere that I don't feel validated or a place where I get anxiety for speaking about my daily life. Then in the worst case scenario, let them know I can't deal with it anymore. It's only four of us in the office and one already knows and totally supports me, so I shouldn't feel such anxiety about it, but I haven't had trouble like this coming out before in such a long time, over 10 years now, and I've worked there for so long too that I should feel comfortable.

I think staying in the right mind is the issue I am most afraid of, I think I'll just over react at the non-acceptance and that scares me even more. I haven't really dealt with too many people who are like this, so I have been really been thrown for a loop, but I'm happy because it's reminded me of why I am grateful to live in Canada and hopefully make me better at dealing with these situations initially before I get to these feelings (silver lining).

Manchee

extra toasty
I find it hypocritical that a school would even allow to have a GSA and can Out students to their parents. GSA is supposed to be a safe zone for students and confidential. Why allow the students have one if you are going use it in a form of a trap?

Welcome to (some groups of) religion!

They are the higher-ups unfortunately, it's their company so I would have no one else to talk to. The boss's wife, who retired quickly after I came out to her, let me know she thought I was mentally ill and once I find god and marry a woman I will be happy forever, so that's off the table also. I agree that when I said "I am going to go into work and come out and tell them if they don't like it that much I can leave" is irrational, I should have explained further that I would say that I would leave as a last resort, that is if they say they aren't willing to respect me for who I am and what not, even though I can't see them doing exactly that. First I would let them know that I have to be my authentic self and that I can't work somewhere that I don't feel validated or a place where I get anxiety for speaking about my daily life. Then in the worst case scenario, let them know I can't deal with it anymore. It's only four of us in the office and one already knows and totally supports me, so I shouldn't feel such anxiety about it, but I haven't had trouble like this coming out before in such a long time, over 10 years now, and I've worked there for so long too that I should feel comfortable.

I think staying in the right mind is the issue I am most afraid of, I think I'll just over react at the non-acceptance and that scares me even more. I haven't really dealt with too many people who are like this, so I have been really been thrown for a loop, but I'm happy because it's reminded me of why I am grateful to live in Canada and hopefully make me better at dealing with these situations initially before I get to these feelings (silver lining).

Okay, that makes more sense. Still, it is good to be aware that you want to stay in the right mind. That is very important, and you don't want to put yourself in a possibly dangerous situation. If it really comes down to you having to leave, if you're in a liberal area or connected to liberal groups, you can always out whoever you work for as being non-accepting of the LGBT+ population and hope they lose business/etc. for it.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
The guy I’ve been talking to online and I agreed that we work better as friends. So I’m still single but at least I have someone to talk to and hang out with. It feels more natural that way and if we were dating, the stairs that lead up to the main part of my apartment unit would have been a major issue considering he has cerebral palsy and uses a motorized wheelchair to get around and he could never visit me.

I learned of an easy way for me to stone a mesh jumpsuit so it looks sparkly and reminiscent of the disco era. I have a silver sequined belt I’m going to use with the outfit along with the white leotard and leggings I have and the silver glitter and rhinestone pumps I bought months ago.

000Kieran000

The Chromatic Dragon
I'm a gay man, I have known I was gay since I was 13. Naturally, i got bullied in school because of this, luckily my best friend at the time (who remains my best and closest friend to this day) usually stuck up for me and protected me, school was awful for me, it made me re-closet myself for the 3 years of college, now, im 21 and not really bothered by what people think of me, I don't usually tell people I'm gay as they generally get to know this as we get to know eachother. They also usuallt guess when i mention I'm a pole dancer lmao.

If anyone wants to talk to me, start a conversation with me or message me on discord/skype

000Kieran000

The Chromatic Dragon
I've been sorta wanting to post here for a while now, but I hesitated since I have no idea what my sexuality is. So that's why I decided it was worth a post here.

