• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Genres We Dislike

Palamon

Silence is Purple
This is a thread to discuss the genres we don't like in the anime world. Staff, feel free to lock this if not worth a thread for. Anyway, what are some genres in anime you don't like and why? Please, be honest and be subtle.

---

Sports. Sorry, I'm not a sports girl. They're very boring to me and I can't even sit through one. I liked Prince of Tennis to some degree, but one tennis match took up three episodes. I'm not interested in that kind of thing, sorry.

Mecha. I don't like seeing robots, in all due respect, blowing stuff up. It's off-putting for me and not fun to watch. Count me out.

Pure comedy. Without any genres to back it up, pure comedy is not enough to keep an anime afloat for me, sorry. Slice of life comedies are fine, but not of my tastes, either unless I'm in a really bad mood.

GENRES I USED TO HATE, BUT NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE:

*Slice of Life.

I used to really dislike this genre. I like action. Slice of Life tend to be very boring to me because I need something like fantasy or supernatural to happen to keep me interested. But, then I found something called Lucky Star (something that's very controversial in the anime world). That anime taught me that slice of life aren't all that bad.

*Pure Action.

Pure action without any genres to back it up. I don't even know what I had in me to hate pure action, but Black Lagoon said otherwise, and I ended taking back my hate for it.

---

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
meh i don't think there's any offense in creating this, we're free to expresss our opinions as long we don't harm anyone

anyway mine would probably be

drama - well you know those comedy and romance anime usually has to involve a lot of drama - not saying i hate drama, just don't want it to spill so much

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Chihayafuru is the best sports anime.

Now this is going to probably sound weird since I love Gurren Lagann and Gunbuster and stuff... but for the most part I don't really enjoy space mecha anime. Or a large portion of mecha anime. Usually it's gotta slowly get me into it or have something else going on that catches my attention. Space I prefer to be left until the final climactic battle.
Now I'm completely open to the possibility that I just haven't seen enough of the genre, or the classics, but most of it (mainly Gundam) I just don't feel interested in.

That's not really a dislike though, that's just a not like. Neutral. I won't pick it to watch.

90% of Harems are crap I guess. Or the light-novel-with-a-long-name genre, if that's even a genre.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Hentai.

Not a big fan of harem anime regardless of it sometimes being attached to the romance genre. According to MALgraph, the one harem anime I scored higher than the others was H2O: Footprints in the Sand, even though I personally liked Mangaka-san to Assistant-san The Animation despite it totally escaped me that it was a harem. I'm not sure if there's any really good harem anime out there anyway, and yet I seem to pick one up every now and then because something about the synopsis attracts me or whatever.

I also can't seem to get into martial arts anime that well, either. Which is shocking because I've been watching Dragon Ball, but I've rarely ever enjoyed anything martial arts; Kung Fu Panda's the only one that managed to suck me in despite it being a martial arts movie. Sure, Dragon Ball has its moments, but dear Lord does the anime drag things out. I can literally feel every minute watching an episode, which is why I drag my feet on it.

And in the same vein as martial arts, I'm not that big of a fan of action either, but there's been pretty good ones I've seen that I guess I'm not as bored with them as I thought. Then again, it seems a lot of 80s and 90s anime fell under that category (particularly the OVAs), and yet I can't bring myself to give them a higher score since I tend to look at story and characters more than I do its delivery at times--and sometimes my enjoyment. Like recently, I watched the first six OVA episodes of The Guyver, but I only scored it a "6" because it had weird pacing, I couldn't exactly glean the story at times, and the characters were dulllllll with a pretty whiny main lead, but unlike another whiny protagonist we all know and love to hate, he at least didn't back away from his duty to save his blank-canvas totally-not-girlfriend-but-apparently-she's-his-girlfriend girlfriend and best friend who's the brother of said-girlfriend who's probably gay for him. Also, the bad 90s dub gave one of the bad guys the impression he's channeling Christian Bale's Batman before it was cool to do an impression of it.

Last edited:

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
That one anime with the baseball player that wore a bra for no reason and started thrusting his junk towards the bad guy... What genre would you call that? Pure comedy? If so, that. I guess there were some funny moments, but really, I couldn't wait until it ended. What the hell was up with the girls stripping each other and whatnot? So stupid.

Nodame

Misty <3
I hate ecchi, harem, yaoi, yuri. I also don't like Mecha except for Evangelion which I absolutely love.

Xionea

Half a centaur
I really really hate mecha. I've expressed this multiple times on this forum alone, but that's only a fraction of how much I point it out. I've tried to get into it, but every mecha anime I've tried I've given up on, EXCEPT ONE. Aldnoah.Zero. That one caught me by surprise and became my favorite anime. I may hate mecha with a burning passion, but I can make that one exception.

I also don't really like typical sports anime, but the sports genre is a little broad. I do, oddly enough, enjoy swimming anime. That means I don't really like baseball, basketball, tennis, etc.

I guess I don't like yaoi either. But it's not like I've actually tried it. I don't plan to, either.

