• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Gender Double Standard

No no no. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Dragonfree did a great job reiterating what I said. I was using teaching and nursing as an example. There's no doubt that those sectors are female dominated. I'm not saying that it's all "women's work". The example I'm using provides insight to the devaluation of women in the workforce due to lower pay. Like I said, the more women in the job, the less payment its workers get. Maybe public sector jobs are undervalued due to the types of people filling those positions?

Well teaching is a profession that has generally been undervalued throughout time. I really don't think it's because women work there.

It's also slightly controversial to do so, but could women be "undervalued" in these jobs simply because they're not really required to be particularly skilled? The general fact is, pretty much anyone can teach at a level below high school (where the numbers are roughly 55-45 on the side of women), and Nursing cannot be that complex a profession to learn (though here in the U.K people are now going to be required I think to be educated to a degree level).
A Nursery School teacher is little more than a glorified babysitter. They're important yes, but they're hardly the most skilled workers in the country (be they men or women).

Where? Men are still represented everywhere in government and media at disproportionate levels. If you're talking about advertising, it's harmful to everyone.

Hardly. Here are just a few examples of how the advertising world especially treats men like morons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXrXdJzTrKk&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz5v_r2KO-4

This one probably being the most horrible of all.

http://s723.photobucket.com/albums/...rrent=misandristcommercial-husbandshownas.mp4

This guy is a complete tool, but he grasps one or two worthwhile points

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptv15wYNH4c&feature=related

This is also a fantastic example highlighting many of the things that hinder women in our society.

http://brightonmanplan.wordpress.com/2010/12/29/is-boots-ad-sexist/

There's also the way the media reports on issues such as this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUuKHiWKAZY&feature=player_embedded

In many sitcoms we also often have to suffer the standard poor treatment of women by men, and look to sympathise with the woman.

The worrying thing here is that I really don't want to come across as hating women. I really don't. However, I do think that feminism is losing its ideals, and that many women are growing up with the wrong ideals and beliefs as to what will improve the stature of their sex. Indeed, I think that intelligent women should simply try to take it out of the equation. It does them no favours.

Last edited:

Missingno
I agree with you. I'm a girl, and if I walk up to a boy at school and randomly start hitting him, I should expect the same disciplinary measures to be taken if it were the opposite way around. Yes, many women are growing up with the wrong ideas. In school, the girls often say bad things about a specific boy while he's sitting right there, but boys don't do that. Wonder why. (NOT!)
If you're a girl and a guy hits you, your mother will tell you to hit him back. You will not get in trouble and he probably will. But if you're a guy and a girl hits you, whether or not she hits you hard and whether or not she can hit at all, if you hit her back everyone says you're a bully or a coward or both. Why? Because people think girls are weaker. But with all this equal rights stuff, that shouldn't be the case. Yes, physically, but if someone walks up to you and hits you, you are entitled to hit them back (if it's a tiny kid, then obviously no) regardless of sex.
About this "women's work" stuff, has anyone noticed that nowadays, most elementary school teachers (I SAID MOST) are women?
This "feminazi" thing is new to me, but it rings true.
Posted by ChaosEmperor
cause the feminazis (i didnt say feminist, i said feminazi) will not stop til they control the whole world. regular feminists, if there are any left, would be content with equality.

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
About this "women's work" stuff, has anyone noticed that nowadays, most elementary school teachers (I SAID MOST) are women?
Yeah, it's like that in my nation too.

Smokay

Let madness take you
so we got a troll/flamer here?

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
How is that trolling? If women do want full equality, they should then undertake ALL jobs and responsibilities that men do.

Also, women are, generally speaking, physically weaker than men. Men develop muscle mass in puberty, women do not. Obviosuly, there be exceptions, but they are just that, exceptions.

How is that trolling? If women do want full equality, they should then undertake ALL jobs and responsibilities that men do.

Also, women are, generally speaking, physically weaker than men. Men develop muscle mass in puberty, women do not. Obviosuly, there be exceptions, but they are just that, exceptions.