If I'm really honest, I'm probably too young to have a good grasp of my sexuality - that is, if 13 is young - but I see all these kids who are like "oh I'm ____" who are like two years younger than me and sometimes I just feel like I should have better knowledge of what my sexuality is than I currently do. The thing is, I haven't got much interest in a relationship, yet I still find people attractive (not sexually whatsoever as well). I also don't know if the attraction I feel is simply a more platonic type - one of admiration and inspiration - or a more romantic type - of wanting to be with that person. I also don't want to decide on my sexuality too early, since I could say "I'm a lesbian" but then realise I'm actually bisexual later in life. I think I'd just like to be here as both a support to all of the awesome people in this club and to see if anyone can help on what my feelings actually are.

Honestly it develops with time, You just got to let it happen naturally, its one of those things that you cant rush, give it a year or two, and you'll know what you are. You'll start developing attraction to males or females, or both, I found out I was because I had a crush on my best friends brother during school lol

NebulaDreams

A Dense Irritating Miniature Beast of Burden
Bi here. After returning home from a 5 month exchange period, I've found it hard adjusting to the UK again, especially in a small city where there isn't much of an LGBT community. I managed to meet another gay guy through Meetup and he seemed to echo my concerns about the lack of a gay scene, outside of an LGBT bar in the centre that doesn't get a lot of traffic. I don't really know where to look and I'm a bit sceptical of online dating.

000Kieran000

The Chromatic Dragon
Bi here. After returning home from a 5 month exchange period, I've found it hard adjusting to the UK again, especially in a small city where there isn't much of an LGBT community. I managed to meet another gay guy through Meetup and he seemed to echo my concerns about the lack of a gay scene, outside of an LGBT bar in the centre that doesn't get a lot of traffic. I don't really know where to look and I'm a bit sceptical of online dating.
I'm from the UK too, North East, Luckily we have a few up here. theres a few websites where you can talk to others, that helped me a lot when I was growing up

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think I came up with a really good way to raise money for cancer research. It is to put on a drag show event with a main theme of Hope During the Fight Against Cancer. Every performer has at least two songs they can do, one is any song of their choice but the other has to be about hope or caring and loving someone during a rough time. My song I was thinking for this theme would be Pretenders’ I’ll Stand By You. Then I was thinking of ending the show with all the performers performing the song That’s What Friends Are For and letting the audience sing along if they choose. I think that would be the perfect way to end such a show. Doing something like this is very personal and important for me. I just need help organizing it and putting it together.

Manchee

extra toasty
I think I came up with a really good way to raise money for cancer research. It is to put on a drag show event with a main theme of Hope During the Fight Against Cancer. Every performer has at least two songs they can do, one is any song of their choice but the other has to be about hope or caring and loving someone during a rough time. My song I was thinking for this theme would be Pretenders’ I’ll Stand By You. Then I was thinking of ending the show with all the performers performing the song That’s What Friends Are For and letting the audience sing along if they choose. I think that would be the perfect way to end such a show. Doing something like this is very personal and important for me. I just need help organizing it and putting it together.

How would that raise money? It's all good to put on a show, but do people have to pay for tickets? They might not think it's worth it if the show isn't well-done. Will you have all tips to performing queens be donated? That means everyone will have to perform for free or you have to pay them yourself. TBH the LGBT+ community is more organized around benefits that go towards HIV/AIDS or raising money for things within the community. To put together a whole show for cancer research (also, "cancer research" is a very vague cause when trying to raise money) by drag queens, it'll be a lot of work to get much of anything as a donation.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I have one drag queen who is a professional that is willing to help. All the tips will go to charity and I will also have a basket raffle that people can buy tickets for and have those pay for the booking. Two queens I’ve contacted are very interested in helping me and love the idea. Oh and by the way, plenty of drag queens do charity shows and not expect payment. My first show was for charity and we had local professional queens performing for charity.