Prince Umbreon

Starfish and Coffee
Pretty much any harem, hentai/yuri/yaoi. Romance in general isn't usually my cup of tea anyway (though those that at least have some interesting supernatural stuff and comedy are usually the main exception. As in Fruits Basket and Angel Beats). Sooo if an anime is all sickening romance and drama (and that other stuff), I'll switch it off by the third episode.

Also mecha. Lots of technology is fine, high powered weapons and vehicles are fine, but giant flying robots are just.. Eh.

It might partly be because I can't draw robots or mechas worth squat (nor do I find them all that appealing to begin with), and I like being able to make art based from anime I enjoy. If I don't appreciate the art or character design, I probably won't be too big a fan of the anime.

MonMonCandie

Radio - On Air!
^ I honestly love supernatural genre, but this isn't the place for that. :p

Anyways! I'm not too fond of over-the-top ecchi. Fan-service is nice and all depending on how you personally interpret 'fan-service', but most of the time, I just find it annoying unless it's done tastefully. Otherwise, I end up passing an anime for another... Harem anime is another, but there are exceptions. The ones I don't really like are the harem and that pretty much tie in with the ecchi genre.

...If I remember a few more, I might come back and edit my post. I just can't think at the moment. Haha.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
I really really hate mecha. I've expressed this multiple times on this forum alone, but that's only a fraction of how much I point it out. I've tried to get into it, but every mecha anime I've tried I've given up on, EXCEPT ONE. Aldnoah.Zero. That one caught me by surprise and became my favorite anime. I may hate mecha with a burning passion, but I can make that one exception.

I also don't really like typical sports anime, but the sports genre is a little broad. I do, oddly enough, enjoy swimming anime. That means I don't really like baseball, basketball, tennis, etc.

I guess I don't like yaoi either. But it's not like I've actually tried it. I don't plan to, either.

This is pretty much me. Only "mecha" anime I've ever really liked we Kiddy Grade. I've seen the classic like the orginal Gundam, Big O, and such but couldn't get into at all.

I don't necessarily hate sports anime, having watched things like Teekyuu and Softenni (or maybe I just like tennis >.>) but I don't care too much for them. I need to get around to watching loli basketball though

CuriousHeartless

With one exception (The World God Only Knows), I hate harem anime. The main character is almost always so boring that it's annoying, the love interests have some semblance of personality but are rarely all that good, and they have a bad tendency towards mean-spirited humor. I also think the genre screws itself up with what it can do with endings. Unless it really plays around with the genre, then it either has to have an ambiguous ending where no girl is chosen so the whole show was pointless, the guy pulls an 'I love you all' which still isn't an actual resolution, or he picks a girl which either comes out of nowhere for why he chose that specific girl or was obviously being set-up which makes the multiple love interests pointless.

I also don't like the weirdly high number of incest romance anime. That is for obvious reasons.

Not a genre, but I dislike things that are anti-hero versus villain with no real moral center. I like flawed heroes who can dip towards moral ambiguity at times, but I still prefer to be able to generally cheer for them.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I also don't like the weirdly high number of incest romance anime. That is for obvious reasons.

How did I forget this? Yeah, all of the incest creeps me out, even if the shows pull a "fast" one on us and say, "Ooh, nevermind, they're not related after all, ha ha!" to make it all better. The only one that actually held my attention and got me invested in the story and characters was Koi Kaze, if only because it portrayed incest realistically. Even Ceres: Celestial Legend (I have of yet to watch the anime adaptation, but I finished the manga recently) did it in a way that didn't portray it in a good light.

I just don't get this rising trend in incest anime/pairings at all; what, is it because it's taboo? It's creepy.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
With one exception (The World God Only Knows), I hate harem anime. The main character is almost always so boring that it's annoying, the love interests have some semblance of personality but are rarely all that good, and they have a bad tendency towards mean-spirited humor.
You should try To Love-ru. It's like, the only running harem series that actually has a progressing story. It's 4th season is also on the way which is almost unheard of for a harem series.
How did I forget this? Yeah, all of the incest creeps me out, even if the shows pull a "fast" one on us and say, "Ooh, nevermind, they're not related after all, ha ha!" to make it all better. The only one that actually held my attention and got me invested in the story and characters was Koi Kaze, if only because it portrayed incest realistically. Even Ceres: Celestial Legend (I have of yet to watch the anime adaptation, but I finished the manga recently) did it in a way that didn't portray it in a good light.
You should watch KissxSis hehe

phanpycross

God-king
I Used to love transformers and stuff when I were younger, but nowadays Im honestly just sick to death of giant robots. Not sure why tbh, maybe just the Bay-movies and the general overhype around the genre.

And incest animes creep me the hell out, I just cant watch it without wanting to tear my hair out and calling the cops lol.

Cerrik

Ooo, what up with the mecha hate?

Eh, anyway~ I don't like yaoi, just a personal preference. Also all harem except for maybe 1 show... I think.

Vernikova

Champion
All of them have the potential to be good and have good series within them.

With that said, I prefer none.