• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Ghost At Maiden's Peak (020)

Leonhart

Imagineer
It was pretty creepy and Venastoise looked both amazing and hilarious lol. I thought the dance scene at the end of the episode was pretty cute.

In truth, I actually found Fushigix's design to be more comical than cool. And as for the dance segment at the end of the episode, I was glad that we saw a traditional Japanese ondo being performed. Kasumi being shown with her hair down was a first I believe, so that was a nice bonus, too.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Funny how James didn't seem to ever like girls except in this episode. Gastly's talking ability didn't make much sense either since we've never seen other talking Gastly.

Presumably the Ghos that we saw here was so old that it had time to learn how to speak human languages. As for Kojirou, he was incredibly out-of-character in this episode in general.

Manchee

extra toasty
Funny how James didn't seem to ever like girls except in this episode.

lol...

I was not a fan of this episode. It wasn't an interesting way to show off Gastly or to have Ash, Brock, and Misty work together with Team Rocket. I did like Gastly posing as both the young maiden and the old woman, but their dialogue was one-note and didn't build very well throughout the episode to make it super shocking when it was revealed to be Gastly.

Leonhart

Imagineer
It wasn't an interesting way to show off Gastly or to have Ash, Brock, and Misty work together with Team Rocket.

Satoshi and his friends barely cooperated with Musashi and Nyasu, and in the end it was only Musashi and Nyasu who seemed to care about Kojirou's fate, while Satoshi and Kasumi focused on Takeshi.

Manchee

extra toasty
Satoshi and his friends barely cooperated with Musashi and Nyasu, and in the end it was only Musashi and Nyasu who seemed to care about Kojirou's fate, while Satoshi and Kasumi focused on Takeshi.

I don't know what any of that means. I know which one Ash is in that sentence but I can't be bothered to look them all up to continue on with the discussion.

The ghost festival seemed so fun and I wanted to see more of it and less of Brock and James acting like lovestruck idiots. When Gastly transformed into the mongoose, I mistook it for an actual Pokemon of some kind.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I don't know what any of that means. I know which one Ash is in that sentence but I can't be bothered to look them all up to continue on with the discussion.

Kasumi is Misty, Takeshi is Brock, Kojirou is James, Musashi is Jessie, and Nyasu is Meowth. I was simply saying that no one except Jessie and Meowth seemed to care about James's fate, which is kind of cruel when I think about it since the cast is usually sympathetic to everyone they meet, even villains who are in danger.

gentwoer

Now THIS is how you do filler right. One of my all time favorite episodes of the classic series. A lot of funny one-liners and deliveries from the dub cast. The premise was pretty cool and an uber powerful talking Ghastly was a pretty neat idea. In fact iirc this is the only time in the original series a Pokemon other than Meowth actually talked without using telepathy.

For the "James is gay" people this kind of puts a damper on that as he's plainly attracted to a woman and his teammates doesn't think that itself is out of the ordinary. If you're a Rocketshipper or a Pokeshipper you'll probably like this episode. You have Jessie blasting the "ghost of the maiden" and telling her she can't have [James] and you have Ash noticing Misty for the first time.

Favorite moments/lines

Jessie saying the motto by herself at first and then using it to locate James

"Who am I? I am Brock. Hmmmm" (just Eric Stuart's line delivery on that)

Jessie: Girls like her disgust me, always waiting on her man as if she was his faithful pet. She cries. But I say see you later!

The whole battle with Ghastly.

"It's a cross! I also have garlic, a stake, and a hammer!"

So far this is my favorite episode of the series right now

Side note: This thread is incorrectly tiled. The episode is called The Ghost OF Maiden's Peak not The Ghost AT Maiden's Peak

Last edited:

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Gastly's abilities were so ridiculous here. I disliked when it created a mongoose illusion, but then again, Zangoose/Gumshoos weren't created yet. The backstory of the Maiden's peak was cliche, but still sad. I liked seeing Misty with her hair down and the dance scene.
7/10

Daizy

I call you honey
Gastly's abilities were so ridiculous here. I disliked when it created a mongoose illusion, but then again, Zangoose/Gumshoos weren't created yet. The backstory of the Maiden's peak was cliche, but still sad. I liked seeing Misty with her hair down and the dance scene.
7/10

I loved that part when Misty showed us her normal hair at the festival. I always wanted her to go back to that simple design someday.

Leonhart

Imagineer
gentwoer said:
For the "James is gay" people this kind of puts a damper on that as he's plainly attracted to a woman and his teammates doesn't think that itself is out of the ordinary.

While he was attracted to her at the beginning, I feel like the fact that he eventually got scared and didn't want any involvement with her kind of nullifies his crush.

This episode made me realize just how much Brock liked girls since I think this was the first time that we saw him talk about them and also fall in love with one. I didn't like how Gastly could shapeshift so much however because it made him seem way too OP and in the end Ash and the others didn't even defeat him since it was daybreak that caused him to flee the area.

Leonhart

Imagineer
FullmetalJackie said:
This episode made me realize just how much Brock liked girls since I think this was the first time that we saw him talk about them and also fall in love with one. I didn't like how Gastly could shapeshift so much however because it made him seem way too OP and in the end Ash and the others didn't even defeat him since it was daybreak that caused him to flee the area.

This was early Kanto which was notorious for doing all kinds of illogical things simply for the plot's sake. We've seen Ghost-types conjure illusions though, which makes me wonder if the shapeshifting was an actual illusion here as well.

This was a better episode than the last one and it felt like the end of the tropical vacation story arc because Brock mentioned that summer was about to end. I liked how the ghost was a Gastly that was just trying to keep old legends alive and make a quick buck out of his work and it was sad that the real maiden's ghost really existed and waited for her dead lover. I thought that the festival at the end was the best part because Misty looked so pretty. 8/10

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
I never understood why James was totally in love with the maiden even though he would almost never show affection for females later in the series.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
I never understood why James was totally in love with the maiden even though he would almost never show affection for females later in the series.

I don't know why Kojirou was attracted to her and no other females after this episode, but at least his way of reacting to the young woman's ghost was more realistic compared to Takeshi's reaction since Kojirou snapped out of his infatuation with the young woman quicker and seemed frightened of her halfway through the episode, which seemed more in-character of him.

SerenaRulez

7/10

When I saw Misty with her hair down I was curious if that was her natural hair or a wig because she had long hair in the Misty Mermaid episode too but that time it looked like it was fake. So I don't know what to make of her hair here.

Leonhart

Imagineer
SerenaRulez said:
When I saw Misty with her hair down I was curious if that was her natural hair or a wig because she had long hair in the Misty Mermaid episode too but that time it looked like it was fake. So I don't know what to make of her hair here.

I'm fairly certain that it was her real hair, because the length seemed appropriate this time, unlike that ridiculously long wig that she wore in that other episode.