000Kieran000

The Chromatic Dragon
How would that raise money? It's all good to put on a show, but do people have to pay for tickets? They might not think it's worth it if the show isn't well-done. Will you have all tips to performing queens be donated? That means everyone will have to perform for free or you have to pay them yourself. TBH the LGBT+ community is more organized around benefits that go towards HIV/AIDS or raising money for things within the community. To put together a whole show for cancer research (also, "cancer research" is a very vague cause when trying to raise money) by drag queens, it'll be a lot of work to get much of anything as a donation.

I have one drag queen who is a professional that is willing to help. All the tips will go to charity and I will also have a basket raffle that people can buy tickets for and have those pay for the booking. Two queens I’ve contacted are very interested in helping me and love the idea. Oh and by the way, plenty of drag queens do charity shows and not expect payment. My first show was for charity and we had local professional queens performing for charity.

I must say I agree with Manchee here, It's all good to put on a show, but do people have to pay for tickets? They might not think it's worth it if the show isn't well-done. Will you have all tips to performing queens be donated? That means everyone will have to perform for free or you have to pay them yourself. TBH the LGBT+ community is more organized around benefits that go towards HIV/AIDS or raising money for things within the community. To put together a whole show for cancer research (also, "cancer research" is a very vague cause when trying to raise money) by drag queens, it'll be a lot of work to get much of anything as a donation.[/QUOTE]
That's a good point, If the show isn't up to par in the audiences eyes, and everything isn't pulled off perfectly it won't raise much. Perhaps the drag act could be a mini sideshow as part of a larger, more well sought show? a lot of the heterosexual community don't tend to go to drag acts, only really LGBT+ community mainly go, I think it could work well as a side act, but not as a main act, that's just my opinion.

Manchee

extra toasty

I know many do charity shows and do not expect payment, I'm just being realistic about it. You posted about a "really good way to raise money for cancer research" but it didn't sound well thought-out, so I was asking questions to get more clarification and hope that you have it planned better. It would suck to see something that is for a good cause flop if these things aren't put together decently. I would love to hear that something like this is successful, and I hope that you can pull it off. From what you posted, it sounded very vague and like something that would raise maybe a few hundred dollars in the end.

Speaking of drag, my friends and I watched the finale for Drag Race last night and I'm so happy that Aquaria managed to pull off a win. I was totally expecting Eureka to win because of how much the season seemed tailored to put her all the way through without having to do much of anything skillfully. I think she's a great queen, but I thought that Aquaria did leaps and bounds better throughout the entire season.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I know many do charity shows and do not expect payment, I'm just being realistic about it. You posted about a "really good way to raise money for cancer research" but it didn't sound well thought-out, so I was asking questions to get more clarification and hope that you have it planned better. It would suck to see something that is for a good cause flop if these things aren't put together decently. I would love to hear that something like this is successful, and I hope that you can pull it off. From what you posted, it sounded very vague and like something that would raise maybe a few hundred dollars in the end.

Speaking of drag, my friends and I watched the finale for Drag Race last night and I'm so happy that Aquaria managed to pull off a win. I was totally expecting Eureka to win because of how much the season seemed tailored to put her all the way through without having to do much of anything skillfully. I think she's a great queen, but I thought that Aquaria did leaps and bounds better throughout the entire season.

I. Contacted two other performers who could help me and not expect payment. I am thinking this. Out. I didn’t tell the first professional queen that I was definitely going to book her. I’m trying to keep options open for now aand just starting the planning stage.