Pretty much this.

They perfectly well DO want to get to undertake all responsibilities of men. It's the media and biases that sometimes prevent them from that. Thus, it isn't their fault they aren't getting those responsibilities. However, I do not agree with the so-called "feminazis" that want to ignore men's wishes and think their lives are getting better, nor do I agree with the same thing with the opposite sex. I believe equality is not domination.

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
I'm sure they'd love to get drafted.
I'm sure they'd love to never get pregnant.
I'm sure firefighters love when they're trapped under burning debris and some weakass women can't pull them out.

I wouldn't say I would be eager to go to war, however I accept it as a possible condition for being here.
Biological factors must be taken on the chin; I'm not looking forward to aging, but it will happen. Also, this era is has plenty of options to avoid pregnancy.
Women can build up their muscle mass if they enter a physically intense job.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
I'm sure they'd love to get drafted.
I'm sure they'd love to never get pregnant.
I'm sure firefighters love when they're trapped under burning debris and some weakass women can't pull them out.
Well no I wouldn't think they would be happy when a weak male can't do it either! You do realize there is a strength requirement to become a fire fighter. Most firefighters would be hard pressed to carry my 300 lbs out of a fire! In fact, I personally know a fireman who couldn't.

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
You do realize this was deemed gender discrimination (it's a federal job) so it had to be reduced for women.

OMG, really? wow, that's just fail.

Ioneos

old geezer
Well i feel that females should have more power in this crazy world we live in. Males have mostly the most power, most income, and the most respect in this society. Only men have been presidents (of the US) and so because we are so used to a male dominant society, we are a bit suprised when a female gets their way. I think that females should be treated equally, but not necessarily greater than males.

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
I agree there is alot of double standards when it comes to genders, but it's pretty much anything in the world.

What grinds me is how a woman can easily win a custody battle by just saying "I am her/his mother"

No, no that excuse should not work otherwise fathers should able to get away with it as well. I get it, women carry the baby for nine months and then have to go through unimaginable pain to get the kid out.

But that shouldn't make a man lose his child (And don't get me started with a woman taking a man's house despite he was the one who originally lived there, and despite whoever was responsible for the relationship ending or causing it to end they still get it). Last time I checked the court normally looks to see if you are a fit parent, but it seems the court these days probably wouldn't care if the mother was a drug induced, cheating, abusive wife while the man was a good citizen with great performance dealing with kids.

But yet people assume that a woman should get the custody of the child solely on the fact she's a woman, not only that but get his house and practically anything he owned. (Not saying good mothers have never lost a custody, I am sure there are mothers, who actually deserve to keep their kid who have lost the custody battle to a jerk husband, but it seems mothers win more)

Geekachu

I don't think the act of taking those jobs is important, because that's inforcing a PC conscience upon a female, and thus acknowledges the supposed sexism present in society.

As you mention, biologically, women are weaker than men, so at the end of the day I think these movements can burn their bras (stereotypical, I know) all they like but at the end of the day there are still going to be restrictions within employment- and biological restrictions which are out of our control.

What grinds me is how a woman can easily win a custody battle by just saying "I am her/his mother"

Whilst I couldn't say that all courtroom settlements would be this shallow and submissive to social stigmas, I would agree that the said stigma of a more trustworthy, maternal mother should be removed.

As you say, any social bias in custody battles should be removed, and even feminist groups should acknowledge this since it treats women as if they have an unfair disadvantage. This is why I feel that movements of feminism should acknowledge the things in society which treat women too fairly, and not just the things which treat women unfairly.

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
I think that this:

"If someone hits you, hit them back"

One of the things I live by, and it seems ridiculous how some women get away with hitting men. I got some utter crap when I did just that to a girl. Ridiculous.

Women and men should be equal, and to do that means people can hit each other when they "feel" like it, regardless of gender.

emboarrocks

#1 emboar fan
i follow this logic : if someone hits me, i hit them back harder REGARDLESS OF GENDER. being "weak" does not give women the right to do something bad and not get properly punished for it.