I’m annoyed with the fact NYC won for the third time in a row. I don’t mind Aquaria winning and I like heer annd the other NYC queens but I feel over saturated with them now. It seems the NYC are automatically the ones fans rave about and say will win that queens from other areas and cities who are just as equally fierce get pushed aside. Literaally every NYC queen but two in thee Top Four always win. It’s like there is a bias towards any queen from that area. People told me that NYC Has such a huge amount of queens and that’s where they all go to get exposure. I’m not moving NYC to get onto the show and try to win. I want to represent my area which does have very talented queens and also home to some very well known people. NYC winning Drag Race is basically equivalent to the Patriots in the Super Bowl. Ru might as well give the crown to the veery first NYC queen to walk into the workroom next season and just skip. Theee rest of the season.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I must say I agree with Manchee here, It's all good to put on a show, but do people have to pay for tickets? They might not think it's worth it if the show isn't well-done. Will you have all tips to performing queens be donated? That means everyone will have to perform for free or you have to pay them yourself. TBH the LGBT+ community is more organized around benefits that go towards HIV/AIDS or raising money for things within the community. To put together a whole show for cancer research (also, "cancer research" is a very vague cause when trying to raise money) by drag queens, it'll be a lot of work to get much of anything as a donation.

[/QUOTE]

People, he isn't claiming he's going to end Cancer or anything, he's just going to do something he loves to do, and any money raised by it will go to fundraising. Not a specified amount, just going to donate. No need to rip apart an idea that works fine in making people happy and lets them give.

I. Contacted two other performers who could help me and not expect payment. I am thinking this. Out. I didn’t tell the first professional queen that I was definitely going to book her. I’m trying to keep options open for now aand just starting the planning stage.

I’m annoyed with the fact NYC won for the third time in a row. I don’t mind Aquaria winning and I like heer annd the other NYC queens but I feel over saturated with them now. It seems the NYC are automatically the ones fans rave about and say will win that queens from other areas and cities who are just as equally fierce get pushed aside. Literaally every NYC queen but two in thee Top Four always win. It’s like there is a bias towards any queen from that area. People told me that NYC Has such a huge amount of queens and that’s where they all go to get exposure. I’m not moving NYC to get onto the show and try to win. I want to represent my area which does have very talented queens and also home to some very well known people. NYC winning Drag Race is basically equivalent to the Patriots in the Super Bowl. Ru might as well give the crown to the veery first NYC queen to walk into the workroom next season and just skip. Theee rest of the season.

Ah I have such an opinion onthis. I really love Aquaria, she's young yet fierce, and such a firecracker on stage, but I almost feel like they set it up for her to win, or like they hinted at it all season with her getting a lot of the screen time, BUT Eureka really had a chance there. I am not sure what happened there though, I really thought it was 50/50. Eureka almost needed more stage presence and then her 4 reveal outfit would have been that much better, even though it was already magnificent. Asia's was unfortunately a let down, not sure what kind of research went into that performance but maybe a butterfly expert could have helped lol. I think it could have been nice, although it was obvious she was just waiting for her Butterfly moment to make her win, but it didn't work so she lost.

Did anyone honestly expect Kameron Michael to win? I didn't, but I knew she'd knock a ***** out!

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I felt bad how Asia was eliminated. She didn’t deserve to be eliminated because of the butterfly malfunction which is sort of an interesting coincidence since it was during a Janet Jackson song. The craziest thing this season for me was predicting four songs in the season three of them in a row. But yeah I feel NYC queens are favored a bit way too much over queens from other areas. Even on FB 90% of fans I noticed in groups raved on how talented Aquaria and Miz Cracker were and how they were going to win while rarely giving The Vixen any attention that wasn’t negative or even Eureka. Most of them were saying Eureka was loud and annoying and if she won it would be only because she’s a big girl and big girls don’t win Drag Race and wouldn’t deserve the win.

Seriously, one guy on FB kept saying I was saying Eureka deserved to win only because her size when he said it himself. He said and I quote, “It’s not America’s Next Elephant Queen.” I called him out for fat shaming Eureka and said this is precisely why eating disorders are so common now and that Eureka should be applauded for refusing to conform to society’s harmful standards of beauty. I never said. Eureka deserved to win because of that. Oh and the same guy claimed to love Eureka and. That she was beautiful inside and out yet called her an elephant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.